M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

I understand that the shadows can be recovered in post process , and so can the highlights, there is always some sort of exposure latitude in any sensor , specially in CMOSS sensors more then CCD. However this is no replacement for pure dynamic range.

It,s like colour negative film vs. Reversal film (colour transparency) colour negative has a much more exposure latitude while reversal film has much better dynamic range .

Dynamic range depends a lot on how an image is displayed - e.g., transmitted light vs. reflected light. Higher for transmitted. Glossy prints higher than matte prints. Films had peculiar behavior with respect to exposure. With tranny film one wanted to avoid over exposure for sure but some kinds of tranny film had very lousy shadows especially the earlier Ektachrome films (e.g. from the 60's when I was a younger (!) photographer). Underexposed Kodachrome was much better IMHO - was done improve color saturation. Color neg could be overexposed a bit but shadows turned muddy quite fast on underexposure. Shadow noise has been a major issue with digital especially when bringing it up in post - much better with more recent sensors in my experience.

• Like 2

I hounestly do not want to discuss this , not on this thread, this thread is pinned for pictures taken with the new M10. So whoever is fortunate and has one, please show us your passion and your world as yo see it and share your pics.

Agree, however tiny jpegs are not useful IMHO. Downloadable DNGs allow one to look at the images up to the pixel level as well as work with them such as in Lightroom.

arrived today...really nice upgrade from the M240

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 11

Hi Everyone

Some more images here:

Thanks for the link. Did you also try the Summilux-SL 50 ?  Or were you too busy with the M10 ?

Some of your images had more saturated colors than with the SL (my impression). Is this the "signature" of the M10 sensor ?  Or just different postprocessing ?

Edited by steppenw0lf

Thanks for the link. Did you also try the Summilux-SL 50 ? Or were you too busy with the M10 ?

Some of your images had more saturated colors than with the SL (my impression). Is this the "signature" of the M10 sensor ? Or just different postprocessing ?

Hi Stefan (is that the right spelling, there are all least 4 different ones!)

I hope you're well

Not the signature - if anything the M10 is less saturated, and of course the images are processed - one day I'll learn to get them right first time . . . On the other hand the colour is not fiddled with - I think it's great out of the camera.

I did spend some time with the SL 50 . . But as you say, I've been busy with this!

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 1

A couple of images taken in RAW, imported to Lightroom, exported jpeg. The M10 profile in Lightroom boosts saturation and warms up the image as opposed to importing without a profile. No editing was done.

50 Lux around 1600ISO and various apertures. You won't get much from the jpegs but I will say that in my opinion the color RAW files are excellent. The skin tones look perfect. 

I am traveling the next few days to the great lakes so will take some "real" photos.

• Like 1

another example. WB also excellent.

• Like 3

Hi Everyone

Some more images here:

Some of the colors are really spot on.

But so many of them are not.  

And perhaps its the exposure and lack of editing time, but the blown highlights seem to pervade and they are not very charming (IMHO).

I agree with the comment that the images look very similar to those from the SL.

It would have been nice to see more examples that don't have added vignetting.

• Like 1