Who is waiting for the M10-P

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The marketing strategy seems to accomplish good things for Leica. The introduction of a "P" model smooths out demand over time and allows for Leica to charge a premium late in the product cycle. Maybe even sell some customers 2 cameras or an upgrade? Brilliant!

• 1 month later...

For me, if I'm buying a new Leica, I want it to look like, well, a Leica. I think my M9-P is the most beautiful camera I've owned since my '64 M2. And, for some reason, the lack of a red dot and an "M" on the front makes it more "old film camera" to my subjects. It it came in real silver, not that weird stuff the M9 had on its top plate.

IMO it's also a much more elegant piece of design.

24399884570_fd4aa7801a_b.jpg

Leica M9-P With Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5, January 22, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

• Like 7

The M10 in its black chrome guise is already a serious and refined looking piece of kit. I'm not sure a black paint version without the red dot and a "Leica" script on top is particularly desirable. 

My preference is the M10 black chrome, which feels much better in your hands, particularly when they are clammy in the heat and humidity of the tropics, where my black paint M9-P felt unpleasant to hold.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

The m10 in black is very nice. The body covering is much nicer and has more grip than my M9. The red dot doesn't take away from the overall look. I never used the 240 but the m10 is such a joy to use compared to the M9. Plus the files are easy to post process; I heard some rumblings about the lack of pop compared to M9 files but honestly you can add that look in post very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with every word Maggie said! Here's a iiib from 1939..

..sorry I can't seem to attach the photo - now you know why I use my M9-P more than my Nikon DSLR.. ..will keep trying!

Edited by Denys
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10-P, why not ?

How about M10-M ?

If this Monochrom with M10 ideals come in few years, I would replace my Monochrom by then.

While waiting, I have plenty enough gear to play with.

And plain M10 is far better than my skill :p I enjoy it for two months now, every minutes  :wub: .

• Like 1

The marketing strategy seems to accomplish good things for Leica. The introduction of a "P" model smooths out demand over time and allows for Leica to charge a premium late in the product cycle. Maybe even sell some customers 2 cameras or an upgrade? Brilliant!

On the other hand, there are some (like me) who would have paid more for one now, but will get the base model instead and pass on any future minor upgrade.

Jeff

• Like 1

As would I... but I started with the -P model and my current M240P is fine for another year or so before the M10-P arrives.

I like the traditional look of the Leica script on the top plate - and any additional minor upgrades over the base model are a nice plus... and of course, upgrading on the 'P' part of the cycle makes the interval just the same.

(Plus of course, we get a chance to see the 'new' model for a year or two prior to possible purchase - which may be a benefit for the more risk averse).

• Like 1

I followed that philosophy by skipping the M8 and buying the more refined and reliable M8.2 (still have it as backup). And I waited for the early adopters to work through any issues before buying the M240, but before the P version.

I jumped on the M10, however, mostly because of that wonderful VF. The M240 gave me confidence that Leica has finally figured out how to deliver a robust digital M without severe teething issues.

That said, I wish they would provide choices upfront, even at a premium, without the usual dance routine. Or offer a la carte versions from the outset....they've got the wait ritual nailed already.

Jeff

The M10 seems a very mature product to me. If I was in the market, I'd go a la carte, I think.

Nice idea for "à la carte M10" :

x 0.85 finder would be my choise to use RF Noctilux/Summilux 75mm :)

and if Black Paint is an option, I'd order one "BP/0.85", with the same "black leather" as the original M10 that is as good as can be ( almost as nice as Vulcanite of old analog M ).

• Like 1

Nice idea for "à la carte M10" :

x 0.85 finder would be my choise to use RF Noctilux/Summilux 75mm :)

and if Black Paint is an option, I'd order one "BP/0.85", with the same "black leather" as the original M10 that is as good as can be ( almost as nice as Vulcanite of old analog M ).

But my earlier point was that the M10 isn't yet under the a la carte program. No surprise given Leica's back order issues, but a missed opportunity to sell at a premium.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff, sorry that you are waiting for your M10.

I hope that will end soon.

But if that "à la carte" program become available, someone will be glad to buy second hand one M10 (mine, mint).

Not for now with so many back orders.

If you already have an M10, I don't see why you don't send it in for personalisation. You might not get the viewfinder modification, but you should be able to get different top and bottom decks and leather covering of your choice. That's what I did with the v1 Monochrom.

Jeff, sorry that you are waiting for your M10.

I hope that will end soon.

But if that "à la carte" program become available, someone will be glad to buy second hand one M10 (mine, mint).

Not for now with so many back orders.

I get mine this week.... before the price increase. I was content to wait longer, but decided to get resouceful when Leica made the announcement.

Jeff

If you already have an M10, I don't see why you don't send it in for personalisation. You might not get the viewfinder modification, but you should be able to get different top and bottom decks and leather covering of your choice. That's what I did with the v1 Monochrom.

But how long had the MM been in production? I'm not sure there is any ability to customize the M10 at this point with all the back orders. I'll check it out with my Leica contact tomorrow.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

I already have an M10-P for testing...Just kidding! A little bit of photoshop work shows how it could look in real life. Sometimes, small differences do matter and I think it looks really great! I probably gonna wait until it is released and then see, if it is worth the cost. For me, an electronic shutter and mechanical 1/8000 shutter speed would be all I wanted. 

file:///var/folders/f5/s2x66x596ll05sslg66k3mxr0000gn/T/Leica%20M10-P%20Mockup%20Final.jpg