How many M9 Shooters will upgrade to the M10?

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I'm quite certain that I will buy an M10 sooner or later (probably sooner), particularly because of better high ISO performance. I saw one in the local store today (didn't have time to handle it, though) and it looks very, very nice.

But I'm also quite sure I will not sell or trade my M9, although I know from previous camera upgrades that I will not be using it very much after upgrading.

I am facing this same quandary. I am on the list awaiting an M10 and have to decide whether to sell my M9 or keep it as a backup. I love the images I get from it, but the downsides frustrate me. My biggest concern with keeping it long term, however, is the fragility of the sensor. It is currently on its way to Leica to have the sensor replaced due to cracking and the beginnings of sensor corrosion. So it will be good for awhile once it gets back with a new sensor. But how long until the same problems resurface? How long will Leica continue to replace them for free? At some point they won't be able to get replacement parts I would assume. These concerns lead me to think I should just sell it once it comes back, before the value drops any lower. Then again, it would be nice to have a backup M body...

I'm even in worse quandary. I have my M10 and kept my M9 and I am not frustrated by its limitations.

But no kidding: I thought the corrosion-risk was brought down in the new sensor.

How many years went by after introduction of the M9 before the corrosion occurred?

How sure can we be of the M240 & M10 platform to be flawless over 5 years or so?

I am facing this same quandary. I am on the list awaiting an M10 and have to decide whether to sell my M9 or keep it as a backup. I love the images I get from it, but the downsides frustrate me. My biggest concern with keeping it long term, however, is the fragility of the sensor. It is currently on its way to Leica to have the sensor replaced due to cracking and the beginnings of sensor corrosion. So it will be good for awhile once it gets back with a new sensor. But how long until the same problems resurface? How long will Leica continue to replace them for free? At some point they won't be able to get replacement parts I would assume. These concerns lead me to think I should just sell it once it comes back, before the value drops any lower. Then again, it would be nice to have a backup M body...

I sort of already accepted that my M9, at some point of time, will be very little more than a paperweight. Even if the sensor would be ok there will come a time when you cannot get new batteries anymore to replace the old ones that have gone bad. This will happen to all digital cameras sooner or later and if you don't sell or trade in time you will just have to accept that the TCO for the period of usage will be approx. the whole original purchase cost + other expenses like service and accessories.

On the other hand it will be interesting to see what the collector's value of old, non-working digital Ms will be in the future. It's of course a different story than the value of old film Ms, which usually can be repaired, but I would still guess that e.g. a mint M8 with a suitable early serial number will have some collector's value, even if it's not working. Of course, the value of a user M9 with sensor corrosion may be quite low...

But no kidding: I thought the corrosion-risk was brought down in the new sensor.

You are correct! I had forgotten that they had developed a new sensor for the M9 that is supposed to not be susceptible to corrosion. So theoretically, my replacement sensor should be good for many years. This certainly eases my mind about the idea of keeping the M9 as a backup.

You are correct! I had forgotten that they had developed a new sensor for the M9 that is supposed to not be susceptible to corrosion. So theoretically, my replacement sensor should be good for many years. This certainly eases my mind about the idea of keeping the M9 as a backup.

Or about the price you can ask if you do sell. But I won't. Nobody is interested in my typical spots of wear and messing curves  :)

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...But I'm also quite sure I will not sell or trade my M9...Purchased used in 2012 it still has the original sensor = original "vulcanite" and also some nice brassing, which I understand the M10 never will aquire in the same way, being black chrome instead of black paint.

Black paint is what I didn't like about my M9-P: it has a clammy feeling in hot and humid weather, particularly in the tropics. I've always preferred the gunmetal look and feel of black chrome of my M6, even after the wear and tear of extensive use — and I also prefer the look of the M10. Brassing looks fine on the one ancient photojournalist camera once sees illustrated too often, but at least that was the result of real use, not of sandpaper having been used on the camera. BTW, are you sure that the "P" in P9-P doesn't stand for "poseur"? :D

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

i prefer ccd,  so no. not upgrading.

I used to be in this camp, too. But after seeing lots of images from the M10, I think the quality of these files meets or exceeds the quality of M9 files, especially in color rendition. Plus you have the higher ISO capabilities and other advantages of the new camera. That's why I'm getting the M10. The only question now is whether to keep the M9 as a backup camera or sell it.

I'm keeping my M9.  It has served me well, while allowing me to develop a lens kit that I like, 35mm Sumi asph is my primary, along with the 90mm Sumi and a Voightlander 15mm.  I will continue to carry the M9 after the M10 arrives (Leica Miami says it might be as far off as August before I get mine) as a backup or an alternate with the secondary lens for what I am shooting.

This is the thread I'd been looking for. Interesting range of answers that I'll take time to evaluate. I'll also read some more reviews. As much as I really like the M9, the M10 makes sense for its larger view/rangefinder (and hopefully easier focusing), better dynamic range and higher ISO performance -- all things I'd be keen on. Slightly slimmer body and simpler ergonomics are a bonus. But alas, the camera isn't available in this country yet, so I'm not in a rush.  

• 1 month later...