Back/Front focus regulation

roshuu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have any of you tried to correct problems focusing sticking pad or something on the lens? Can you advise something? My Voigtlander 40 / 1.4, has backfocus. Until now, I did correction manually (shift) ...

By the way - as previous owner cleaned matrix vacuum cleaner 1500W home, or it could result in some shifts the sensor? Or rather on the matrix will not be affected?

Beware that this solution can render your rangefinder inaccurate with other lenses. I don't know if your CV 40/1.4 suffers from focus shift but it is a well known issue i warned you about if i remember well. You may try to calibrate the lens at the aperture you prefer though. My ZM 50/1.5 is calibrated at f/1.5 for instance. This way it is accurate at f/1.5 but focus shift cannot be fixed at other apertures this way.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beware that this solution can render your rangefinder inaccurate with other lenses. I don't know if your CV 40/1.4 suffers from focus shift but it is a well known issue i warned you about if i remember well. You may try to calibrate the lens at the aperture you prefer though. My ZM 50/1.5 is calibrated at f/1.5 for instance. This way it is accurate at f/1.5 but focus shift cannot be fixed at other apertures this way.  

Is such calibration is permanent? How long can remain without offsets? I will not change lenses, will be permanently Voigtlander 40.

Is such calibration is permanent? How long can remain without offsets? I will not change lenses, will be permanently Voigtlander 40.

The calibration i'm referring to is not a body calibration but a lens calibration made by Cosina/Zeiss. It improves focusing at f/1.5 but cannot fix the focus shift at f/2 and above. If your CV 40/1.4 behaves like my  CV 35/1.4 SC, it is normally sharp at f/1.4-f/2 with serious focus shift at f/2.8 and above. Calibrating it at f/2.8 would render the lens sharper at f/2.8 and softer at f/1.4 & f/2 i guess but i have no experience with your lens. I would ask Cosina/Voigtlander to be sure.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If back focus behind subject and IF camera is correct,  you need to adjust the lens.  Likely there is internal adjustment or add/subtract shims.  This is proper way.

I have fixed a lens by cutting aluminum cooking foil , folding in half ,  and slipping between mount and lens.  You need to loosen mount .   This gives you around .001" increase.    Retighten using a star pattern,  i.e. 12:00,  6, 2, 8, 4, 10.

Use one round to just snug,  then round 2 a bit tighter, and 3 to original torque.   Check for smooth focus after each screw in 2 & 3  .  Uneven tightness will cause focus binding.  Use proper screwdriver.  They may be slotted, phillips, or JIT which look like phillips.  Micro tools .com.  Leica lenses are JIT #2.

I have also spray painted the back of the mount.  Two coats of black Krylon is .001"

Front focus is cured by removing mount  and thinning it with wet/dry paper, 400 grit , stuck on MDF board or float glass or marble surface plate.   You need a micrometer so you do not need to keep doing trials. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If back focus behind subject and IF camera is correct,  you need to adjust the lens.  Likely there is internal adjustment or add/subtract shims.  This is proper way.

I have fixed a lens by cutting aluminum cooking foil , folding in half ,  and slipping between mount and lens.  You need to loosen mount .   This gives you around .001" increase.    Retighten using a star pattern,  i.e. 12:00,  6, 2, 8, 4, 10.

Use one round to just snug,  then round 2 a bit tighter, and 3 to original torque.   Check for smooth focus after each screw in 2 & 3  .  Uneven tightness will cause focus binding.  Use proper screwdriver.  They may be slotted, phillips, or JIT which look like phillips.  Micro tools .com.  Leica lenses are JIT #2.

I have also spray painted the back of the mount.  Two coats of black Krylon is .001"

Front focus is cured by removing mount  and thinning it with wet/dry paper, 400 grit , stuck on MDF board or float glass or marble surface plate.   You need a micrometer so you do not need to keep doing trials. 

I wish you had no photos of this advice...