M7 Flaring - rangefinder patch upgrade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Just after Christmas I received my new (to me) Leica M7. Compared the the Zeiss Ikon I had used previously, I notice the rangefinder patch flares quite a bit. I've read a few bits of information regarding MP viewfinders, upgrades, some serials which designate MP or original M7, but it's all a bit confused and I'd love some clarification.

1. How does the MP viewfinder/rangefinder patch differ from the original M7 one?
  2. How can you tell whether a M7 has the original or the MP version?
  3. Where can this upgrade be done within the UK?
  4. How much will it cost roughly?

Thanks!

*picture for eye candy  B)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicodemus3d

If it flares easily it isn't the new design. I had my M6 upgraded last year to include both the "flare fix" and the newer multicoated window, and after that it is about equal to my Ikon ZM (which has a great finder). Mine was done by DAG in the US, and wasn't cheap (he didn't think the multicoated window was worth the cost), but the improvement is worth it to me, in spite of having used the M6 since 1985 thinking it wasn't that bad. It was the Ikon that convinced me to upgrade, as my old eyes need all the help they can get. The finder is also why I ordered an M10 to replace my M9.

• Like 1

Nico , congrats for your M7 almost new . It's really a good camera ,giving very nice pictures

with a shutter "the fastest" as said Depardon (Magnum agency)

Some pictures of my M7 here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=3195478

For some M7 in the beginning of the production you can have a little flare in the RF

and you can upgrade to have MP RF without flare.

Here some useful links

Jaap puts his hand " I simply shade the camera with my hand, Sioux style." :)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25892

http://nemeng.com/leica/020b.shtml

http://www.leicagoodies.com/shade.html

My M7 has no flare !

Please share your pictures in "I like film" 's thread. Thanks

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Mine was done by DAG in the US, and wasn't cheap (he didn't think the multicoated window was worth the cost), but the improvement is worth it to me

Thanks Tom this is good to know. I love the Ikon ZMs viewfinder and was a little disappointed at how easily the my M7 flares in comparison. Could you say roughly how much it cost for the upgrade and how much for the coating? Would be great to have ballpark figures.

-Mike

1. How can you tell whether a M7 has the original or the MP version?

*picture for eye candy  B)

attachicon.gif47101321-ACF9-4A5E-8306-F60B46055039.JPG

Nice looking M7.

A very rough rule of thumb is that M7 bodies with serial numbers 2885xxx or later will have the MP style viewfinder. There is also usually an orange sticker on the box which makes it clear whether the camera has the newer style VF.

A very rough rule of thumb is that M7 bodies with serial numbers 2885xxx or later will have the MP style viewfinder. There is also usually an orange sticker on the box.

Thanks Wattsy. My serial starts 2783xxx and there's no orange sticker on the box.

Do you know where the best place is to get a quote in the UK for making the upgrade?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Wattsy. My serial starts 2783xxx and there's no orange sticker on the box.

Do you know where the best place is to get a quote in the UK for making the upgrade?

It wouldn't hurt to ask Leica themselves (at least to get a benchmark figure) but my understanding is that Leica in Germany are charging €600 or so nowadays just to CLA an M7 so I think you will have to go to an independent technician to make the upgrade cost effective. Much will depend upon the availability of the necessary parts and the willingness of the technician to work on the M7 (some reputedly shy away from the M7 because of its extra electronics). You might want to ask Philip (Philipus) who frequents the film threads – he has had his M6TTL viewfinder upgraded and is likely to know a good technician who can do the job.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
21 minutes ago, MCF74 said:

It's been a long time, but did you get the upgraded viewfinder in the end? I've a M6TTL (serial no 273xxxxxx) – and the flair bugs me. UK-based too and was thinking of asking around for a price.

The flare in the rangefinder patch only has any relevance if it so happens that what you want too focus on exactly coincides with how you want to frame the image. In 99% of rangefinder images what you focus on and the framing will take place with the camera pointing in different directions. So the idea that the MP upgrade is a game changer is a bogus proposition. And even then changing the angle of your eye to the viewfinder can also stop any flare a lot of the time. Sure, the MP upgrade keeps the focusing patch a more or less constant contrast given varying angles of light, but the times you can't compensate for a bit of flare in an older finder are minuscule.