Availability?

dennersten

Got the silver one a week back - sold the MM1 and some lenses. Initially thought I would not "upgrade" but made  the mistake to handle it in the shop. Well - you only live twice ... The M-D stays, of course.

Edited by Photon42
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Guys, 

I got my black M10 yesterday. I was very lucky, because i was probably the only one who asked for a M10 in the store i got it from, as they normally just sell luxury watches (They don't even have Leica stuff on display, maybe only on order.. The M10 was one of the cheapest things they offer :D). 

So the delivery is moving forward, but only relatively slow. Best bet is probably to go with the very small dealers with short or no waiting lists at all. 

PS: The camera itself is amazing. IQ-wise definitely a step upward from the M-D i had before. 

Hi,

Here's what my Italian supplier says (I ordered a day or two after the announcement) :

sorry for the delay.

About the M10 is a real disaster, since the camera was introduce us and all of our colleagues we only got the demo unit we can not sell.

Leica continues to postpone deliveries for too much demand.

We have dozens of customers who have booked and would like to receive it soon.

All I know is that you should treat a worldwide problem.

The latest update by Leica is that the cameras should arrive between mid-March and late April. More I do not know ....

I'm so sorry

Time will tell. I'm in no rush anyway.

I'll have to put some batteries in my M4-P (that's an intended joke) because my M9-P and MM are off for a sensor change.

Hi,

Here's what my Italian supplier says (I ordered a day or two after the announcement) :

sorry for the delay.

About the M10 is a real disaster, since the camera was introduce us and all of our colleagues we only got the demo unit we can not sell.

Leica continues to postpone deliveries for too much demand.

We have dozens of customers who have booked and would like to receive it soon.

All I know is that you should treat a worldwide problem.

The latest update by Leica is that the cameras should arrive between mid-March and late April. More I do not know ....

I'm so sorry

Time will tell. I'm in no rush anyway.

I'll have to put some batteries in my M4-P (that's an intended joke) because my M9-P and MM are off for a sensor change.

None of this should come as a surprise.

We will hear how 'Leica didn't know how popular it would be' etc...

Yeah. Yeah. Same as they didn't for the M9, the M240. The Q, and if Leica made a cardboard box with a red dot on there would be a wait for that too.

In 4 years time. We will be in these forums lamenting the delay in the M11.

Once the M10 is finally available with regular shipments, I wonder if everyone who currently wants an M10 will still care?  Obviously many people will patiently wait, maybe months, until they finally have the new camera. They may also have a Leica rangefinder to use in the interim.  Me?  I recently sold my only Leica M body, in part to retain some equity value before the M10 causes older M bodies to fall, and, because I needed the sale to help me buy the M10.  Now I have a host of Leica lens options that I cannot use.  But with every week or month that I myself wait for the M10, those are days that I can keep reading about alternate choices.  The New Sony a99 II, the Pentax K-1, the Hasselblad XiD, etc. Time to consider if I really want to drop $6,595 on the M10 verses what else I can use and gain other technology. Like autofocus (my Q spoils me), in-camera or lens image stabilization, lower cost, and so forth. Time to think if I really want to manually focus with a digital rangefinder.  After all,m I am not a working photography pro, I am a hobbyist.  So while I am a long time Leica M & R film user, and a Leica X, Q and M digital users, buying a new M10 remains somewhat of an emotional impulse buy for me.  I hope that Leica is able to eventually help set expectations for us waiting for the new M10 so the allure of competing brands doesn't exceed the eventual delivery of the M10, and the daily longing for that camera verses other high-end options.

I'm sure someone will comment that maybe the M10 is not right for me.  However, I enjoy photography as a hobby, I can afford what I want, and I like trying various brands.  What I am saying is that I represent a segment of the M10 waiting list customer base that may not necessarily wait months just for this one new entry.  It the M10 was priced similar to a Fuji X-Pro2, then I could have multiple brands.  But being tied just to a very expensive camera marque that also has very long delivery times can make some of us look elsewhere. Just my thoughts.

• Like 3

Certainly nothing is stopping anyone from jumping to a different camera if they can't handle the wait for the M10. Personally, I have been waiting for this camera since I first started shooting the M9, six years ago or so. A few more months isn't going to change my mind.

However, since the M9, you had the option of moving into the M240, the M262, the M262 M-D, among more recent Leica rangefinder model releases.  You didn't have to wait 5 or 6 years between the M9 and the M10.  I am only saying that I can and will wait, but not an undue long period between model release and availability. 

The point being that I didn't want any of those other models. The M10 is everything I had hoped the M9 would be when I got it. So for me, a few more months won't make a difference. I've been waiting for this exact camera for a long time.

Availability depends on demand (which appears high) vs. production capacity (which appears the same as always). It will take a few months to sort itself out. Better to just go into it with that expectation. After a few years shooting with the camera, you'll likely not even remember this delay.

• Like 4

You did sell a perfectly fine M camera first. Possibly best to wait for confirmed availability if this is a problem?

Leica didn't promise availability and then not deliver. But I understand the frustration that waiting can bring.

The point being that I didn't want any of those other models. The M10 is everything I had hoped the M9 would be when I got it. So for me, a few more months won't make a difference. I've been waiting for this exact camera for a long time.

Availability depends on demand (which appears high) vs. production capacity (which appears the same as always). It will take a few months to sort itself out. Better to just go into it with that expectation. After a few years shooting with the camera, you'll likely not even remember this delay.

I'm on the same page. The M10 is Leica's first fully realized digital rangefinder. That's not to say the earlier iterations were bad cameras. Not at all. In many ways the M9 was and still is a great camera. I own a first gen Monochrom and still love it and shoot with it. But the M10 is easily Leica's most impressive all around performer in the M series.

Edited by NDOC
  • Like 1

It's like this with every release.  After months of rumor and speculation, Leica introduces their latest M camera, instantly provoking great excitement among the cognoscenti.  Those smart/lucky enough to get one of the first shipments add to the fever with their lovely images and their reports of great improvement.

Then, as the days turn into weeks, and those then into months, the angst and the frustration - and sometimes, outright bitterness - emerges.

It's helpful to remember that Leica has the very large challenge of building the M10 not just for today, in the weeks after release, but for the entire several-year production cycle of that camera.  How many can they build in a day?  How many should they be able to build in a day?  How big should the factory be?  How many workers should they hire?

Those aren't trivial questions.  They largely determine both the cost of your soon-to-be-new M10 as well as the long-term viability of Leica as a company.  There are no do-overs.  If Leica gets it wrong, there will be no M11.

Sure, it would be nice if we lived in a world where Leica could "ramp up" production so as to quickly meet initial demand, and then ramp it back down to match the slow downward glide path of the rest of the product cycle.  But that's a world where unicorns come visiting on Sunday.

Leica did tease us a bit with this release.  They apparently let the factory run for a couple weeks, enough to get a few hundred units into the pipeline, before announcement.  But otherwise it's the same as always.  They're building them as fast as they can.

The M11 will be the same.  If you want to be one of those smart people who get one in the first shipment, head on down to your local dealer and tell 'em you want to be on the list.  They'll laugh and tell you there is no list.  Ask 'em to make one.

Or else, wait until it's announced and decide then you want it.  In which case you get to wait.

It takes what it takes.

• Like 1

Don't worry later delivery people.

Some problems of first batches will be sorted out.

The last firmware will be the "best that Leica could deliver", and why not last hardware also :p .

So longer the wait time, fewer problems when your awaited M10 arrive.

Some people have SD problem ...

I'm using it with no problem (cross fingers :ph34r: ), but I'm aware that this is not the last/finished firmware.

And I accept it for it is.

Things must, can only  be better anyway.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2