This Is Why Film Photography Is Making a Comeback

Keith (M)

And us old farts reliving our youth with film.

I liked this quote:

“A lot of consumers indicate that they don’t even look at Instax as photography. It’s fun, it’s relaxed, it’s social communication.”

That's exactly how I look at instant photography. I'm using it for a daily photo project, first take a photo with my Sofort, then photograph the photograph in a complimentary context and post that image on Instagram. So while I would never use Instax for a serious photograph I'm finding it fun, and judging by the likes I get other people find it fun too.

• Like 5

Film Photography Is Making a Comeback

For me as film shooter...

Fuji Instax cameras are collecting dust on shelves, in many years I have seen just once someone to be about of buying it and about three times someone with Instax camera on the street.

Film, darkroom supplies in stores are shrinking and bw darkroom paper price jumped twice in 2016. From 50$ per 8x10 RC to 100$ per same box in local retail stores. As result people are ditching darkroom enlargers and else, I see many in local classifieds and one of the last local darkroom dedicated stores have bigger than ever selection of them for next to nothing. I went to one of the local University, they are closing their darkrooms as well.

In 2016 our local Walmart stopped film processing and film is gone from shelves. In the most populated area in Canada where I'm here is only few stores left for film, darkroom supply. 

I walked in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary with M4-2 and have seen maybe ten in total with film cameras over five years. I went to Moscow in 2016 and same thing. No Instax on streets and one person with old FSU film camera. 

India stopped support of local bw film manufacturing in 2015. Shanghai film made in China also ended in 2016. Kodak doubled the bw film price to the price above I was able to afford it in 2012, Fuji did the same with color film.    

So, where is some disconnection from what I read in articles like this, online statements on forums and from manufacturers vs to what I actually see in real life as film shooter. 

"Kodakchrome is coming back, yeah!" Big title with little disclosure - for 10$ per roll with 20$ for processing with four weeks processing time...

And us old farts reliving our youth with film.

I liked this quote:

“A lot of consumers indicate that they don’t even look at Instax as photography. It’s fun, it’s relaxed, it’s social communication.”

That's exactly how I look at instant photography. I'm using it for a daily photo project, first take a photo with my Sofort, then photograph the photograph in a complimentary context and post that image on Instagram. So while I would never use Instax for a serious photograph I'm finding it fun, and judging by the likes I get other people find it fun too.

It's weird and /or sad that some, I hope only a few,  photographers feel that real photography isn't fun isn't it?

I doubt that they think that way deliberately, but too many years accumulating knowledge and equipment must have got to their brains.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that the film comeback is sweeping the world, and digital camera makers and users should quietly go into retirement. But film photography (particularly B&W) has a irrefutable appeal that is more than nostalgia for the smell of fixer.

In my case, the emerging challenge is film processing - I live in the suburbs of Montreal, and for C41 processing I need to go into the city. My volume is low so doing it myself is not very practical - the C41 kits are not best when used for 1-2 rolls, with a long gap between uses. So I have to go into town for processing. All this is necessitated by the fact that I use Ilford XP2 pretty much exclusively.

The advantage is beautiful images that scan very well - but mainly they print beautifully, and the prints have a flavour that is unique to film and silver gelatin paper. There is, IMO, nothing that equals a fine print on sliver paper from a film negative. Generally, most day-to-day camera user don't care - that's fine. But there are still many people who share my viewpoint - the data apparently shows that film and paper sales have risen, and film cameras are still being made to satisfy an existing market.

Now where is my M2.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me as a film shooter, I do see people shooting film (Malaysia, Singapore, Australia). Impossible Project and Lomography have also moved a younger generation to give it a try.

I process my own B&W, and outsource C41. The lack of E6 processing facilities currently acts as my excuse for delaying a return to the mighty transparency.

• Like 3

Hi, I'm a hobby photographer probably just like yourself. I shoot about 10 films on Summer vacation and 2 films every fortnight. I use Tetenal to develop my XP2 C41. I bought in bulk 5 litres. It's holding out well. I am using air replacement to stop the chemicals going off. So far they are fine. Within the next 3 months I will break even after buying all the kit. I don't know if you use a film a week, but if you do then it may be worth giving consideration.

Kind regards

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Fuji Instax cameras are collecting dust on shelves, in many years I have seen just once someone to be about of buying it and about three times someone with Instax camera on the street.

Looking in the wrong places perhaps?

The Wall Street Journal reports that Fuji’s Instax cameras are selling in record numbers and far outpacing the company’s digital cameras. The company estimates that it sold 5 million of the cameras in the fiscal year that just ended last month, and that it will sell at least 6.5 million in the next year.

https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/fujifilms-instax-instant-film-business-booming/

• Like 5

Film, darkroom supplies in stores are shrinking and bw darkroom paper price jumped twice in 2016. From 50$ per 8x10 RC to 100$ per same box in local retail stores. As result people are ditching darkroom enlargers and else, I see many in local classifieds and one of the last local darkroom dedicated stores have bigger than ever selection of them for next to nothing. I went to one of the local University, they are closing their darkrooms as well.

In 2016 our local Walmart stopped film processing and film is gone from shelves. In the most populated area in Canada where I'm here is only few stores left for film, darkroom supply. 

I walked in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary with M4-2 and have seen maybe ten in total with film cameras over five years. I went to Moscow in 2016 and same thing. No Instax on streets and one person with old FSU film camera. 

India stopped support of local bw film manufacturing in 2015. Shanghai film made in China also ended in 2016. Kodak doubled the bw film price to the price above I was able to afford it in 2012, Fuji did the same with color film.    

So, where is some disconnection from what I read in articles like this, online statements on forums and from manufacturers vs to what I actually see in real life as film shooter. 

"Kodakchrome is coming back, yeah!" Big title with little disclosure - for 10$ per roll with 20$ for processing with four weeks processing time...

Several statements here are alternative facts looking what is actually published:

"Film, darkroom supplies in stores are shrinking...." - look into the link within the Time article and you see the opposite is true.

"As result people are ditching darkroom enlargers" - look at rising prices for enlargers in online forums like Craigslist and ebay.

" I went to one of the local University, they are closing their darkrooms as well" - might be true, but others are indeed building darkrooms up again now.

" Walmart stopped film processing.." - yes, and also Costco did. But nevertheless, many photo stores here at the US East Coast are stocking up in 35 mm and MF format film again. Why do you think this is the case? Yep, supply and demand.

• Like 1

Several statements here are alternative facts looking what is actually published:

"Film, darkroom supplies in stores are shrinking...." - look into the link within the Time article and you see the opposite is true.

"As result people are ditching darkroom enlargers" - look at rising prices for enlargers in online forums like Craigslist and ebay.

" I went to one of the local University, they are closing their darkrooms as well" - might be true, but others are indeed building darkrooms up again now.

" Walmart stopped film processing.." - yes, and also Costco did. But nevertheless, many photo stores here at the US East Coast are stocking up in 35 mm and MF format film again. Why do you think this is the case? Yep, supply and demand.

Hi

From a UK perspective film development is alive and well with major stores and small printing outlets bursting full. ASDA (aka Walmart) still do one hour processing and Max Spielman on the high street is so full I can hardly get in the shop! Online D&P seems alive and well too.

I still prefer to do my own though.

Regards Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Photography with film is different - because our cameras are

The force us to see before we are catching something invisible

and for me that gives me other results

Slow down and watch before I press the trigger

Feel the picture, and hold the negative in your hands

which is also only a idea of our vision we have to work out later

in the darkroom

This all needs time and affort, it´s not instant like all the other stuff

in our lifes today - used and trown away and I think people want

and need that change to feel more satisfied.

At last it´s my motivation.......sorry for this little philosophy !

• Like 10

Funny thing is that I have only ever developed two rolls of XP2 in C-41 chemicals. It does very well in HC-110 and in Rodinal, and is quicker, easier and cheaper this way!

Chris

This is what Ilford has to say (from their tech sheets):

"Conventional black and white developers and

fixers are not recommended for use with XP2
SUPER film as inferior results are obtained. Always
use C41 type chemicals."

Makes sense to me.

My suspicion is that they tried it using conventional developer. I also suspect that they designed the film to work in C41 chemistry. This is a place where I trust the manufacturer.

Conventional B&W film may be another matter. There are new formulas (e.g. SPUR) that are designing improvements in developers. However, the manufacturer's basic recommendation will produce excellent negative, capable of making excellent prints. Why would they not - why would Ilford (or anyone else) decide to publish instructions that would produce results that are anything but the best their product can produce?

Is it likely that one of us has found something the manufacturer has missed? Unlikely.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 1

Makes sense to me.

My suspicion is that they tried it using conventional developer. I also suspect that they designed the film to work in C41 chemistry. This is a place where I trust the manufacturer.

Conventional B&W film may be another matter. There are new formulas (e.g. SPUR) that are designing improvements in developers. However, the manufacturer's basic recommendation will produce excellent negative, capable of making excellent prints. Why would they not - why would Ilford (or anyone else) decide to publish instructions that would produce results that are anything but the best their product can produce?

Is it likely that one of us has found something the manufacturer has missed? Unlikely.

The Ilford statement is generic, providing an 'at your own risk' position, which is fine for what it's worth. If you look at Chris' work, you will see that he manages to achieve excellent results with B&W chemistry.

• Like 3