M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

Paul I am not saying its conspiracy, I just know with past experience a lot of times Higher ISO performance came with the sacrifice of dynamic range. Canon was notorious for this.

Now you as a professional (studio) environment photographer you know that it is a huge setback if that is the case, specially when it comes to Fashion photography and the fabric detail that comes with that.

It may not be a big deal in street or journalism 

and again I may be wrong a more controlled environment test will tell the tale. 

I still consider the M10 a welcome addition to the M family 

My favourite in the film cameras was my M5  it was by far my workhorse for years. 

and I have a feeling the 240 is going to take that roll 

It's just a difference in exposure caused by different lighting between shots.

Crops above the bike:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paul J

here is the result on this set 

M10 first set M240 second set 

You guys call it 

I was able to bring down the white shirt and get rid of the CA at its edge. However, the image is focused on the hairs on the back of his neck and not the beard or face so not able to judge resolution.

I was able to bring up the darkness around these bushes but this part of the pic is OOF possibly due to the large aperture. The image is quite sharp on things in the background.

Both these images that an M10 image is quite malleable in post using Lightroom. Thank you for posting the DNGs.

Edited by waterlenz
  • Like 1

Some more from today.  And yes, the woman's hair color and jacket are exactly as they were in real life -- this doesn't record colors hot, the way the M240 seemed to at first.

John - thanks for posting these. Encouraging.  Now waiting to hear what's happening to the body I have on order.  

A question - have you been able to see how the M10 fares with IR contamination?  How black are the blacks of artificial fabrics?  REALLY interested to see if there's an improvement - the SL definitely won over the M240 on this count.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, apologies for the mis-focus. It definitely wasn't a controlled environment. The intention was to be able to get samples that allowed DNG manipulation particularly of the highlights and shadows, and detect any colour differences. Sharpness wasn't really a factor (fun at f/1.4 for the portraits as usual). Exposures were a few mins apart so that would account for some light changes.

Also the exposure settings were different. The M10 gave me 1/90th at f/5.6 with ISO100 and the M-240 gave me 1/15th with the same settings when metered on the road surface. While the images vary slightly in brightness, the big difference in shutter speed seems to suggest differing exposure calculations between the two cameras, notwithstanding needing to take the "pull100" ISO setting of the M-240 into account.

Wow ok somethings do not add up there should not be a 2.5 stop difference in the exposures unless the apertures were not the same 

Eh? 10 minutes is like a lifetime for light to change. It's clear to see that change in the two shots. One has full sun on the building the other doesn't. Just because the overall screen is 15th at 5.6 doesn't mean it is uniform light and it doesn't mean it is exposed correctly.

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 2

Unedited picture of my wife. And yes, my wife's skin has a yellow tint.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Steve Ash
  • Like 17