Long exposures with high ISO?

Eastgreenlander

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SL is limited to 30 minutes ....... but I have yet to find anyone with the patience to wait another 30 minutes for the NR frame to be taken ........ better than the rest of the Leica digitals but still bonkers. 

Agreed. SL absolutely should  have the option to turn off NR... I would imagine it would be good for Leica too as it's popularity among landscape shooters would certainly increase.

My Canon 5Diii does not take a dark frame as long as the Long Exposure with LENR turned ON. I am not sure why more manufacturers don't implement this type of solution. It is crazy to take a 2 minute exposure then take a 2 minute dark frame. The sensor heats up and the dark frame becomes inaccurate. LENR should be able to be toggled.

Agreed. SL absolutely should  have the option to turn off NR... I would imagine it would be good for Leica too as it's popularity among landscape shooters would certainly increase.

In my view Leica is not interested serving well for landscape photographers. As long as a lot of folks get crazy with every new Leica M and order it without doing a critical review first they will not feel the necessity to care about our needs. Sadly, M10 would have been a great tool for me without those limits. SL might be a bit better, but the forced dark frame is deterrent too.

Edited by ntyilontyilo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Testing a new camera before buying it is a sad story. As an ordinary user/buyer you have very little chance/occasion for that.

What I find much sadder is that even the "professional" testers usually do not see the problem with LENR. Probably because they do not test the camera really in depth. If all "famous" testers would complain about it, the LENR problem would have been fixed years ago.

Often I think they are mainly upgrading their texts in a wordprocessor and enjoy some spare/leisure time, instead of thoroughly testing the features of the new cameras.

Ming Thein complained about the grip of the SL (hurting his hand :unsure: ), but found not much else. Digilloyd complained about the SL lens (focus shift ?) but found no problem with LENR. Huff was simply excited by the SL, and probably also by the new M10 and any new camera to come.

And you can go on like this for several pages. Nobody saying anything about LENR. (good or bad).

A small change that could make life easier for people using longtime exposure. (I still have some CaNikon cameras for this).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

.... SL absolutely should  have the option to turn off NR... I would imagine it would be good for Leica too as it's popularity among landscape shooters would certainly increase.

Agreed.   Fujifilm have driven nails into the SL coffin anyway, from my pov.

I'm actually waiting for an M10 myself, but my understanding from the online instruction manual is that best Bulb mode use would be:

1) you can use self-timer set to 2 or 12 seconds in drive mode, or use the M iPhone app to remotely trigger the shutter release.

2) when you have selected B on the shutter dial press the "focus" button on the front of the camera for about 1 sec to bring up a selection of long timed shutter speeds on the rear LCD from which you can select your exposure time.

Try that.

I'm also quite interested in trying time lapse photography with the "interval" drive mode.

Edited by exile