Leica M10 BW conversion vs Monochrome CCD

Fireboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm waiting patiently for my M10 to arrive in a couple of days. I currently shoot with M9M exclusively. I've always wished for a digital M6 and it seems we are getting that fulfilled. 

Depending on how well the files convert to BW I may or may not sell my Monochrom CCD. Has anyone had a chance to compare the two?

I currently post all my M9M images to https://www.instagram.com/jeffkew/

Edited by Fireboy
  • Like 2

I would be interested in seeing it pitted against both MMs if I'm honest, like the ones that were going around comparing the M9M, M240 and MM246. 

I was thinking about the M10 the other day, as GAS finally hit like an itch I need to scratch. To put it into context, I have large hands and happily use the MF grip on my M-P240 with a Thumbs Up and soft release. I've never found the weight to be an issue either (I'm over 110kg or 240lbs or 18 stones).

But the one thing I've been missing is the ability to push into higher ISOs when I don't want shallow DOF, and used to love doing on my MM246 (which I no longer own due to reasons beyond my control). The cost of the upgrade to a M10 is more or less the same as keeping my current M-P and adding a MM246. 

I'm waiting patiently for my M10 to arrive in a couple of days. I currently shoot with M9M exclusively. I've always wished for a digital M6 and it seems we are getting that fulfilled. 

Depending on how well the files convert to BW I may or may not sell my Monochrom CCD. Has anyone had a chance to compare the two?

I currently post all my M9M images to https://www.instagram.com/jeffkew/

I too have both an M9 and an M9M and am curious to know how the M10 stands up to the M9M. If I sell both and my old M8, I may have enough to pick up an M10 for little or nothing. Still, I love the images from my M9M and would welcome a comparison. It sounds like you'll be in the perfect position to post a comparison between both cameras in the near future.

• Like 1

See also what Erwin Puts finds, as well as ReidReviews (subscription).

I see no discussion of the monochrome functionality in the Puts review and I do not subscribe to ReidReviews.  Thanks any way.

Again, I am most interested in Forum early adopters' experiences with both the M10 in monochrome mode and the M246.  I understand the engineering differences but it is the subjective crowd-sourced observations I seek from this specific population.  Those would certainly inform my purchase decision:  specifically, whether to trade in my M8 and M246 for one M10.  At this point, I am not so inclined as I do not expect the M10 in mono to have as good an IQ as does the M246 (although better than the M8) but I am prepared to listen.

Therefore replacing a MM or M246 by a M10 makes no sense. 

It makes complete sense if you don't want two cameras and you shoot color as well. The M10 shoots perfectly fine black and white...and the M246 advantage is not so significant that using one or the other makes "no sense". The MM is a better B&W camera, but the difference is not dramatic at all.

Id suggest the OP subscribe to Reid Reviews and read his M10/M246/M240 comparison and judge for himself. This article alone is worth the subscription price.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

SEAN REID - VERITABLE VEGETABLE QUANDRY!

I was talking to Sean the other day and he said:  These comparisons always seem to boil up to a veritable vegetable quandary. Lettuce remember back in thyme a few months ago with the leek of the first M10 photos. We were then peppered with M10 photos. Beets me how everyone else seemed to have an M10 and all I had was my M-pea. Now that the M10 is out, the sensor comparisons have started and no amount of posts will squash it.  

RickVege   :D 

• Like 8

I do notice a difference between my MM CCD and the M10. With the MM files, straight out of camera, I tweaked exposure and it's good. With the M9 before that, and the M10, I use VSCO film presets for Tri-X 320 as my starting point and I'm very pleased. My main reason for leaving the M9 was poor ISO, which the MM CCD improved on. In 90% of my work, I convert to BW.

I have challenges with the MM CCD. The ISO 320 is unusable as banding is generated on under exposed images. No banding on 400, 800, 1600, 3200. That makes the minimum ISO 400, 2 stops less range than the M10.

The M10 meets my wish list for a digital Leica. I always wanted an M6 but digital - I definitely preferred the smaller form of a film M. Now I have it. I also have base ISO 100, and 2 1/3 more stops above the MM CCD - 12.5, 25. 50. However, I considered 3200 to be the limit on MM CCD and 12.5 on the M10.

I also only want to have one camera, not 2.

Edited by Fireboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It makes complete sense if you don't want two cameras and you shoot color as well. The M10 shoots perfectly fine black and white...and the M246 advantage is not so significant that using one or the other makes "no sense". The MM is a better B&W camera, but the difference is not dramatic at all.

Id suggest the OP subscribe to Reid Reviews and read his M10/M246/M240 comparison and judge for himself. This article alone is worth the subscription price.

It may make sense for you. No problem.   :)

But for me (SL and M246) it is only a waste of money and no improvement in IQ. And in my eyes MM or M246 are very special. Simply using converted b/w is not the same. (the process of using them, not so much the technical result) Like the M-D is special.

And no, I do not want to have a single camera - I know after many years that I need different equipment for different occasions, and I don't mind. I rather enjoy it. (I also use Nikon equipment since almost 20 years and Canon for special occasions.) And I am really happy that we have so much flexibility nowadays.

IQ is today so high compared to the film days (even to 6x6), that I am very pleased with it, and that I will upgrade only very reluctantly.

Edited by steppenw0lf

In my opinion a color image of 24 megapixels has enough data to convert to monochrome with all the advantages us old-timer film users wished for when B&W film was the only option.

Think it out.

Edited by pico