Availability?

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M240 and 262 are great and all changes are (IMO) minor steps forward, but the overall package is even closer to the feel and simplicity of analog photography. Indeed it even motivates me to put a film in my M3.

I think that's part of the pleasure. I've turned off auto preview and am greatly enjoying being able to do everything without touching a menu. Turn on, focus / frame / exposure set / shoot. Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

I'm in Hong Kong. I can't find any store online selling at a reasonable price and have stock and ships to Hong Kong. My dealer friend here has the first batch today but he have to sell at USD8,000. They believe the price will go back to normal in Feb. So I pre-ordered one at Leicashop Vienna. €5415, no tax or shipping it's a great deal. The confirmation email says 4-6 weeks. I wrote an email to them and they say probably in Feb.

I believe Leica is better prepared this time.

• Like 2

As someone who works at Amazon, if something is listed as "ships from Amazon" you can be certain it's in stock. It's in our warehouse even if it's a third-party seller.

I've had funny experiences with third party sellers.   Amazon accepted an order from me for the viewfinder (Visoflex 020) from a third party seller, took my credit card charge (which showed up as "pending" on the bank's website).  Then a day later I got an email saying that it was out of stock after all, and the pending charge disappeared.  Now it appears that everyone in the US is saying there will be a 4-6 week wait for more.  That's OK.  Leica accessories can require waiting 6 months or more (battery extension grips, the R to SL adapter, etc.)

scott

I think that's part of the pleasure. I've turned off auto preview and am greatly enjoying being able to do everything without touching a menu. Turn on, focus / frame / exposure set / shoot.

We've all be doing that since the M8/9, didn't we? Did the ISO dial really change anything in the overall handling of the camera? I doubt it. After all, with film we shoot everything at 400 ISO

Edited by horosu
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received a call this afternoon from Fireside, my local dealer here in San Francisco. They received two, the black one is mine and I actually did not ask if the silver one is spoken for. I did not expect it to arrive so quickly, good thing I have been working so much overtime to offset the dent in the credit card this will make. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow, if I get off before they close.

Kaethe

• Like 3

When it comes to availability, at least in the US, you have to understand Leica's system.

At last count, Leica had 17 regional reps in the US. When a new product starts to flow, the units are distributed equally among the regions - i.e. if the first shipment into Leica USA is 34 cameras, each rep and their region will get 2. The New York rep will get 2, the Rocky Mountain regional rep will get 2, etc. (I'm not sure how big old Calif. is divided up, nor whether NJ is part of NYC).

But at any rate, there will not be a 1:1 relationship between number of orders in a region and number of cameras delivered. NYC may have 200 waitlisted orders across the various big stores, while Phoenix/Rocky Mtns may have 20 - but both will get approximately equal numbers of cameras, at least until the early backorders are fulfilled (at which point a big store like B&H may get all 34 for themselves).

So we'll see what we are seeing - some will get cameras within a week of ordering (in a low-demand region) - others may wait many weeks.

Depending on Leica's worldwide delivery scale, I could get mine (ordered last Friday, Rocky Mtn region) this week, next week or in 4 weeks. The rep did not know how many would be moving how fast when I placed my order, and I haven't bothered to jiggle her elbow since - it will not get here sooner by fussing.

It does seem like Leica planned ahead better for the M10 than for the M8/9 in terms of having product ready to ship after announcement (I paid no attention to M240 shipments).

• Like 2

When it comes to availability, at least in the US, you have to understand Leica's system.

At last count, Leica had 17 regional reps in the US. When a new product starts to flow, the units are distributed equally among the regions - i.e. if the first shipment into Leica USA is 34 cameras, each rep and their region will get 2. The New York rep will get 2, the Rocky Mountain regional rep will get 2, etc. (I'm not sure how big old Calif. is divided up, nor whether NJ is part of NYC).

But at any rate, there will not be a 1:1 relationship between number of orders in a region and number of cameras delivered. NYC may have 200 waitlisted orders across the various big stores, while Phoenix/Rocky Mtns may have 20 - but both will get approximately equal numbers of cameras, at least until the early backorders are fulfilled (at which point a big store like B&H may get all 34 for themselves).

So we'll see what we are seeing - some will get cameras within a week of ordering (in a low-demand region) - others may wait many weeks.

Depending on Leica's worldwide delivery scale, I could get mine (ordered last Friday, Rocky Mtn region) this week, next week or in 4 weeks. The rep did not know how many would be moving how fast when I placed my order, and I haven't bothered to jiggle her elbow since - it will not get here sooner by fussing.

It does seem like Leica planned ahead better for the M10 than for the M8/9 in terms of having product ready to ship after announcement (I paid no attention to M240 shipments).

Andy -- You jumping from M9 to M10? If I am reading this correct, does this mean M10 is first upgrade you thought worthy of the expense and skipped the M240s? If so, just curious why, as yours is an opinion on this forum that I respect.

• Like 1

Initially, 1) I expect a $7000 camera to serve me at least 7 years (and preferably 10), and 2) did not like the disappearance of the full-time natural-light frameline illumination from the M240. I had no need for other M240 features (LV, EVF, video, more Mpixels). The minor size and weight differences were not considerations, however.

I was eventually tempted by the quieter shutter/cocking and the promise of higher ISOs, so in late 2015 I did swap two M9s for a used 240. Immediately discovered that 1) the real ISO gain, due to banding above 3200, was less than 1 stop, and 2) the M240 color was skewed too red (a short description of a more complex diifficulty with color relationships that I could not correct via any WB or profiling). So I swapped back to the M9, with its "Kodachrome" CCD colors, and eventually got a used MM v.1 for higher ISOs - not totally satisfactory since I need better high-ISO color as well.

I've been keeping an eye on the evolving color and ISO renditions as Leica has cycled into the Q and SL sensors, and the M9/MM shutters grate on me more and more (comes from working in the shop, where I heard Sony A7 and Fuji X shutters all the time). I'd come to accept that the external frameline lighting was gone for good. So I was starting to consider getting an M262 a couple of months ago - and then the M10 came along.

The kicker was getting to play with some of the M10 files out there last week via Leica's own site and dpreview. Much tamer reds, better cyans and greens, usable ISO 10000 in color. SOLD!

The bigger, more magnified, thus more precise-focusing finder, the faster shutter response (allowing 4-5 fps), the fact that black chrome came back as the standard black finish*, and the analog ISO dial, were all icing on the cake.

I am, BTW, keeping the M9 as my backup camera, so it will likely reach/surpass the statutory 10 years of ownership and (occasional) use.

_______

* although, always the contrarian, I ordered my first M10 in silver chrome ;)

• Like 7

Black body now in stock at Red Dot and the two M-240s should be finding new homes soon.  Availability is surprisingly good in my experience.  I also hear that Leica Mayfair now have the diopter thread adopters in stock so one way or another I'll have my 2 M system up and running by Tuesday and I'll be able focus the damn things too  :wacko:

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

Received a call this afternoon from Fireside, my local dealer here in San Francisco. They received two, the black one is mine and I actually did not ask if the silver one is spoken for. I did not expect it to arrive so quickly, good thing I have been working so much overtime to offset the dent in the credit card this will make. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow, if I get off before they close.

Kaethe

Thanks! Was able to get a camera because of this tip. 

One thing worth tracking is accessories here too, I would think. Spare batteries in particular seem hard to track down.

Black body now in stock at Red Dot and the two M-240s should be finding new homes soon.  Availability is surprisingly good in my experience.  I also hear that Leica Mayfair now have the diopter thread adopters in stock so one way or another I'll have my 2 M system up and running by Tuesday and I'll be able focus the damn things too  :wacko:

I am number  37 in Red Dot - how black body could be availabe?

Did anybody receive their M10 from BHPhoto or Adorama?

I am still waiting.

Not yet. Still "processing". I ordered at B&H. I also ordered the 50 Summicron and a 128 GB SDXC card and those two say "order placed". Not sure what is up with the lens and SD card status.

I'm in Hong Kong. I can't find any store online selling at a reasonable price and have stock and ships to Hong Kong. My dealer friend here has the first batch today but he have to sell at USD8,000. They believe the price will go back to normal in Feb. So I pre-ordered one at Leicashop Vienna. €5415, no tax or shipping it's a great deal. The confirmation email says 4-6 weeks. I wrote an email to them and they say probably in Feb.

I believe Leica is better prepared this time.

I've heard that half of all worldwide Leica sales occur in Asia, so I'm sure you'll see the M10 soon.