Leica R6.2 - the best SLR

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's certainly one of my best

From my blog review: 

http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/leica-r62-slr-35mm-film-camera.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I took pictures from R3 to R8 and really think the R8 was the most practical.

*Peace  :D

I tend to agree with you, although my experience with the R series is not as wide as yours. However, when thinning out my film cameras, it was the R8 that went and the R6.2 that stayed!

I have one, and I find it to be heavy.  It also doesn't have very much real estate to the left of the lens (viewed from the rear) so I can't hold it in my left hand.  It's main advantage is that it will mount the R lenses.

I never worked with the R3 to 7 cameras... it was only relatively recently I bought my teenage fantasy ... a black Leicaflex SL... followed by an R8. Both excellent bodies, and the lenses are wonderful. The lenses are most of what I've been using on the modern SL.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an R6 which I assume is the same, aside from the 1/1000 vs 1/2000? (and wasn't a compelling enough reason to pay three times the price for me.)

Totally agree about the lenses, the WYSIWYG of an SLR is a nice occasional treat too, though it's amazing how fussy the camera feels after using an M2.

I like the fact I can see if/what film is loaded.

I like that I can see chosen Aperture/Shutter Speed through the viewfinder.

I like the R lenses!

I like that I can use the lenses 'properly', wide open focus with an easy to access DOF lever.

I like interchangeable focus screens.

I like the viewfinder cover (the obturator) for long exposures.

I like the weight/form factor. The lenses balance nicely. (mine are Summicrons/Elmarit, no super telephoto)

I don't like the delay between shutter button and shutter actuation, but it's not a deal breaker.

I don't like the film advance lever at all, it feels somehow limp and unsatisfying to me.

I don't like that to use mirror lock up needs some kind of cable, I never bothered (or will.)

I don't like the big brand name on the front but so what.

I don't like the motor drive/grip, I lost count how many batteries it takes - 52? I never bother but then luckily I don't need it.

I don't mind the loading, it's easy enough.

I don't mind the ISO/EC dial, though it's again a little fussy.

I haven't ever used any other Leica R cameras. Using the R6 feels like some kind of 'super future camera', with DOF preview! spot or full field metering etc.

It really is superb to use the R lenses as originally intended.

The R8 must be mindblowing if I feel this way about R6! but the form factor always looked so strange, I've never seen one in the flesh.

The Leicaflex SL sounds interesting for the mechanical aspect.

The photos will look the same whichever R body you use.

My R of choice is the R3, I have had one for over 30 years (although my original one isn't working reliably now so I have another). I've had no reason to consider a later model.

The sad part is that any R model is now either unrepairable or uneconomical to repair for anything shutter or meter related. 

Nice pics.

However, it's the lens that makes the picture. Would they look different if the same R-lens was attached to an R8 ?

I've both, R6.2 and R8. Holding the R8 is more satisfying, Ergonomics are so superior compared to the R 6.2. Like the R 6.2 for full mechanic action and the need to do diligent metering. I use it more for special occasions and BW film.

The R8 is my companion for traveling, frequent use, manly with colour slide film.

• Like 1

Coogee, I agree that the form factor of the R8 (and R9) does indeed look strange, but once you've actually held them in your hands ........

Do try one if you get the opportunity.

Agree R8 and R9 were known strangely designed bodies.

My First ever Leica was R5. I bought it during 1996-97. But unfortunately, it did not stay for a long time with my other cameras that I  had those days.

I found my M6 in London on a visit and my first impression that on the hand and feeling talked to me to buy it.

So I part exchanged and that camera is still with me after 19 years looking as I have found then.

R5 is a good camera. But R6 and R6.2 is better.

R6 cameras are the Favourites cameras of  " William Klein " - Magnum Master. 

A seller tossed in an R3 body when I bought a lens from him. At the time I thought it would make a nice paperweight, but it tested out fine and was a very good catch. Years later I bought an R8 from a doctor who was thinning his camera goodies, which was also a great camera, but I never used all the features it incorporated, and went back to the R3, which along with a Leicaflex SL2 were my absolute favorite Leica SLR bodies.

If I ever see an R8 or Leicaflex in the wild, I'll be certain to take a closer look.

The R6 certainly surpasses all my needs for now though.

Next time we are across the ditch, I'll make a point of bringing both, so you can sample first-hand.

Until then, a quick snap with the X-Vario.

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thanks Gary sounds great to me (and nice shot of both.) I could bring my 28 Elmarit II and 90 Summicron out to play.

The 35 Summicron there on the right is my very favourite, such that I've never been remotely interested in the Summilux.

The crazy field curvature and colours are the best. I never found an M Summicron that quite matched it, despite trying almost all of them.

A random family shot with mine...

30953265753_260ef43bee_b.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Gary sounds great to me (and nice shot of both.) I could bring my 28 Elmarit II and 90 Summicron out to play.

The 35 Summicron there on the right is my very favourite, such that I've never been remotely interested in the Summilux.

The crazy field curvature and colours are the best. I never found an M Summicron that quite matched it, despite trying almost all of them.

A random family shot with mine...

30953265753_260ef43bee_b.jpg

Nice! I picked that as a Sydney street scene before I'd seen who posted. In fact I think I recognise the street. Maybe :-)

Mark

Edited by MarkP