Sonnar 50 as first lens

mkur

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50mm-wise I have Summilux-M ASPH f1.4, ZM Planar f2 & ZM C-Sonnar 1.5.  There is rarely anything other than the Sonnar attached to my M7...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too love my Sonnar and I think it's well worth the effort to get to know it.

Mine is optimised for around f2 at close distance. I barely notice any shift but then I am not too worried about biting sharpness.

I have own a few other Leica 50s and the Sonnar compares very well, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as my only lens.

Here's a shot from earlier today.

• Like 2

Mine was

Did you buy your lens brand new?  I was wondering whether they do that only for brand new lenses, and not for lenses bought 2nd hand.

Mine was done under warranty but my understanding was Zeiss would do it regardless. Don't know if they still do.very fast service and turnaround time. Leica's service times are shameful in comparison.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine was

Mine was done under warranty but my understanding was Zeiss would do it regardless. Don't know if they still do.very fast service and turnaround time. Leica's service times are shameful in comparison.

That's awesome, because I remember reading somewhere a while ago that they only did it for brand new purchases.

No. I downloaded some from from Zeiss' customer service site and sent that in with the lens. I think they asked for credit card information on the form, but didn't charge anything.

That's pretty cool of them.  I came very close to getting one of these lenses too.

• Like 1

Based on some of your recommendations I have decided to buy a Nokton 50 f1.5. My lens arrived yesterday. It is really beautiful, definitely the best looking of my lenses. Also, I was surprised how small it is for such a fast lens. I did not shoot it with my M6, but some quick tests with my Fuji X-E2 are showing that the lens is really sharp.

However, I have some doubts regarding the build quality of the focus ring. While the hard stop at infinity precisely agrees with the engraved markings, I can move the focus ring a little bit beyond the close focus distance of 0,7m. It is my first Voigtlaender lens so I do not know whether this is works at intended? Could someone who also has that lens verify it?

• Like 1

Hel

Based on some of your recommendations I have decided to buy a Nokton 50 f1.5. My lens arrived yesterday. It is really beautiful, definitely the best looking of my lenses. Also, I was surprised how small it is for such a fast lens. I did not shoot it with my M6, but some quick tests with my Fuji X-E2 are showing that the lens is really sharp.

However, I have some doubts regarding the build quality of the focus ring. While the hard stop at infinity precisely agrees with the engraved markings, I can move the focus ring a little bit beyond the close focus distance of 0,7m. It is my first Voigtlaender lens so I do not know whether this is works at intended? Could someone who also has that lens verify it?

Hello! On a side note, have you ever used wide-angle ZM lenses on the X-E2? Like 25mm Biogon zm or 21mm Biogon zm? If so, do they perform well? Any corner issues? Thanks!

[...] have you ever used wide-angle ZM lenses on the X-E2? Like 25mm Biogon zm or 21mm Biogon zm? If so, do they perform well? Any corner issues? [...]

I have no experience with those lenses but the sensor stack of the X-E2 is rather thick so i would not expect sharp corners below f/8. This is my experience with Leica 21/2.8 asph, 21/3.4 asph & 24/3.8 asph at least. Same with the tiny CV 21/4.

• Like 1

Hel

Hello! On a side note, have you ever used wide-angle ZM lenses on the X-E2? Like 25mm Biogon zm or 21mm Biogon zm? If so, do they perform well? Any corner issues? Thanks!

Unfortunately no - this Nokton is my first M-mount lens. However, you might check the FujiX-forum. That site has a dedicated subforum for adapted lenses. 

As it can be seen in the attached image I can set the focus distance on my Nokton 50mm f1.5 a little bit closer than the minimum focus distance of 0.7. Is this a feature of that lens type or do I have a bad copy? I would appreciate if someone could check it on his or her copy of that lens.

Thanks!

I have no experience with those lenses but the sensor stack of the X-E2 is rather thick so i would not expect sharp corners below f/8. This is my experience with Leica 21/2.8 asph, 21/3.4 asph & 24/3.8 asph at least. Same with the tiny CV 21/4.

Thanks a lot! This is consistent with what I've heard. Too bad...

Unfortunately no - this Nokton is my first M-mount lens. However, you might check the FujiX-forum. That site has a dedicated subforum for adapted lenses. 

I did some research from the Fuji x forum. I read the same thing that lct said. Basically, corner performance is bad when wide angle M lenses are mounted to Fuji Xs.

As it can be seen in the attached image I can set the focus distance on my Nokton 50mm f1.5 a little bit closer than the minimum focus distance of 0.7. Is this a feature of that lens type or do I have a bad copy? I would appreciate if someone could check it on his or her copy of that lens.

Thanks!

Nobody with a Nokton at hand to check it? Pretty please  :)

Looks normal from my Nokton and many other lenses. Infinity should be an exact point, but as long as close focus at least reaches the minimum mark, a bit farther won't matter.

Some CV (and other) lenses focus much closer than .7 meters, so the camera's RF won't track all the way to the minimum. You just have to be aware of when the RF patch stops moving, and when closer focus by scale.

Same is true when using a .7 lens on an un-modified M3, where the RF only tracks to 1 meter.

• Like 1

Looks normal from my Nokton and many other lenses. Infinity should be an exact point, but as long as close focus at least reaches the minimum mark, a bit farther won't matter.

Some CV (and other) lenses focus much closer than .7 meters, so the camera's RF won't track all the way to the minimum. You just have to be aware of when the RF patch stops moving, and when closer focus by scale.

Same is true when using a .7 lens on an un-modified M3, where the RF only tracks to 1 meter.

Thank you! After reading all that comments about varying quality control at CV I was a litte worried. Good to know that my lens behaves as it should  :D  

I shoot with both the 50mm Summilux and C-Sonnar. From the two, I prefer the images from the C-Sonnar, but the handling of the Summilux. For me, the downsides to the C-Sonnar are the 0.9m minimum focus distance and the more minimalistic focusing tab - and for that reason I tend to shoot the Summilux more. The Summilux has a much more clinical look.

I do not find the C-Sonnar focus shift an issue at all. If at f2 or smaller, or at more than 2m distance, it is a non-issue. If shooting wide-open at minimum focus distance, just nudge the focus ring or lean forward a couple of cm.

The Zeiss 2/50 planar lens is less tricky to use and sharper (if that is important). But beware the 43mm filter size and the all the pain that entails...

• Like 1

Hel

ZM 21/2.8 will be fine. Fantastic lens. Very friendly to thick stacks.

• Like 1