Which SD card is recommended for the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to ask if the Q can take the latest, fastest and high capacity SD cards or whether there are any limits? I know that some cameras are unable to function properly with cards that have a very large capacity or that have very low or very high writting speeds so thought to check if this is the case with the Q before I buy one. Any thoughts or recommendations please?

My card is a "Lexar Professional 256 GB Class 10 UHS-II 1000x Speed (150 MB/s) SDXC Flash Memory Card", which must be the same as mentioned by dadohead but with more capacity. I have not had any problems transferring data - performance depends to some extent on the card reader. For that I use a Kingston FCR-HS4 reader which is USB 3.0 and supports UHS-II. (It performed well in the comparison reviews I read, That was about 5 months ago).

The only issue I have had is that some of my files (about 5% of them) do not display some of the meta-data in Windows 10 File Explorer e.g. thumbnail, dimensions, shutter speed, aperture. However these details do show up in Lightroom. So I must have an operating system problem (as suggested by another contributor when I inquired about this in another post).

Edited by mathorp
  • Like 1

I use a 64GB Lexar UHSII card in my Q. The card is rated 1000x or 150MBs. I can only take advantage of the higher data rate when importing to LR, as the Q is UHSI. I haven't had a single problem after thousands of exposures.

+1 same here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that a Sandisk Extreme Pro 300Mb/s should be good to use as well? Or would the Lexar be sufficient without having to spend that much money on the Sandisk?

Yes, I use SanDisk 64GB UHSI and the faster USHII cards interchangeably, and they work fine. But the 300 MB/sec cards write to the card from the camera at the slower USHI rate. 

Edited by beez