Best Leica 50mm for Landscapes

kuau

At mid-aperture, infinity, I doubt very much that anyone could tell the difference between any of the 50 mm lenses. The stuff in the air mass between the lens and the subject will have a much greater impact than anything else. My favourite, because that is the one I have, is the Rigid. Works great on M3, 4, 6, 9, and M-P, can't beat that.

• Like 5

It's no contest:

20008001265_6787ab7edd_b.jpg

Danger Will Robinson by unoh7, on Flickr

50 Cron v4 is deadly, and stopped down you won't tell it from the APO, but it's WAY smaller WAY lighter and WAY cheaper :)

20013247701_951d99d420_b.jpg

Yellow Lake Approach by unoh7, on Flickr

And the lens is incredible WO:

19386966483_46200e5e0b_b.jpg

Honda Loo by unoh7, on Flickr

Especially close:

32357547876_b72a1eb3b7_b.jpg

L1056632 by US Alpine Championships, on Flickr

The Lux is great in landscape also, but like APO it's bigger, heavier, more $$$.

OK last two at F/8:

22011608232_1cbdb86961_b.jpg

Evening at Smoky Dome by unoh7, on Flickr

21402743003_ea27edaf35_b.jpg

Evening view by unoh7, on Flickr

All these on M9 :)

Walter Mandler's masterpiece...

Read Puts on Elmar-M vs v4 Cron. Look at the charts. It's close, but one is better. Yes the Elmar is even smaller, even lighter...but you have to pull it out ;)

Puts: "Close-up performance of the Summicron-M is on the same level as the performance at infinity setting (actually infinity is that distance where the in- coming light rays are parallel to the optical axis. For most lenses this condition is satisfied at about 100 times the focal length)." Yikes, eat your heart out 50 Lux APSH, cause that little thing does beat you close up, OK your bokeh is better ;)

OK if you have lots of money and a sherpa, the 50 APO is the best. :)

My v4 is 197 grams, the APO is 300.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 8

I prefer the last 50/2.8 as well but this is subjective obviously. Objectively, it is not the sharper lens in the corners at infinity. 50/2 apo, 50/1.4 asph & 50/2.5 (no experience with 50/2.4) have better performances there. 50/2 v4 & v5 have a bit of focus shift around f/4 that is negligible on 3D subjects but for landscapes the center of the frame may appear slightly softer than corners for this reason. Not a problem if you focus stop down with an EVF though and at f/5.6-f/8 differences will be hardly visible on 24MP sensors anyway.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

A bargain option that sacrifices no quality is the Voigtlander 50mm  Heliar f:/3.5.  I don't have experience with the rigid version but the collapsible is phenomenal. Examine Putt's old review if you can find it.  Regards, Ron

An excellent though unusual choice! The lens was only made in Leica screw mount, nickel plated, collapsible. The 2.0/50mm Heliar was first M-bayonet, black, collapsible, then a limited offer in Leica screw mount, nickel plated, rigid but looks like it should collapse. :) It's a fine lens too, and all three variants are actually classic Heliar optically, beyond just carrying the name as some other Voigtlander lenses do.

The f/3.5 aperture should be no handicap for landscapes, as it seems unlikely a landscape shooter would be using wide apertures...

Here's one with the 3.5/50 Heliar on an M(240)...

U77I1400138446.SEQ.0.jpg

Edited by Dougg
  • Like 2

¨OK if you have lots of money and a sherpa, the 50 APO is the best. :)

My v4 is 197 grams, the APO is 300.¨

Of course you need a sherpa to carry the 103 extra grams! Mostly due to the lack of oxygen up there :D

• Like 2

¨OK if you have lots of money and a sherpa, the 50 APO is the best. :)

My v4 is 197 grams, the APO is 300.¨

Of course you need a sherpa to carry the 103 extra grams! Mostly due to the lack of oxygen up there :D

OK I confess, I would love APO :)

• Like 2

Looking for a new Leica 50mm for landscape work so I'm at F5.6 - F8

Which 50 works best at infinity focus?

Summarit

Summicron

Summilux

Thanks everyone...

At f/5.6 - f/8?  You're never going to be able to tell the images apart.  The only differences would be in their flare resistance/characteristics and in the ergonomics.  I have owned a 50 Summicron and a 50 Lux, and the both flared under slightly different light conditions.  I have never owned the Summarit.  My guess is that at hyperlocal distance or infinity focus all three would be equally good.  I'd probably pick a used Summicron--it's somewhat smaller than the Summilux and will hold its value better than the Summarit.  You know, for when you later trade it on on a 'Lux, then trade that in on an APO, then trade that in on a Noctilux only to find you were really happiest with the original Summicron.

- Jared

• Like 2

If a lens manufacturer can't make a lens that is sharp at f/5.6 they shouldn't be in the business so you should be looking at the other aspects of any lens to see if they fit your budget, alternative uses, as well as rendering (sharpness can be just one aspect of how a lens performs).

I call myself a landscape photographer and use a 50mm Summilux, not because it is sharp, but because of what it does if I don't want it to be sharp. Just as landscape photography is about finding the important elements of the landscape and not just getting as much in as possible so opening the aperture can also isolate the important things in the picture. That therefore is one of my alternative criteria for a lens. If however I went back packing I would think about taking the 50mm Elmar for its compactness, and while it is sharp the contrast is more gentle on the eye, actually nicer than the Summilux, making for a less clinical look to the detail and colours. If I was on a budget an older Summicron would make me happy, it's a jack-of-all-trades that doesn't disappoint. What I wouldn't do is buy a lens just because it is lab tested and shown sharper than another, because while at least a tripod is necessary to get the most out of it and make sense of a quest for sharpness, you'll find the great outdoors and nature isn't a lab.

• Like 3

I have two 50 mm lenses which I use for landscapes which are: 50 mm Zeiss Planar ZM f2 lens and 50 mm ASPH Summilux f1.4.  The former is used as a lightweight option and IMO is comparable to the 50 mm Summicron M in optical quality.  The latter although heavier I find excellent for landscapes and also for photographing people when travelling; I really like the way it renders the out of focus parts of the image.