Something loose inside?

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today when I was out walking i noticed something new. A new noice/feeling. I know that there is a noise that that the camera makes when it is not powered on. This is NOT it. When the camera is on and i gently shake the camera up and down. It is like a thumping inside. A damp noice of something moving around.

I have not noticed this before on my Q, and I have had it since the release. I have not dropped it.

Does anyone else also have this? Alla camera or just mine?

Please, this is a serious question, dont tell me not to shake my camera. I noticed this while having it around my neck and in my hand while walking. So no excess force was used.

Edited by matlep

It may be the OIS : search this forum for "rattle" and "OIS". I understand this is not critical, and may be eliminated by resetting the camera. Sorry for not finding the discussion thread now, but there definitely is a detailed one somewhere around.

Sorry if I was being unclear in my post. But it is not the OIS rattle. I am aware of that noice, and the OIS noice is only present when the camera is off. That noise is also a very sharp noice. This is much more damp an present when the camera is on. If you turn on your camera and move it up and down. Is it completely silent?

I think I had the same problème with you.

Mine was the micro part, which can move, it become not that fix and tight anymore. I don't know why.

When you shake it, you can feel the mouvement.

So I send to Wetzlar, they don't say what is the problème but they change my lens.

So I think there is a serious problème.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I had the same problème with you.

Mine was the micro part, which can move, it become not that fix and tight anymore. I don't know why.

When you shake it, you can feel the mouvement.

So I send to Wetzlar, they don't say what is the problème but they change my lens.

So I think there is a serious problème.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Yes. Sure sounds serious! Curious to what they will find in mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else having this issue with their Q?

I had noticed a steadily increasing feeling of looseness inside the lens assembly. I did not have any performance issues but I thought it best to send it in for inspection while it was still under warranty. 

Received this assessment from Leica USA today:

"Necessary labours

fix lens

adjust sensor

adjust autofocus

clean, lubrication and adjustment"

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem today! Something was loosen and moving inside when the camera was off! The problem disappeared when turning it on!  It is very weird!

Just wonder how long is Leica camera warranty? I purchased my Q in Dec 2015, I'm not sure it is still under warranty?

I have exactly the same problem today! Something was loosen and moving inside when the camera was off! The problem disappeared when turning it on!  It is very weird!

Just wonder how long is Leica camera warranty? I purchased my Q in Dec 2015, I'm not sure it is still under warranty?

Without trying to sound too legalistic about it, the warranty really isn't too much of an issue.

First of all, Leica seem to be pretty decent about taking responsibility for defects which they come to realise probably existed at the time of manufacture. Secondly, though, in most countries you will be protected by statutory consumer rights and I'm sure that in Australia just as in the UK you are entitled to expect that your camera will be of satisfactory quality and will remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

In terms of the £3000 camera, I don't think any reasonable consumer would expect to be paying £500-£1000 on a repair within the first five or six years. As it is clear that this issue of something loose inside seems to be not uncommon, I think there will be no difficulty in saying that it is a defect either in manufacture or in design and as such would fall under the protection of the National consumer protection laws of most countries.
  • Like 1

In the Uk the warranty is for 2 years

I live in Sydney Australia but purchased the Leica Q while on holidays in US. How do I get it fixed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well you should have the original receipt and the International warranty card. I would contact Leica in Australia

https://leica-store.com.au/contact-us

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Received my camera back from Leica NJ today. Took about 4 weeks. They replaced the entire lens assembly and now when the camera is powered on there is no wobble or loose feeling inside. What a change! I almost forgot how solid the camera feels. When the power is off the OIS mechanism still moves around inside, but this is normal.