Xenon : more notes

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only thing I noted about the Xenon in my thread on "lenses serials curiosities" is that the lowest serial I had was nº375701 (1937) and that production had started in 1936. After reading again what Dennis Laney writes, I went back to my collection's archives and discovered some interesting photos.

First depicts three models I had : nº376562, 376648 (both 1937) and 490145 (1939). Laney says the engraving succession is : 1) full British and U.S. patents plus D.R.P. (German Reich's patent); 2) only U.S. patent and D.R.P.; 3) D.R.P. only. Now, my lowest serial fits with the second description, and my second serial with the first description. Could the explanation be the different export destination?

Further, nº376648 is engraved "D.R.P.a.". Does the "a" mean "pending"? could a German-speaking mate investigate, please?

Further, I show a comparative image of nº376562 and 376648 : despite the small interval between the two serials, we have here two different models, the first one having three knurled rings, the second one four.

And finally, I publish a photo of a normal version XEMOO with its front cap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

D.R.P.a. the a is for "angemeldet", meaning, they have filed for a patent, but have not gotten it yet

Thank you, harryzet : so, I was right in suggesting the "a." means "pending" in English.

I have, for better or worse, 24 Leitz Xenon lenses rangeing from 288269 to 491729. In my opinion, a very good summary of the variations of this lens is given by:"The Leica Collectors Checklist......." by Wright and Glanfield, First Edition 1974.  Six versions are discussed including some possibly in nickle and the late production, better performing, coated Xenons.

I have some uncertaintly or rather questions to ask regarding the hood and front cap for the Xenon. The above reference suggests that initially the hood from the 73 hektor was used, it certainly fits fine as shown in the photo below (center lens with black round hood), does it allow the full angle of the 50mm lens is a question. As we know later on, the folding hood was available from both wetzlar and new york, shown on the left.

On the right is a Xenon with a black unmarked bakelite lens cap that may have been coded XENCA. Laney does not show this code but Rogliatti ( First 60 years) does.  Also shown is the normal chrome cap code ORDXO.  The subsequent fast lens Summarit also used the ORDXO.

So, is there really a XENCA cap, and is it black?  Was it a temporary cap until the ORDXO came? Or was it just a name change for the same chrome cap, and the black cap is not Leitz?

If anyone knows the history please reply. regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!