Zeiss 85mm f2 ZM User opinions and images?

mdg1371

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am considering picking up a Zeiss 85mm f2 ZM as an addition to an already fairly well rounded lens lineup.

Looking for user opinions and images.

I don't need suggestions for an alternative 85/90, I have 3 others, but just thoughts from users about strengths and weaknesses of the lens, and images.

Thanks in advance!

If there is a chance to get one for reasonable price - go for it!

It's a quite rare item and You'll loose no money.

I'm looking for one here in Germany, but it's a hard find.

2/85 & 15 ZMs are the only German made Zeiss ZM lenses; this is no categorisation in sense of quality, but just interesting for Zeiss enthusiasts.

Thomas

p.s., sorry, no images, I'm 4/85 Tessar-owner only, but a happy one.

Have a look arond:

http://www.pebbleplace.com/reviews/rangefinder/zeiss_85mm_sonnar/index.html

Ive heard as high as 2000, as low as 600.

After doing enough research, just bought a mint copy.

That's a very big difference. :)

For anyone who cannot afford the new Zeiss or an old one, which is not cheap either, here is something to consider:

24971464664_d81e48b92c.jpg

Entanglement by unoh7, on Flickr

The Nikkor RF 85/2 was designed to beat the contemporary zeiss, and it did. In every way. This was very well documented and the reason LIFE adopted Nikon. David Douglas Duncan was captivated by a shot from that lens, and demanded to see the factory. A few months later as a result this article appeared and opened the US market to cameras from Japan in a serious way for the first time.

25608659285_b44cb517fd_h.jpgJapan Camera by unoh7, on Flickr

Mine is contax mount but LTM is common also. My favorite Nikkor lens, bar none. Glass is very hard, and builds are good. Exquisite lens. Honestly I prefer it to 75 Lux for character--I have a nice Lux.

30615009465_a1548f9ffe_b.jpgCenterpiece by unoh7, Nikkor 85/2 WO

That shot is on M9 with Amedeo adapter. I got both of those lenses (the other is 1937 Zeiss 135/4) for 85 USD. They are pretty beat up and the 85 has cleaning marks on the front, but it does not seem to hurt :)

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ive heard as high as 2000, as low as 600.

After doing enough research, just bought a mint copy.

I heard around 600 out of a planned 2000, but it was not that popular, with Leica not 85mm framelines and it's high price.

Now that you have it would be nice to see some photos with it!

• Like 2

If only 600 were made this lens will be near rare. 16,000 75 luxes were made. Many thousand Nikkor RF. I am not sure of the RF numbers for Zeiss. Jupiter 9 is direct steal of that design, and there must be at least 50,000 in various iterations.

But a really good Jupiter 9 is a very sweet lens, also. :)

My most rare 85 is Canon 85/1.5 LTM, with under 1800 copies.

5968979242_fa56c7c469_z.jpg

Canon LTM 85/1.5 by unoh7, on Flickr

This was my main event 85 for a time. Underrated masterpiece by Itō Hiroshi. Gets crazy sharp as you stop down.

Zeiss does not even show the ZM85/2 charts, wow.

http://www.pebbleplace.com/reviews/rangefinder/zeiss_85mm_sonnar/index.html

F2 is a real challenge I guess. Heavy Purple fringe means you must be very selective. Some say this is the reason the production stopped.

"A flawed gem" says Edward, who has one for quite a while and likes it.

Edited by uhoh7

I own one, got some very nice shots with it on the M9, but it wasnt so easy to focus on my M240.

I feel it gives beautiful color, and a little brighter midtones than some Leica lenses.

The only problem I could see here and there is some purple fringing (spelling??)

Its one of those few "sharp and smooth at the time" lenses.

I am considering picking up a Zeiss 85mm f2 ZM as an addition to an already fairly well rounded lens lineup.

Looking for user opinions and images.

I don't need suggestions for an alternative 85/90, I have 3 others, but just thoughts from users about strengths and weaknesses of the lens, and images.

Thanks in advance!

I once spoke to a person from Zeiss to ask why they discontinued the lens. He was very careful to answer though made clear that production was not "very happy" with it. It was difficult to get the focussing mechanism right. So there might be some variance between individual examples.  Though from what I have read about lenses without any focussing issues, it should be at least on par with the 90mm Summicron Apo.Asph or even better.

• Like 3

I am shocked at its huge filter size! Zeiss basically threw lots and lots of glass at the problem - what must be the image circle like?

Vintage Sonnar lenses had something around 48 - 49mm filters with f2 apertures.

My 85/1.5 Nikkor has a very large 58mm as do the Leitz and Canon 85 suppressed lenses of the time.

58mm in a 85/2 is HUGE ;-)

I am shocked at its huge filter size! Zeiss basically threw lots and lots of glass at the problem - what must be the image circle like?

Vintage Sonnar lenses had something around 48 - 49mm filters with f2 apertures.

My 85/1.5 Nikkor has a very large 58mm as do the Leitz and Canon 85 suppressed lenses of the time.

58mm in a 85/2 is HUGE ;-)

I'd love to see that 85/1.5 in action. A link to some shots?

How do you like it?

• Like 1

I'd love to see that 85/1.5 in action. A link to some shots?

How do you like it?

I am LOVING it! In fact in a comparison test with portraits shot up close the old Nikkor 85/1.5 did not show any weakness compared to the late Canadian Summilux I have (which had a Wetzlar calibration).

I much prefer the look of the Nikkor in all respects but the 75/1.4 is a much easier to handle lens (proper double helicoid, easier to use controls, …)

7937675606_c2e19ea4a9_b.jpgportrait - JC - table by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

14178410180_5cc181bac7_b.jpgUntitled by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

That is what it looks like (a v1 lens, the v2 lens only deviating in the knurling pattern of the control rings) There are several variations of this Nikkor's Filter rim and hood mount - this is one with the two pin bayonet hood (sadly I am missing the hood).

I am also looking now for a Nikon-S mount sample to use on my SP - I LOVE this lens ;-)

21656128501_ec3eaef3a5_b.jpgblack beauty by Dirk Steffen, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome Dirk. :)

More image samples are also available here

Looks good to me.

Edward also recently posted some superb shots from ZM 85/2 at FM:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920070/1403#13906774

My favs of his seem to be around F/4 or 5.6.

It's funny we all crave a fast "portrait" lens, but they are not easy WO.

Edited by uhoh7