• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New M10 Review:

"I'm not overly impressed with the Leica M10"

https://youtu.be/Q26ZJvQCJh4

Author:      Magic Of Light

Date:         29 April 2017

Platform:    Youtube

@ 5:06 .... "The battery is considerably smaller.... so that's a nice thing".

I don't get that but that's maybe just me...

Thorsten's review isn't saying that he doesn't like it - he doesn't stress certain words when he speaks (like a native English speaker tends to) so the meaning sometimes is not quite as intended.  I took it that he does not regard the M10 as a quantum leap because he is a committed user of Leica from film through M9 and M240 and still regards those as great tools.  It's just an iterative improvement. Fair comment and in line with many long time users.

Thorsten's review isn't saying that he doesn't like it - he doesn't stress certain words when he speaks (like a native English speaker tends to) so the meaning sometimes is not quite as intended.  I took it that he does not regard the M10 as a quantum leap because he is a committed user of Leica from film through M9 and M240 and still regards those as great tools.  It's just an iterative improvement. Fair comment and in line with many long time users.

I quite agree. I work for a Danish company based in Skanderborg and have become used to having to work a little harder to understand the meaning in their otherwise excellent spoken English. I can understand why non-native speakers find English so very difficult... the meaning can be completely changed by changing the stress of certain words or syllables and intonation is very significant when communicating effectively in spoken English.

(Plus, like most Danes, the words he has most difficulty with are 'photographer' and 'photography', which given the area of interest, is quite amusing).

• Like 3

I quite agree. I work for a Danish company based in Skanderborg and have become used to having to work a little harder to understand the meaning in their otherwise excellent spoken English. I can understand why non-native speakers find English so very difficult... the meaning can be completely changed by changing the stress of certain words or syllables and intonation is very significant when communicating effectively in spoken English.

(Plus, like most Danes, the words he has most difficulty with are 'photographer' and 'photography', which given the area of interest, is quite amusing).

I think that intonation and emphasis can alter the meaning of terms in practically every human language.

Further, I think it quite natural that both the speaker and the listener will notice differences in prononciation most readily in foreign words present in both languages.

• Like 2

Some interesting comments above.
Yes, in spoken English the emphasis on certain words does change the meaning.

A. Spoken flatly, with equal emphasis to each word, this means:  I am not excited by the new Leica M10

B. With the word overly emphasized, this means:  I am impressed by the new Leica M10 but not to a great extent

Edited by terry_c
  • Like 4

It doesn't need a lot of analysis in the context of the video - and his in depth review will doubtless bear out the positives that most seem to find.  His perspective is the pro not the hobbyist.  He aims for a certain look and this is soemthing he will need to work on with any new camera/sensor etc.  That's work to him, even maybe a nuisance  - not the fun bit.

Edited by @ndy_ellis
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My first Leica camera. Battery is charging but I just needed to open it. Will post pictures taken with it tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

a

Actually, he quite says he loves it!

I have been using the M10 for 3 months and I am very happy with it.

With its slimmer body ,  while I am using it, once I have set the basics, I  put the camera into the  Walter Ferro half case from my M6 and forget that it is a digital camera whilst I am shooting.

With the Iso Dial so practically placed, that's the only control I need.

Only one thing I really miss form the M-P240, the possibility to choose the framelines also in Red.

I had actually set my "color" profiles with the red framelines and the B&W ones with the white lines, so that even if I picked up the camera after some days I immediately knew the settings I had.

Do you think that Leica could reintroduce that feature?

Edited by alexmaturo

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting comments above.

Yes, in spoken English the emphasis on certain words does change the meaning.

A. Spoken flatly, with equal emphasis to each word, this means:  I am not excited by the new Leica M10

B. With the word overly emphasized, this means:  I am impressed by the new Leica M10 but not to a great extent

Very right!

In the review it's a little clearer that the Leica M10 works as expected, and in some instances better than previous models. Not a revolution. The Leica M10 keeps traveling the road of the Leica M, without using any of the new designs or features of the Leica SL or Leica Q.

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-M10-digital-rangefinder-camera-page-00-Expect-Simplicity.html

MP101579-4-970w-force-awakens-499H.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently did a review comparing the M240 to the new M10. In summary:

- the M10 is thinner and lighter

- The M10 has wifi

- The M10 interface is simpler (fewer buttons, ISO dial, no video)

- M10 has higher ISO

The M240 is really a great camera and the images compare favorably to the M10 even at 3200 ISO.

You can read the entire review complete with sample images here.