How many M9 Shooters will upgrade to the M10?

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious... Your M9 are still on the original shutter after the 250k shots ?

No, it has had one new shutter. Sensor was new when I got it jan 2014, and still seems fine. :)

It's very interesting to watch the M10 shots. Some shooters, like Ashwin and Jono, have it looking sort of M9+++ with greater tonality and wider color saturation, and others have it looking VERY M9, like Chris Tribble and Shirokuro, on Flickr.

ISO would be nice but M9 with a fast lens like CV 35/1.2 can basically go anywhere:

32295105430_5918729b3c_b.jpg

L1056880 by unoh7, on Flickr

I think like many, it's not that I don't think a M10 would be great. But M9 is fine.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1

No, not quite yet. I've had my M-E going on two years now - and the M8 I used for seven years before that is still seeing regular use by my better half. If anything, I'm tempted to pick an M240 now that prices are dropping.

Since Leica digitals are usually a generation behind (technology-wise), but *far* outlive other digital cameras' usefulness, I don't mind being a generation or two behind. Ask me again in 2020 ;)

@otto.f - the M10 is still heavier than the M9?  Which means it is heavier than the M7?  Is it noticeably heavier in the hand/on the shoulder?

See Ken Rockwell or other sites for the specs, I thought the M7 was about 630 and the M10 660, the M9 605 or a bit less. But I don't feel it on the shoulder, just a bit in handling when changing lenses and so

No "upgrade" here. A M10 based M262 successor might tempt me with the technical improvements of the M10 coupled with lower weight. I am still hoping one day Leica will offer a 500 gram FF RF allowing to build a real compact and lightweight FF travel system when coupled with some of the smaller M-lenses.

Well I still see this as a travel system with Summicron 35 iv and Elmar 50, especially while I don't need my Monochrome-1, at least so much as with the M9. I would rather speak of a daytrip system, because around the world I cannot leave my important gear at home

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will be upgrading my M9 to the M10. It has fixed everything that frustrates me with the M9. From the thinner body, to the better viewfinder/rangefinder, to the higher ISO abilities, quieter shutter, and vastly improved LCD screen. The sensor issues on the M9 were the last straw for me. You just shouldn't have to deal with this many issues/limitations on a camera in this price range. The M10 seems to be everything the M8/M9 should have been. And honestly, the difference in tonality between the CCD vs. CMOS sensor is minor to me.

Here. I will be!

The M10 fixes all the things that are not good with the M9  - well, just one thing: HighISO - and then adds a few nice things like the ISO dial, the thinner body, better battery, better screen and menu and as the icing on the top the better rangefinder.

The only issue: Where is the M10-P design!!!! 

B

I'm honestly on the fence myself, owning both an M9 and MM1 and perfectly satisfied with the performance of both with my 28 Cron Asph, 50 Lux Asph, and 90 AA.  Not to mention I love the CCD rendering.  The cameras are simply top-drawer workhorses even in 2017.  But I can certainly understand the appeal of the M10 and would love to see some M9 vs M10 comparisons at comparable ISOs up to 640.  What I would have liked to see Leica introduce is the following:

M10T (traditional rangefinder OVF)

M10E (built in EVF ala SL)

M10T Monochrom

M10E Monochrom

I fail to see why this would not have been possible and Leica could have covered all target markets.  I really don't understand why those who cherish the Monochrom sensor have to wait years for its release following the colour sensor.  Come on Leica, launch them both at the same time so we have choices!  Rant over :-)

I think the option for OVF or EVF is done by choosing the M or the SL, and I think the SL competes well in the Mirrorless world against Sony and other smaller sensor systems.

The M is and probably will always be a niche traditional Messucher type camera and I would not want it to go to the EVF or Hybrid Viewfinder path. It's for people who don't want bells and whistles but instead want pristine image quality with up to date sensors while still maintaining the same old body type of the M.

As for the Monochrom versions, I see them as special editions, just like the P or the D versions. As such, they will come later on during the lifetime cycle of the M10. 

Regarding upgrade, I will not sell my M9. For me it's the closest digital camera there is to film, namely because of the high iso limitations and the sensor calibration that seems to emulate Portra emulsions.  As such I will probably consider an M10 in a few years time when the M11 comes out and the M10 halves the price in the second hand market, while still keeping the M9 in the collection as the perfect transition from film to digital. 

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

No, it has had one new shutter. Sensor was new when I got it jan 2014, and still seems fine. :)It's very interesting to watch the M10 shots. Some shooters, like Ashwin and Jono, have it looking sort of M9+++ with greater tonality and wider color saturation, and others have it looking VERY M9, like Chris Tribble and Shirokuro, on Flickr.ISO would be nice but M9 with a fast lens like CV 35/1.2 can basically go anywhere:32295105430_5918729b3c_b.jpgL1056880 by unoh7, on FlickrI think like many, it's not that I don't think a M10 would be great. But M9 is fine.

"M9 can basically go anywhere" is probably pushing it a bit. Pun intended. Yes, I still own it.

May of been discussed before but how much variability is there with M9 ME viewfinders? I ask as I have had M9, M1monochrome, and currently a 3 year old ME (purchased new) and find the viewfinder clearer and with more contrast than the other two. When I looked through the M10 I did not get a wow feeling, it was good but not dramatically different.

I think I will stay with my ME as when compared to my Q,Sl, and canon 5d mk iii it still produces biggest wow out of camera dmg images because of colour profile and sharpness let alone image flexibility. I do smile when people talk about the m240-md without screen and how back to basics it is, well the M9 delivered this without trying!

• Like 1

I'm on a waiting list for an M10, and will be tearfully trading in my beloved M9 as part of the process.

Long post below explaining my purchase decision - I hope it helps others who may be borderline in being able to rationalize an M10.

I already had a good idea that I wanted to get an M10, but amusingly enough I felt I had to go through a justification process, so once the Leica boutique formalized a trade-in value for my M9 I reviewed the M10 specifications and tried to objectively assign a value of how much I would pay for each enhanced feature individually if it were available today as an instant upgrade to my M9. Totaling my evaluations of the upgrades (based on my personal current subject choices and style of shooting) did not quite total the trade-up cost, but it was very close.... and I have a round birthday coming up in 3 weeks so shamefully I must admit that I carried out the exercise and then rejected the result anyway

• Like 2

.... I have a round birthday coming up in 3 weeks so shamefully I must admit that I carried out the exercise and then rejected the result anyway

There are special times in ones life when self indulgence is perfectly acceptable. I can think of no more fitting occasions than the passing of a decade.

Have a great Birthday!  :p

Thanks Eoin.

The second half of my post went missing... think it may have been too long:

I spent several years saving either for an M9 replacement or for a new 50mm (either a 0.95 noctilux or an APO 'cron). I realize that a lens purchase would have less depreciation over time, but would make less of an impact to my photography. Why buy a better lens when then ones I have already outresolve the M9 sensor? Better to get a higher resolution sensor. Why buy a big and heavy lens that blocks the viewfinder and offers no advantage in hand holding compared to my 35lux ASPH when a new body would improve the performance of all my lenses by 3-4 stops? Once the M10 high aIso samples became available I metered the light in many of my usual dark shooting locations and confirmed the new capabilities would be a worthwhile improvement, not meaningless numbers on a product sheet.

Edited by exile

I've tried to "fix" the M9 iso downsides by buying a Noctilux ( 1.0 then 0.95 after ) and even still... 1250 its tops for me, and even then, its like "I REALLY MUST HAVE THIS PHOTO", otherwise, 800 is the limit.

However, and I went to the Leica Store and played with the M10, its great but.... it doesnt tickle me.

Yes the high iso is great.

Yes the handling is lovely.

Yes its much cleaner in the back with fewer buttons

Yes the VF is superb

but.... I can't really point out, but it doesnt float my boat.

HOWEVER, I've played with a M-D at the Leica Store. And if I was lusting for one, now, it just seems perfect. My precioussssss.... I'm saving for one :) ( MD not M10 ).

M9 will stay, full of flaws ( I call it character ) but after owning it for 7 years, its been a loyal and true friend. And I know its quirks inside out. Brassing like hell, I rather have it as a paperweight than selling it for peanuts.

• Like 1

I'm on a waiting list for an M10, and will be tearfully trading in my beloved M9 as part of the process.

Long post below explaining my purchase decision - I hope it helps others who may be borderline in being able to rationalize an M10.

I already had a good idea that I wanted to get an M10, but amusingly enough I felt I had to go through a justification process, so once the Leica boutique formalized a trade-in value for my M9 I reviewed the M10 specifications and tried to objectively assign a value of how much I would pay for each enhanced feature individually if it were available today as an instant upgrade to my M9. Totaling my evaluations of the upgrades (based on my personal current subject choices and style of shooting) did not quite total the trade-up cost, but it was very close.... and I have a round birthday coming up in 3 weeks so shamefully I must admit that I carried out the exercise and then rejected the result anyway

How brave to trade in. I'm sure you'll be happy with the M10. I did not trade in and still have my M9. This makes it easier I think to let the M10 come to you, because saying goodbye to an M9 is not an easy process. And perhaps trading in makes you more focused on what could be wrong with the new roommate. So I wish you all the best but I'm sure you'll be happy with the jump once landed Edited by otto.f

Yes, I'm quite certain that I will buy an M10 sooner or later (probably sooner), particularly because of better high ISO performance. I saw one in the local store today (didn't have time to handle it, though) and it looks very, very nice.

But I'm also quite sure I will not sell or trade my M9, although I know from previous camera upgrades that I will not be using it very much after upgrading. In some odd way it's just such a special model on the M development line that I want to keep it, with all its quirks and software bugs. Purchased used in 2012 it still has the original sensor = original "vulcanite" and also some nice brassing, which I understand the M10 never will aquire in the same way, being black chrome instead of black paint.

• Like 1