SD Card compatibility issue?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have tested with 3 memory card. But below cards do not work with M10.

----------------------------------------

Sony 64GB SDXC :  SF-64UX2

Samsung 64GB SDXC : SDXC Class10 Pro UHS-I

Samsung 16GB SDHC : SDHC Class10 Pro UHS-I

of course, these cards work well with M240.

Can you tell us which cards DO work - interested to know.  I've had no problem with SDHC cards - only the Lexar 64GB SDXC...

• Like 1

I used my Samsung 64MB PRO SDXC 1 Class 10 without an issue on the M10, I forgot even to format it, so there were a load of images already on it taken with the SL. I could see by date taken the M. When I installed the card my Mac recognised it as LEICA M. All images are playable in the SL, but the card when put back in Mac is shown as LEICA M.

If it's not broke don't fix it.

I was referring to articles I found published by leica on line and as someone else pointed out it also had to with the limitation specific cards.

Looks like your milage is different than others.

Edited by ru2far2c

• 2 weeks later...

I used the following cards successfully:

Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro SD HC I 95mb/s

Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD HC I 95mb/s

Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SD HC I 95mb/s (others have reported sporadic issues with this card- mainly slow playback performance)

Sandisk 32gb Extreme SD HC I 45mb/s

Lexar SD HC I 16gb 600x

Lexar Professional SD XC II 2000x 300mb/s *  (this card seems to work the best so far- although the M10 doesn't support the added contacts so no speed advantage in camera- I do see significant benefit copying files to MBPro)

DOES NOT WORK:

PNY Elite Performance 32gb SD HC I 95mb/s- This card formatted in camera initially- but shutter won't fire while card is loaded and trying to reformat the card doesn't work.

​* Ive used this card as primary and haven't had any issues. The other cards were only tested briefly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got this kind of DNG files with my M10 + Samsung 35GB SDHC UHS I  : formatted with the M10 in FAT32.

This card works fine with my Q.

The preview was fine, but the DNG is damaged :

l1000610.jpg

l1000810.jpg

l1000811.jpg

3 damages files over 300 taken last saturday.

I am very disappointed that Leica Ms still got SD Card compatibility issues

Edited by nicci78

I've got this kind of DNG files with my M10 + Samsung 35GB SDHC UHS I  : formatted with the M10 in FAT32.

This card works fine with my Q.

The preview was fine, but the DNG is damaged :

l1000610.jpg

l1000810.jpg

l1000811.jpg

3 damages files over 300 taken last saturday.

I am very disappointed that Leica Ms still got SD Card compatibility issues

Try formatting the card to EXFAT Normally faster and more stable. FAT32 is an older system, not compatible with all devices any more.

BTW, I have seen issues like this resulting from dirty/greasy (fingers when handling the card!) contacts.

I have used the following:

- SanDisk Extreme PRO, 95mb SDXC 128GB: usually works but I have had a couple of cases where the camera would say it was full (when it only had about 5-6 photos). After removing the battery a couple of times it worked again (first removal did not change anything).

- SanDisk Ultra, 80mb SDHC 32GB (provided by Leica Store): no issue

• Like 1

I played with an M10 for about 10 minutes yesterday in one of the Leica Stores in Europe. They had a 16GB card in it, not sure what brand / model (only saw info in the menu). What I noticed was (i) the images took very long to write on the card, and (ii) some images didn't show on the display. Only file name was visible, but no image. It was on and off - not sure if I tried to review the images too early, while the buffer was still clearing, but I didn't take a large number of pictures (maybe 15-20 in a short time). The sales assistant said the card had been in an M240 before. I formatted the card in the camera and then it displayed the next 5 or so images normally, even though it was still quite slow to write them (the bottom green light flashing). I didn't have more time to explore but frankly was a bit surprised at this behaviour...didn't inspire confidence. (Note: I've used the M8/M9/M240/246 extensively, so I know what the "normal" parameters and behaviour in the digital Leica M world are and this didn't feel right to me, especially after all the talk about how "quick" the M10 is supposed to be). 

[Perhaps off topic and unnecessary provocation here - I've been shooting with the XT-2 and X-Pro2 recently...it makes for a nice change to have no problems with SD cards, buffer size/speed or dirt/gunk on the sensor in a brand new camera].

I have the same problem since day one with my new M10. I have so far tried 3 Sd cards - 2 Sandisk and 1 Sony. Brand New cards.

All have the same problem. With every shoot there will be a few images where only the JPG images are recorded. The RAW image will be there but cannot be opened/read by both the camera nor my computer.

I have shot more than 10 sets of photos on these 3 cards and the problem exist in everyone of these shoots. So it is definitely not a card issue.

I also had my firmware upgraded by the Leica Boutique to 1.3.4.0 - problem is still there

Emailed the Shanghai Leica service department (I am working in Hong Kong). No answer for almost a week. Then came back with just a "upgrade to new firmware"

Emailed Leica Germany - got a response in a day (thank you) but no real help either. Says that there may be some incompatibility with some cards and they are looking into it and added that the new firmware 1.3.40 does not address this issue and I will have to wait for newer firmware. Why are so cameras affected and other s not?

Funny thing is why does the Shanghai Service centre not know that the firmware update does not help? When I initially called the customer service hotline, they could not be bothered to even try to understand my problem. All she said was send the camera to Shanghai for repairs and she could not even give me the correct phone number for proper enquiries. I had to track down their email address myself. 

Other cards I am using with no problems, same as someone else card first used in SL, and now recognised in M10 along with images also taken on the SL.

The card: Lexar Professional 16GB SD3 HC II, 10 1000x 150 MB/s - what a mouthful! Anyway no issues with these cards on either SL or M10.

The SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 95/fps worked for recording images, but not for playback. I'm sticking to 32GB cards from now on.

I sticking with 16GB mainly and a couple of 32GB Samsung.