50 apo Sun Flare?

freitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All,

Attached file is a picture of my screen through a phone. I wanted to get everyone opinion on what is going on here. I purchased my Lens used through a Leica dealer and the date manufactured was well after the Lens Flare issue. However this happened a few times when near the direction of the sun. Is this the issue everyone was having during launch?

To Note.

This only happened two times and it was almost direct sunlight from the top left corner.

I Just want to make sure this is normal for the apo.

Thanks for the help

Fred

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by freitz

I'm not surprised to see flare in your picture: The 50 Apo is one of the more flare prone modern leica lenses.

The integrated shade is almost useless in this regard.

I would say it is most critical when the sun is just outside the frame.

Edited by anickpick
  • Like 1

Yes, the reported flaring looks normal for the APO 50.

Early incarnations of the lens had some flaring/loss of central contrast issues, discussed here. If you look at post #120 and #121 of the linked thread, plus Adam's explanation (posts #149, #161 and #163) - you will find the same pattern as seen in your photo: The upper part of the image appears to be in 'shadow' or is 'protected' from flaring. This is to be expected when the light source is located just outside of the frame (Adam's figure in post #161).

If you are using bodies with EVF or live view, you can actually check whether this phenomena occurs in similar light conditions. Slightly adjusting the angle of the body wrt to light source can be sufficient to strongly reducing/eliminating the flare. Or, conversely, you can maximise the flaring if this adds drama/effect to the image.

Enjoy the APO 50!

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

I'm not surprised to see flare in your picture: The 50 Apo is one of the more flare prone modern leica lenses.

The integrated shade is almost useless in this regard.

I would say it is most critical when the sun is just outside the frame.

I think it was in the upper left corner

Yes, the reported flaring looks normal for the APO 50.

Early incarnations of the lens had some flaring/loss of central contrast issues, discussed here. If you look at post #120 and #121 of the linked thread, plus Adam's explanation (posts #149, #161 and #163) - you will find the same pattern as seen in your photo: The upper part of the image appears to be in 'shadow' or is 'protected' from flaring. This is to be expected when the light source is located just outside of the frame (Adam's figure in post #161).

If you are using bodies with EVF or live view, you can actually check whether this phenomena occurs in similar light conditions. Slightly adjusting the angle of the body wrt to light source can be sufficient to strongly reducing/eliminating the flare. Or, conversely, you can maximise the flaring if this adds drama/effect to the image.

Enjoy the APO 50!

Okay so all is fine with my APO? I have had it for about 6 months and really enjoy it. I think this is the first time I have had this flare issue but it was indeed direct sunlight. It was strange because it you look it also has a straight line above the flare.

• Like 1

A little surprising given that the early flare issue was supposedly "fixed" in later issue lenses. My APO also tends to flare easily so I took it to my nearest Leica Store where they compared it with a new APO from stock against their display lights. Both lenses showed the same amount of flare, so that confirms mine is not out of line. A bit comforting to know, and this thread reassures as well! OTOH my 2/50 Heliar collapsible is virtually immune to flare, but then it's no APO... ;)

The earlier flare issues were, indeed, "fixed" in later serial numbers.  However, no lens is completely immune to flare (though some are better than others, of course).  My 50mm APO flares more than, I think, any of my other Leica lenses, but it's still an issue for only about 1% or so of my outdoor images.  You need a bright light source like the Sun in just the right spot, slightly out of the field of view.  Otherwise, no problems.

- Jared

The simple truth is, the built-in hood is just inadequate, as said before.

But there is a custom fix for it using another original front lens cap, and milling it for extra shading.

apo1_zps4ivgdixn.jpg

(Seriously, should one resort to find such solutions for a lens like this...)

But anyway, this is with the stock hood

apo2_zpss7rowqhm.jpg

And with the extra shading added

apo3_zps4btjjmwn.jpg

Kind of late, but I guess they could still bring out an updated version with a bayonet hood, if they really care about fixing it 'properly'.

Edited by padam
  • Like 6

Interesting that in the photos with the veiling flare there is a defined area at the top of the frame which isn't affected and suggests that there is some kind of internal baffling or lower part of the "film" gate blocking out the stray light. I wonder if the reflective surface of the sensor is coming into play and bouncing some of the light back? Has anyone who uses the lens with a film camera seen the same flare characteristic? I ask because I used to occasionally see some veiling glare (as distinguished from normal flare blobs and arcs, etc.) when using my 35 Summilux FLE with digital but I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything like it using the same lens with film.

Interesting that in the photos with the veiling flare there is a defined area at the top of the frame which isn't affected and suggests that there is some kind of internal baffling or lower part of the "film" gate blocking out the stray light. I wonder if the reflective surface of the sensor is coming into play and bouncing some of the light back? Has anyone who uses the lens with a film camera seen the same flare characteristic? I ask because I used to occasionally see some veiling glare (as distinguished from normal flare blobs and arcs, etc.) when using my 35 Summilux FLE with digital but I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything like it using the same lens with film.

See this post from Adam (and post 5 further up).

• Like 1

The simple truth is, the built-in hood is just inadequate, as said before.

But there is a custom fix for it using another original front lens cap, and milling it for extra shading.

Interesting!

Can you provide the dimensions of the opening...?

Via padam (thanks!), I learned that the fix in post #12 originates from a blog at Banum (in Swedish; a google translate should do the job for non-Scandinavians). I contacted Bo, and he informed me that the size of the milled (original) lens shade is 32x26 mm. I will do some testing at various apertures and distances - and eventually do some milling on a spare lens shade myself - and I will report back on the findings after some testing and when time permits.

Those using filter(s) on the APO 50mm-M, like b&w filters on an M monochrome, may have to increase the opening since the filter puts the lens shade forward on the lens (I may look into this). Furthermore, the lens shade should not rotate, and this may require a fix. And finally (?), some may want to put a cap onto the milled lens shade for protection. So although clever, the lens shade fix has its limitations...

Feel free to chime in in case there are other fixes/ideas/experiences out there!

See also a demanding test of the APO 50mm-M vs Otus 55mm a little down on the page here.