M10- FW Requests/Bug Reports

digitalfx

If not already in place (I don't have an M10 yet)

- menu option to switch OFF optical finder display of ISO and Exp. comp. This drove me crazy using an M240 briefly. I want to see only: shutter speed if in A, or metering indicators if in M. Don't waste my time with the other stuff (but do make it a user-defined option - I do understand that others find those reminders useful.)

- regarding compressed/uncompressed .DNGs. Options and choices are always good.

I don't doubt that the compressed quality is fine ( use that option on the M9), but, again, for the brief time I had an M240, I found that Adobe products (ACR) struggled a bit opening compressed 24 Mpixel DNGs - a second or so longer to open them (spinning ball) than with uncompressed images, even though they are smaller files. Probably due to interpreting the Leica compression.

And the .DNG file will be compressed by Adobe on the computer anyway, once it has been opened and saved from LR or ACR. So the file-space savings only really apply to: on-card space (and SD cards are cheap - you can't even get anything smaller than 8G most places); or pictures never opened on the computer (which suggests they are not high-value pictures - "delete" will save even more space ;) ).

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 for electronic shutter. Maybe they could add an electronic first curtain in live view as well?

The electronic first curtain is used in conjunction with the focal plane shutter, i.e. the first curtain is electronic, the second mechanical. But in live view, there is no mechanical shutter involved to begin with, and thus no point in using an electronic first curtain. The shutter is always electronic in live view.

+1 for electronic level

Not a firmware issue. If there is no electronic level, no firmware update could change that.

• Like 1

The electronic first curtain is used in conjunction with the focal plane shutter, i.e. the first curtain is electronic, the second mechanical. But in live view, there is no mechanical shutter involved to begin with, and thus no point in using an electronic first curtain. The shutter is always electronic in live view.

I'm not sure your assessment is correct. The mechanical shutter still engages when you take a photograph with live view. You can definitely audibly hear it. Many Sony mirror less cameras have the option of changing from fully mechanical shutter to an electronic first curtain, and the shot to shot time is definitely reduced.

If the shutter was fully electronic in live view it would be entirely silent. Electronic shutters make no noise.

The M240 on startup showed the ISO in the VF (when on Auto ISO) This would change to exposure when the shutter was depressed. The M10 just indicates AUTO. There are times when I shoot Auto ISO  I found it handy to know what ISO the camera had selected. 

• Like 2

The M240 on startup showed the ISO in the VF (when on Auto ISO) This would change to exposure when the shutter was depressed. The M10 just indicates AUTO. There are times when I shoot Auto ISO I found it handy to know what ISO the camera had selected.

Do n you mean OVF or EVF? Just looked at mine in Auto ISO. In the OFF in A mode it shows shutter speed. In M mode just the normal over and under exposure. Seems normal to me. Edited by chris_tribble

+1 for exposure value option in both OVF and EVF.

My biggest grumble about my M9P is not being able to see the shutter speed in the VF in manual mode (most of the time for me.) It's really important to know if your speed is dropping below, say, 15th sec, and rather higher than that when using longer lenses.

• Like 1

You can sort of use the grid screen view as a makeshift level. I am a little disappointed to not have the level option as I actually used this a lot.

Surprised you can't add that via firmware??? Why is that the case? (not rhetorical)

You can sort of use the grid screen view as a makeshift level. I am a little disappointed to not have the level option as I actually used this a lot.

Surprised you can't add that via firmware??? Why is that the case? (not rhetorical)

he is suggesting if the hardware/electronics is not in the body, then no amount of software can add it.

Edited by digitalfx

That makes sense, because the level is an electronic device. Well, maybe the EVF has the electronics built in? Then firmware could drive that in the EVF of the M10? 

We shall see I guess. Not a huge deal as a lot of tripods (not the leica one I own) have levels.

Level is sensed by a three-axis accelerometer which might not be present.

+1 for the horizontal level - really disappointed that this is not a feature as it is very useful particularly when using wide angle lenses - I hope that the hardware is present and that Leica simply have not implemented it yet as they did with the very crude level in the M240 initially until it was addressed and VERY usable for me

• Like 7

Expanding on pico's explanation: Most cameras these days (including all the digital Ms) have at least a BASIC physical tilt-switch or inclinometer, that determines and records whether the picture was shot as a vertical or a horizontal, for correct orientation in LR or Photoshop or whatever.

In theory as simple as a tiny tube running sideways in the camera somewhere, with a ball-bearing or blob of mercury that will run downhill if the camera is tilted at all, connecting contacts at one or both tips to form a circuit, and send a binary on-off signal. "Camera mostly horizontal/camera mostly vertical" = 1 or 0.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/US6621019B1/US06621019-20030916-D00001.png

If you need the device to only turn on with a tilt of 45° or more, you can bend the tube like a smiley-face smile. :)

http://www.pactrademarine.com/images/P70085-1.jpg

To make a usable LEVEL, a different electro-mechanical device must be present, that can measure tilt in fractions of a degree, not just gross 45° or 90° "on-off" intervals. Without that physical device installed, there is no data for the firmware to determine camera tilt, and display as a graphic.

• jaapv unpinned this topic