Oil on lens blades

Andrea Bianchi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone.

After several time not using it, I've noticed a bit of oil on the blades of my 50 summicron.

Is something i should worry about or starting using it more they will go away?

How much dose it costs to clean up the lens and how much does it takes?

Thank you

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Andrea Bianchi

Not normally a problem with M lenses. I've used some for 50 years with a bit on the blades - and still used them. Much more of an issue with SLR auto-diaphragm lenses where oil can slow the snap action.

I have had a Russian Elmar copy that sat unused for ages where the diaphragm blades got stuck together, but who knows what type of lube was used. Even it was fixed with a cleaning by a camera tech.

Don't worry about it, just keep using it.

Watch if it becomes much worse over time and when the blades really become wet (they are not in the picture), have it fixed as then the oil can gas out and develop a hazy film on the optical surfaces next to the aperture.

Your lens looks absolutely fine as a user.

My 50 Lux (current version) has this issue and it has gotten gradually worse over the last few years. It is slow moving and not dramatic. It doesn't seem to affect image quality at all, at least not yet.

At some point I will send it to DAG, Youxin Ye, or Leica to clean.

I will say this, I have stored it at 1.4 for years and it hasn't made one bit of difference. I think that might be a fairytale.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was told to keep the lens wide open as much as possible i.e. when not in use and it would help clear oil on the blades - it worked on my 35 R lens, which was much worse that yours.

Just use it and store it wide open. I'd only bother having it serviced if it got worse.

If anything I thought it would be better to store stopped down so the blades are not sitting all the time in the oily bit.

Only speaking of my experience, and it did clear most of the oil.

My 50 Lux asph also had oil in the blades.  Stored it at 1.4 butt down for one day and it cleared up.  Worth a shot...

Edited by B-A-C
  • Like 1

Virtually every 50mm Summilux Asph that I have seen has oil on the aperture blades. This must be a known issue and Leica should sort it - yes I know it's only cosmetic and doesn't affect image quality but it does affect resale value.

I think you're right as mine is nearly new.

• 1 year later...

found two used Summilux 50 asph at good prices, with no oil on blades at least for now, but it seems the current version is very prone to this issue, just a matter of time? 

It's pretty common.  My Lux has been like that pretty much from the start.  It has performed flawlessly for 3 years.

• Like 3

Virtually every 50mm Summilux Asph that I have seen has oil on the aperture blades. This must be a known issue and Leica should sort it - yes I know it's only cosmetic and doesn't affect image quality but it does affect resale value.

But you just said yourself WHY Leica doesnt care - its only cosmetic and doesnt affect image quality.

How can it affect resale value when all lenses have it ?

If the buyer perceives it as an issue, then it is an issue and will affect the price.

All things equal otherwise, I would avoid buying such a lens and imagine most would, or they’d expect a discounted price to take it off your hands. How much of a discount? No idea, but better someone else than me is all I know. If it’s my lens, I get it serviced. Whether an auto aperture lens for a DSLR or rangefinder lens, there should not be loose oil visible. Useable as is? Of course. A great selling point? No.

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 3