No M-D typ262 in new brochure?

PhotoEd

I don't think the M brochure is ever gospel (I recall the main system brochure not including the film cameras at one time) but it is probably a reasonable indication that Leica are probably not going to make another batch of the M-D and will let it quietly disappear from the product range. For such a small company, Leica offer a large (arguably too large) range of cameras – 5 flavours of digital and 3 film bodies in the M system alone – which is very different from the company of old.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess you could be right. That would be a sad decision, because in my opinion the M-D represents the real essence of digital rangefinder photography. I don't like pushing buttons, working through menu's and checking every exposre made. I know, you can setup the camera and just forget about it, but still... it doesn't work with me like that. Less is more and the restrictions make you a better observer. All I ever wanted was a digital version of the M6, MP or even M7 where only the film is replaced by a digital sensor. And the M-D gave me all of that. Just a couple of simple well known parameters to control. Absolutely true to the basic Leica philosophy. I do hope they will come up with a M-D based on the M10 body and technology. Unfortunately I have to pass on that one, because I spent all my money on the current M-D. And I sure not regret it!!!

• Like 2

That ^ is what I was thinking.  Since the M10 has an analog ISO dial, one could ostensibly cover the LCD and never take it off.  I basically do that with my M240 (half-case with flap) as I rarely change even ISO.  I wouldn't be surprised if Leica or some enterprising 3rd-party vendor comes up with a rigid, opaque static-cling LCD protector made to resemble Vulcanite. 

Maybe I should buy a second M-D when I sell my M-P in that case. 

Covering the LCD doesn't remove it and the control buttons from the back of the camera, which is what I like most about the M-D: improved handling through no LCD or buttons on the back. Just the ISO dial, which doesn't get in the way of my fingers. 

Today I held the new M10 in my hands and I must admit... the feel has improved a lot. The slimmer body feels like holding an analogue M. But still, I wouldn't trade it for my M-D because the purity of the M-D is just perfect. A slimmed down M-D would be the way to go imho. 

The M-D was just a run-out model, clearing stuff out of the parts bin prior to the introduction of the M10. The fact that there are hundreds lying around after such a short production run, and that there are M60s in every Leica shop you visit, suggest that in 2017 there isn't much of a market for a camera without a screen.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if Leica felt that the M10 and M-D appeal to the same customer group.

But maybe, one day, there will be an M10-D.

It's already there.... :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The M-D was just a run-out model, clearing stuff out of the parts bin prior to the introduction of the M10. The fact that there are hundreds lying around after such a short production run, and that there are M60s in every Leica shop you visit, suggest that in 2017 there isn't much of a market for a camera without a screen.

I guess you could be right. That would be a sad decision, because in my opinion the M-D represents the real essence of digital rangefinder photography. I don't like pushing buttons, working through menu's and checking every exposre made. I know, you can setup the camera and just forget about it, but still... it doesn't work with me like that. Less is more and the restrictions make you a better observer. All I ever wanted was a digital version of the M6, MP or even M7 where only the film is replaced by a digital sensor. And the M-D gave me all of that. Just a couple of simple well known parameters to control. Absolutely true to the basic Leica philosophy. I do hope they will come up with a M-D based on the M10 body and technology. Unfortunately I have to pass on that one, because I spent all my money on the current M-D. And I sure not regret it!!!

I'm enjoying my M-D as well.