24mm w/o external finder?

Tom R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use two M4-P bodies and one M8.2. Now, I understand that the M8.2 has a 1.33 crop factor, but that it also accommodates 24mm whereas the standard M bodies only provide frame lines for 28mm (at their widest). I don't like to buy lenses that cannot be used interchangeably between these bodies, obviously. Lately, I've been considering picking-up a 24mm Elmarit to use almost exclusively on the M8.2 (I don't like to change lenses often) owing to the crop factor, etc.

Now, the M8.2 has a very load actuation count (it has fewer than 1500 actuations). Barring any unforeseeable disasters, the camera might last for a while. If it doesn't, I won't fret too much (other than being out 2 grand, American); I prefer using the film cameras anyway. 

Here's a question for the forum: is it possible to use a 24mm on an M4-P without an external finder?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows and has a minute to respond.

Tom R

External finders have no affect on lens function, only your ability to compose the image. With an M4 body the 24 will cover quite a bit more than what you see in the finder - you could allow for this and keep snapping away. I use a 24 Elmarit on my M8 this way but the lens sees less around the finder view compared to an M4.

Should...those are what come up when I mount my 24mm f3.8 on my M9, M4 and M6, and the view using the full area of the finder comes nowhere near showing what's captured.

I wouldn't mess with using a 24mm lens without the external finder.

Edited by Gregm61

My 24mm f3.8 Elmar brings up the 35/135mm framelines on my M4-P. The camera also has framelines for 28/90mm but the 28mm framelines are hard to see as they are jammed in against the sides of the viewfinder. I would recommend a separate viewfinder for 24mm on the M4-P and also possibly for 28mm if you cannot live with the tight margin between the lines and the frame edge. 

William

You can use the 24 on a M4P without a finder, but framing will be guesswork, quite a bit outside the 28 and 35 framelines. I wear glasses with a blotto prescription, and picking up even the 28 framelines is doubtful. So I use the external finder.

The 24 Elmarit is a cracking good lens. I use it on film Ms and the Monochrom. When the M8 came out, I was getting a lot of offers on it as it was a great 35 equivalent for that camera.

• Like 1