leica elmarit M 90mm f2.8 version 1 -- help

tifh21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

made a thread deciding between 75 and 90 but after some research i found that i preferred the 90mm length.. so i was planning to buy this lens as my portrait basically bec it's the one that best fits my budget. what do you guys think? should i go for this or would it be better to adapt a lens from other companies like nikon 85mm f1.8.

im fine with adapting lenses since im using the m240 and i have an evf, but i also like leica lenses in general bec i can use the rangefinder way of focusing... anyway any opinions or sample shots would be appreciated thanks

Edited by tifh21

From the illustration it looks more like an Elmarit and a Tele-Elmarit. It should be fine apart from lack of coding. But you could get that done later, if necessary. It is 1960s vintage. Much depends on your test results. Focusing might be a little stiff. If so, that would be due to lack of use over many years and should ease with a little regular exercising.

It is an Elmarit 90/2.8 v1 indeed (# 11129). A bit soft at f/2.8 but plenty sharp at f/4 and above. It has a bit of CA at full aperture but no significant vignetting nor distortion. Flares less than the Tele-Elmarit "thin" 90/2.8. Its optical cell (# 11026) can be removed for use with an optical Visoflex. One of my favorite 90s for portraits.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

i want this one too. if you guys were to choose, which one do you think is better for portraits

http://www.fotopia.com.hk/?full#!product/showAjax/2605/Nippon%20Kogaku%20Nikkor-P.C%2085mm%20F2%20-%20LTM

This is very famous lens. I would prefer it. However, you must check calibration. It's easy and can be done with your body in the shop, and of course you would want to check this with elmarit also. If you receive by mail be sure you have right of return. This was the lens which attracted David Duncan's attention to nikkor, and caused LIFE to switch. It is extremely good WO and stopped down. Mine is in Contax mount. For portrait I would prefer it to my 75 Lux.

Build is excellent, glass is very hard. It was extensively tested against the Zeiss 85/2 in the USA by Eastern Optical. Beat the Zeiss on all counts.

24971464664_d81e48b92c_z.jpg

Entanglement by unoh7, on Flickr

WO on M9:

30615009465_a1548f9ffe_b.jpg

Centerpiece by unoh7, on Flickr

on A7.mod (thin-filter):

25483568572_7957489594_b.jpg

DSC09624 by unoh7, on Flickr

also it is not large or that heavy

24976009233_94b6ea0b58_b.jpg

Hot Rod Shop by unoh7, on Flickr

This is the greatest Sonnar of all. The 50mm F/1.5 sonnars all have trouble on the edges, compared to D-gauss, so while they have a nice look, technically they are weaker, including ZM 50/1.5. Not this 85. You can shoot landscape no problem, even with fast aperture. Superior to all variants, CZJ 85/2, J9, and ZM85/2.

Arguably the best lens ever made by Nikkor, to this day. Many copies were made. It is not rare, and few realize how outstanding it is, because the very rare 85/1.5 gets the lust :)

I got both of those lenses for 85USD. I was completely shocked by the 85, even though I knew the stories. Mine is not a clean copy, dented filter ring, cleaning marks on front element. Yet look at it:

29980958903_7f7d674051_b.jpg

Late Foliage by unoh7, M9 82/2 @f/5.6

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 2

No experience with this Nikkor but are you sure it can be focused on a Leica M?

It sure does work perfectly on Leica M, along with a Ltm-M adapter.

I sold it a few days ago though, it is too heavy because all made out of brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It sure does work perfectly on Leica M, along with a Ltm-M adapter.

I sold it a few days ago though, it is too heavy because all made out of brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

382 grams in Contax Mount. The lens is short. Is there such a fast 75/85/90 much lighter? 75 APO is 430 grams. The lightest 90 cron is 475 grams.

If weight is critical, then the Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 Thin is very nice at just over 200 grams and you see them go for 500USD. At f/8 they are the equal of the Elmarit-M according to Puts. Very nice classic look WO.

32133532195_d742f1a85c_z.jpg

Cuties by unoh7, on Flickr

I think the elmarit OP is looking at is 330 grams.

On nikkor swirl. With leaves/trees it has a very mild swirl. Not a dominant trait, but it can appear as seen above.

30586144226_30a7ceedef_b.jpg

Fall Bounty by unoh7, Nikkor 82/WO

Edited by uhoh7

382 grams in Contax Mount. The lens is short. Is there such a fast 75/85/90 much lighter? 75 APO is 430 grams. The lightest 90 cron is 475 grams.

If weight is critical, then the Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 Thin is very nice at just over 200 grams and you see them go for 500USD. At f/8 they are the equal of the Elmarit-M according to Puts. Very nice classic look WO.

32133532195_d742f1a85c_z.jpg

Cuties by unoh7, on Flickr

I think the elmarit OP is looking at is 330 grams.

On nikkor swirl. With leaves/trees it has a very mild swirl. Not a dominant trait, but it can appear as seen above.

30586144226_30a7ceedef_b.jpg

Fall Bounty by unoh7, Nikkor 82/WO

OT.

What's that little (neoprene?) cap on the 28mm?

thanks,

s-a