Image sharpness deterioriating

su25

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I have noticed considerable deterioration in image sharpness on my SL with 24-90mm and 75mm Summarit. I have shot about 6300 pics so far. Initially I thought it was something to do with shutter speed, so I increased it to 1/160s, that was not the issue. Then I thought it was an AF issue, but with MF on both lenses gave me the same results - not very sharp images. I thought it was my eyesight, but the pics taken earlier still look sharp :). I cannot figure out what seems to cause this issue. I noticed this issue after installing firmware 2.2, however, it may have nothing to do with the firmware. 

I have yet to reset to factory default. 

Anybody experiencing similar issues? 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Put the camera on a tripod, set the lens to f/8 (for good sharpness and DOF) and shoot a few pictures, near, middle and then far distance. Take the camera off the tripod and try again pointing at the same subjects. Compare.

Other than saying to yourself 'they aren't as sharp as they used to be' are there any other clues, for example are you now using wider apertures (or the camera choosing them for you) and the limited DOF is causing softness in out of focus areas? There can be many other causes from atmospheric haze to just getting lazy holding the camera steady, clues are in your EXIF file and the type of image.

• Like 1

Put the camera on a tripod, set the lens to f/8 (for good sharpness and DOF) and shoot a few pictures, near, middle and then far distance. Take the camera off the tripod and try again pointing at the same subjects. Compare.

Other than saying to yourself 'they aren't as sharp as they used to be' are there any other clues, for example are you now using wider apertures (or the camera choosing them for you) and the limited DOF is causing softness in out of focus areas? There can be many other causes from atmospheric haze to just getting lazy holding the camera steady, clues are in your EXIF file and the type of image.

I noticed the issue when I was outdoors, so took pics of the same subject (portrait), indoors - same settings, before I posted here. This issue is that in portraits, I don't get the sharpness in the eyes as before. Shall try to post the crop from the pictures.

Hello Su25,

I walked the same path last week and also ending up in default settings to find out sharpness is back again.

From that point made new profiles and all is working well.

IMHO could be FW 2.2 ?

Shall reset to factory defaults. Hope the firmware rolls back to 2.0??? Shall update soon.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The issue isn't fw 2.2. My images are biting sharp with 2.2.

Is your sensor clean?

Gordon

That did cross my mind. Yes I had noticed a few spots @ f11. After cleaning it with an air blower I still see one spot. I am not sure whether this will affect sharpness drastically as the images are still not that sharp. If all else fails, I plan to have it cleaned professionally. 

Gosh this is so embarrassing  :(

I need to check my monitor and/or see my optometrist. I can safely presume that LR 6.8 is not the culprit. Because the ones I thought were extremely sharp are not looking as sharp now!!! Even the ones shot with SL +  APO 90mm cron !!

All, please accept my apologies.

This is a crop - shot with 90mm APO - thought it was very sharp - focus in his left eye. Is it?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by su25

Maybe you should take some test shots from time to time (e.g. once every month). Then you can see if there is a trend ...  :)

The Siemens star is an excellent test object. 

For my camera I cannot detect a trend, though results depend on what I did the evening before and how well I slept.  :D

Do it with a manual lens. The AF lenses with OIS will not reflect reality. (always unshakeable).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/717671-REG/Zeiss_1849_755_Siemens_Star_Test_Chart.html

The official test chart is probably of best quality, but you can also print it (oversize) and then use it at a larger distance to compensate for the imperfections.

You could also start with small things:  For one day drink no coffee or black tea or coke. It may sound strange, but it makes a difference for me. (Or anything else containing coffein)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Maybe you should take some test shots from time to time (e.g. once every month). Then you can see if there is a trend ...  :)

The Siemens star is an excellent test object. 

For my camera I cannot detect a trend, though results depend on what I did the evening before and how well I slept.  :D

Do it with a manual lens. The AF lenses with OIS will not reflect reality. (always unshakeable).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/717671-REG/Zeiss_1849_755_Siemens_Star_Test_Chart.html

The official test chart is probably of best quality, but you can also print it (oversize) and then use it at a larger distance to compensate for the imperfections.

You could also start with small things:  For one day drink no coffee or black tea or coke. It may sound strange, but it makes a difference for me. (Or anything else containing coffein)

Good suggestions. Test chart is indeed the best option. Thanks.