Filter size for 28mm F5.6 Summaron-M

wattsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received the Thorsten 28 Summaron lens hood today and it fits into the 34mm filter very nicely and also has a 39mm thread on the hood so you can use those sizes as well. The hood also comes with a cap (see picture) and a very nice box (would expect nothing less!). An added bonus is with the hood on the 34mm filter it gives a little bit more space than with the Leica hood to turn the aperture dial  - handy for the big handed like me! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ted Lemon
  • Like 1

What make was this Ted? Crap quality aside, I presume it screwed on ok? I don't mind not using the hood because the lens is very deeply set into the lens body and, with the hood on, the lens loses much of its handy small size-ness. I just need a yellow filter for those times when I want a yellow filter.  :D

Sorry for the time taken to respond it was a DIGITAL (make) hood in silver. I now have a 34mm heliopan filter but with my new Thorsten hood (see my latest post) you use 39mm as well.

Sorry for the time taken to respond it was a DIGITAL (make) hood in silver. I now have a 34mm heliopan filter but with my new Thorsten hood (see my latest post) you use 39mm as well.

Thanks. Looks like quite a tidy solution. Just to understand it properly, the Thorsten hood screws into the 34mm filter thread and has an internal E39 thread that can be used for a filter?

I also have the heliopan E34 filter which, as you know, has a female 34mm thread to either stack filters or, in this case, could be used to attach the Thorsten hood. Have you tried it with the Thorsten hood stacked onto the filter? If so, do you know whether it causes any additional vignetting because the lens is quite deeply set and the hood will be projected quite some way forward?

Evidently some of these Heliopan E34 filters are either discontinued or special order availability; here is one source for the yellow version; UV is out of stock.

Steve, Lumiere and Fotoimpex can get all the E34 Heliopan filters. I ordered an SH-PMC (multicoated) version of the yellow 5 from Lumiere and it only took a couple of weeks to arrive. About €50 inc. shipping.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Thanks. Looks like quite a tidy solution. Just to understand it properly, the Thorsten hood screws into the 34mm filter thread and has an internal E39 thread that can be used for a filter?

I also have the heliopan E34 filter which, as you know, has a female 34mm thread to either stack filters or, in this case, could be used to attach the Thorsten hood. Have you tried it with the Thorsten hood stacked onto the filter? If so, do you know whether it causes any additional vignetting because the lens is quite deeply set and the hood will be projected quite some way forward?

Yup, that is correct I emailed Torsten with the same question  - he came back with this....

Yes, you can use filters with it :-)

And it’s in stock in RED, black and silver.

Steve, Lumiere and Fotoimpex can get all the E34 Heliopan filters. I ordered an SH-PMC (multicoated) version of the yellow 5 from Lumiere and it only took a couple of weeks to arrive. About €50 inc. shipping.

I got a yellow and UV 34mm from these nice chaps -  very efficient. https://www.macodirect.de/en/cameras-accessoires/filters/

• 3 weeks later...

Just to give everyone some pertinent information... I bought a SOOGZ from ebay but unfortunately it does not fit...

Inside diameter of SOOGZ adapter where it's supposed to slip over the lens is a hair over 36mm

Outside diameter of NEW 28mm Summaron is a hair over 37.5mm

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to get the SOOGZ adapter over the new Summaron.  In looking at some pictures of the old 28mm Summaron, it looks like Leica made the outside diameter of the new Summaron to be a little bigger than the original...

I'm thinking I should have just gotten the Heliopan filter or the Thorsten instead of trying the SOOGZ... anyway, not I have a SOOGZ adapter with no use for it at the moment.

• Like 1

Just to give everyone some pertinent information... I bought a SOOGZ from ebay but unfortunately it does not fit...

Inside diameter of SOOGZ adapter where it's supposed to slip over the lens is a hair over 36mm

Outside diameter of NEW 28mm Summaron is a hair over 37.5mm

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to get the SOOGZ adapter over the new Summaron.  In looking at some pictures of the old 28mm Summaron, it looks like Leica made the outside diameter of the new Summaron to be a little bigger than the original...

That's interesting and would explain why the hood for the new lens is too loose to clamp on my Heliopan E34. The filter is advertised (though not by Heliopan themselves) as A36 compatible so I had expected the hood to be able to clamp onto it.

This also suggests that the new hood doesn't fit the old Summaron lens. This is a surprise, seems a little unnecessary, and will be a disappointment to anyone with the original lens looking to obtain the new hood rather than pay through the nose for an original SOOBK hood.

Edited by wattsy

• 3 months later...

Canon made a good range of 34mm filters if you feel like taking a chance with used items.

Just to let you all know, the 34mm filters in the Canon filter set FS-34U have 0.5mm pitch thread and will fit the new summaron.

However, like the heliopan filter, the outside diameter of the canon filters is 36mm.

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting the heliopan filter off ebay and I'm sure this goes without being said but the cap that comes with the lens won't fit on the heliopan filter... the included cap is about 1mm too big.  I ended up sourcing a used A36 filter from KEH to put on my lens over the heliopan and this works perfectly... The heliopan filter is black which takes away from the overall look but at least it gives me peace of mind.

Wattsy,

just saw your post. Same experience.The Heliopan UV 34mm fits perfectly but the hood no longer works. Since the Heliopan is black I went looking for a silver one

Found a Marumi 34mm UV but the threads will only go on halfway

Got a Fujiyama PL 34mm silver filter. Fits perfectly too

Looking for a screw on hood now - no luck so far

• Like 1

Wattsy,

just saw your post. Same experience.The Heliopan UV 34mm fits perfectly but the hood no longer works. Since the Heliopan is black I went looking for a silver one

Found a Marumi 34mm UV but the threads will only go on halfway

Got a Fujiyama PL 34mm silver filter. Fits perfectly too

Looking for a screw on hood now - no luck so far

I bought the same filter as well. Fits v well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm the above with pictures. The Heliopan E34 Filters (UV & Yellow) fit beautifully provided you fit the hood first & then fit the filter second, screwing it in over/through the hood. It’s very easy to do & nice if you need to change filters without needing to remove the hood. It definitely holds the hood more securely. Even though I usually fit silver filters on silver lenses I actually like the fact that the Heliopan filters have a black rim as it blends into the black inner surface of the hood & minimises any reflections from a silver/chrome rimmed filter. Thanks to ‘Wattsy’ for sharing his advice on the lens so happily - he’s taking beautiful shots with it! Cheers all.

• Like 2

Thanks to ‘Wattsy’ for sharing his advice on the lens so happily - he’s taking beautiful shots with it! Cheers all.

Thanks Jason. To be fair, it was Ned (NB23) who alerted me to the possibility of screwing the filter in over the hood. Prior to that advice, I'd been messing around with a rubber band around the filter rim and clamping the hood on to that.

Slightly off topic but I am wondering if the new supplied hood will fit onto my old summaron 28/5.6

No. The new hood has an internal diameter a little larger than the old A36 standard. You might be able to get it to work if you put a rubber band inside.

• Like 1