Fuji Medium format released in the USA $6,499

mikeodial

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's the nature of leapfrogging.  Just because a company is first doesn't mean that it can't fall behind.  They need to respond to their own issues....lens failures and such....and increasingly because competition doesn't stand still.  Moreover, the price point has been dramatically changed for Leica.  The S2 and S006 were priced at about $20-25k for the body alone.....that's laughable now.  Pentax changed the playing field in that regard, and others are now challenging them.  And so it goes.

Jeff

I agree.

Its also fact that just because a product is newer it doesnt necessary has to be better. In the end  its good that there are choices and new additions to the market.

I am just a bit tired that today often when something new is announced people come quickly to conclusion that the "old", known stuff is outdated and assume the new stuff is better, sometimes even before its available. I am sure the Fuji will be good, at the same time I am also not concerned about the future of the S system.

Not only isn't newer necessarily better, but the key determinant often comes down to user skills and preferences. Anyone who can't make quality pics and prints with the plethora of choices available today has issues beyond the gear.

But I am concerned about the future of the S system... but that's up to Leica, irrespective of Fuji or other brand.

Jeff

I agree.

Its also fact that just because a product is newer it doesnt necessary has to be better. In the end  its good that there are choices and new additions to the market.

I am just a bit tired that today often when something new is announced people come quickly to conclusion that the "old", known stuff is outdated and assume the new stuff is better, sometimes even before its available. I am sure the Fuji will be good, at the same time I am also not concerned about the future of the S system.

Indeed, I agree. I don't understand how people can claim so confidently that a camera that they have seen in picture only is better than another camera. If it's all a matter of pixel count, sure that specs sheet says it all. But we all know that's not the case. The S system comes with the S lenses that alone they are a reason to buy into the system. Fujinon has a long experience in making lenses for Hasselblad and we will see whether these new lenses will be on pair with the S lenses. I personally doubt it, but I would be happy to be wrong. 

The AF issues are certainly a mix bag with customers satisfied with the service turnaround (I am) while others are not. But one thing is clear to me: often people reach out to forums like this one when there is an issue and rarely post a comment just to say "hey there I am happy with this". You will always find more complaints, but that doesn't mean that a camera system has no future, it's bad, etc. 

I would never buy into a new system without testing it first....taking pics and making prints...as I did for a week with the S006. And I'll probably do the same with the GFX.

As for S reliability, I know one reputable dealer who warns any new buyer about potential issues, and will sell the gear at his cost. He obviously wouldn't do that unless his experience dictated. But enough about the S....it can be a fabulous system when it works.

Jeff

Can we get a sticky thread of S horror stories so people don't have to repeat their warnings in every other thread and I don't have to counter with my uniformly great experiences with the system? I'd rather not, yet I feel visitors will get a distorted view if they come across the same complaints everywhere they go. Some posters I put on ignore because ALL they do is bash the S (I don't know what they do in other fora). 

And I'd like a pony, too.  :rolleyes:

-Matt

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can we get a sticky thread of S horror stories so people don't have to repeat their warnings in every other thread and I don't have to counter with my uniformly great experiences with the system? I'd rather not, yet I feel visitors will get a distorted view if they come across the same complaints everywhere they go. Some posters I put on ignore because ALL they do is bash the S (I don't know what they do in other fora). 

-Matt

You can't censor the truth.

problem is some people believe the internet is the truth.

My recent source was a personal conversation with a reputable Leica dealer who has sold a significant amount of S gear. I was seeking to sort through the potential forum bias, which might overstate negative experiences. If anything, his comments were even more discouraging.

Jeff

My recent source was a personal conversation with a reputable Leica dealer who has sold a significant amount of S gear. I was seeking to sort through the potential forum bias, which might overstate negative experiences. If anything, his comments were even more discouraging.

Jeff

Maybe we should get him to join this forum :p

I would never buy into a new system without testing it first....taking pics and making prints...as I did for a week with the S006. And I'll probably do the same with the GFX.

As for S reliability, I know one reputable dealer who warns any new buyer about potential issues, and will sell the gear at his cost. He obviously wouldn't do that unless his experience dictated. But enough about the S....it can be a fabulous system when it works.

Jeff

Done some testing with the GFX. The in body JPEG is as usual business, great. I can shoot JPEG all day. The RAW is not supported yet so can't say much. The zoom lens is much better than the S30-90 and it feels lighter... or should I say better balance? either that or I got a lemon of a lens for my S30-90. The standard lens is well, standard lens. But I prefer the S70 over it. The 120mm didn't test much as they will generally be good.

I think S007 does feel old compare to the Fuji and the CMOS from 007 is really not that remarkable in comparison. I will say S006 has more character now. The operation of the GFX is really good and my favourite feature is the XPAN ratio crop... I know you can just crop in post. But when you frame and compost your image in XPAN mode, it's a dream come through for me.

In hand, it feels better than Leica in terms of handheld-ability. Built quality is not solid leica feel, but it's good, very very good. and you can further reduce the size by removing the EVF, and I can't wait for the angled EVF adaptor that let you do waist level framing.

Focus speed... hmmm not sure, I think it's faster.

Well, I am waiting for the first batch of Fuji to come out and report any problem, but so far, it feels good even in pre production model.

• Like 3

-Matt

So you are saying that all the bad experience is a figment of our imagination and your version of the truth is the only truth you will accept and we are just some troll who bash a good brand for the fun of it? It's not distorted view cause it is the general feeling of the S among almost all the S user I have known in Shanghai, and trust me, there's a lot what with all the corrupt money/gifts(in the form of S) they received. Anyway, I am probably on your ignore list. hahahah

The problem as I see it is that most people who want or need an S probably already have one. With the Fuji and the Hasselblad on the market at a far lower price point, Leica will find it increasingly difficult to sell the S to new buyers. The USP of Leica has always been the quality of their lenses and people seem willing to pay extra for them (I certainly have been willing over many years) but the attendant camera must be roughly competitive both in pricing, image quality, performance and pixel count with other cameras that are perceived as its peers. The S is in a different league in pricing and behind the curve on the latter items other maybe than image quality. A very difficult sell for Leica dealers.

Wilson 

• Like 2

The problem as I see it is that most people who want or need an S probably already have one. With the Fuji and the Hasselblad on the market at a far lower price point, Leica will find it increasingly difficult to sell the S to new buyers. The USP of Leica has always been the quality of their lenses and people seem willing to pay extra for them (I certainly have been willing over many years) but the attendant camera must be roughly competitive both in pricing, image quality, performance and pixel count with other cameras that are perceived as its peers. The S is in a different league in pricing and behind the curve on the latter items other maybe than image quality. A very difficult sell for Leica dealers.

Wilson

+1

It is very different now compare at the time of S2. I personally think S007 was totally missed market opportunity no matter how Leica promote it differently.

• Like 1

Agreed. With the S system it's all about the lenses. Leica would have been very wise to take 5 or 7 grand off the price of the body and add a few bucks to the price of each lens to make up the difference. An attractive body price makes all the difference in the world to buyers who are generally less price sensitive to lenses than bodies.

Leica have real chance to "relaunch" the S here riding on the interest of the GFX and X1D. But not with an AUD25K body. Yep. We'd be pissed if they took AUD 7k off the price tomorrow but that's be better for the systems future. And if they want the S to survive I really hope they're moving fast on a mirrorless body.

Gordon

Agreed. With the S system it's all about the lenses. Leica would have been very wise to take 5 or 7 grand off the price of the body and add a few bucks to the price of each lens to make up the difference. An attractive body price makes all the difference in the world to buyers who are generally less price sensitive to lenses than bodies.

Leica have real chance to "relaunch" the S here riding on the interest of the GFX and X1D. But not with an AUD25K body. Yep. We'd be pissed if they took AUD 7k off the price tomorrow but that's be better for the systems future. And if they want the S to survive I really hope they're moving fast on a mirrorless body.

Gordon

I agree. But I think that your suggested marketing strategy makes sense for the customers but no longer sense for the manufacturers. It used to be that case where the camera was only a way to get the customer hooked to a system and then the lenses were the real business. Today one buys the lenses and keeps them forever and may just add more lenses over time but most likely without replacing them. Because of digital obsolescence, a body gets replaced every 3 years and that's the cash cow in for the manufacturers in today's market... I am afraid that to make up for $7,000 on one body they need to double the cost of the lenses.