R lenses and Medium Format Cameras

mmradman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We know that some long R lenses can work on Leica S, focus distance is limitation in some instances due to inserted adaptor but also in some cases infinity focus can be achieved - adopted APO Telyt 280mm f4 or other lenses with APO 1.4 extender and LeiCo adaptor http://www.lei-ko.de/fotografie/Fotografie.html

I also recall seeing (tried searching without success) either here on LUF or somewhere else on the web (Fred Miranda maybe) R lenses used on MF digital back with pretty coverage, some vignetting using wide like 19 mm and 28 mm but rapidly improving with longer lenses. 

My thinking is that with introduction of new Fuji GFX50 which have registry of 26.5mm and focal plane shutter some of R lenses can be used providing usual suspects (Novoflex, Kipon etc) come up with suitable adaptor.

your thoughts...

There are some posts on FM about R lenses covering more than 35mm.

I was planning to fumble up a R mount on a linhof plate so i can measure actual image circles using a large format camera as i was curious to see if any of these lenses would cover enough to take interesting circular images on 6x6

• Like 1

There are some posts on FM about R lenses covering more than 35mm.

I was planning to fumble up a R mount on a linhof plate so i can measure actual image circles using a large format camera as i was curious to see if any of these lenses would cover enough to take interesting circular images on 6x6

If you do please share your observations.

I just bought a cheap 12 euro Leica R to EOS adapter off ebay, i can hot glue that to a plate.

Of course that solution wont do for actual image taking but should be fine for checking image circles at infinity.

I have the 19/2.8 v1, 35/2 v2, 50/2 v2, 80/1.4 and Angenieux 35-70 here to test.

There was someone on getdpi tried it in an Alpa FPS, focussing limitation is the issue with the R/S adaptor. I tried the 80mm Summilux recently and it may be OK for a head shot on the S (45mm x 30mm sensor), it had no cut-off in the corners with lens focussed at infinity. Other than that to reach infinity focus you need 280+1.4x or Leica to modify your lenses. I have some Apo-Telyt Modular stuff and the small head and 1.4x focussing unit have been modified in Germany to focus to infinity on my S, still got the large head and 2x unit to have modified. The shorter registration of the Fuji should help things with infinity....

john

• Like 1

Had a little search on Getdpi, apparently number of R lenses come with image circle bigger than 43mm. Fuji GFX sensor diagonal is 55mm.

19mm ~ 45mm doesn't state Mk1 or Mk2

28mm ~ 50mm doesn't state Mi1 or Mk2

60mm ~ 55mm

APO 100mm ~ 60mm

APO 180mm Elmarit ~ 64mm

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/42497-lenses-hartblei-hcam-alpa-fps.html

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested Fotodixpro already have several full frame lens adaptors for Fuji GFX also for Mamiya 645 lens.

I have enquired today and they confirmed R lens adapter will be available from March, happy days. My reasoning is unless I can get cheap s/h SL601 I may as well buy GFX to utilise 100 to 280mm R lenses, it is only few hundred quid more than new SL.

Anyone wants to swap M240 for SL601? Happy to pay difference in perceived S/h value.

Edited by mmradman

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Krusty said:

Hi all,

does anybody know if there is a medium format film camera & adapter existing so that I can use Leica R-Mount lenses on it? I am just thinking about this crazy idea... e.g. a Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm F/2.8 on a Pentax 67 ?

I think you'll struggle with R on a Pentax 67, simply due the respective back focus needs. R being way shorter (47mm) than the P67 (85mm).

R on a mirrorless (like the Hasselblad X1D (18.14mm), or Fuji GFX (26.7mm) is easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1