Survey: Interested in the new Leica M10?

LUF Admin

Interested in the Leica M10?  

805 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica M10 tempting for you?

• Yes, exactly the features I was waiting for!
    • Definitely interested, but waiting for more reviews (or a model Leica M10-P)
    • No, no real advantages above my Leica M240 / M9
    • No, I need video

I don't see Leica using new tech to improve picture quality. No ibis, no electronic first curtain, an old evf. 4 years post m240 and this is the best they could do, thin? Is their some paralysis at Leica, the S is stuck, the T and now the M.

I don't see Leica using new tech to improve picture quality. No ibis, no electronic first curtain, an old evf. 4 years post m240 and this is the best they could do, thin? Is their some paralysis at Leica, the S is stuck, the T and now the M.

Conservatism probably yes but paralysis i don't think so. Rightly or wrongly, the SL is Leica's flagship camera now so i would not expect any significant evolution in 'inferior' bodies as long as the SL does not evolve itself significantly. Reason why we won't get a faster EVF for the M10 before long, if any, but i may be wrong.

This has everything that I had wished for in a digital M: the body width of the film M's and therefore the 'feel' of one, the physical ISO dial, and a more silent shutter and bigger buffer than the M9 and MM I otherwise enjoy. It is clearly designed to be the quintessential M, without the bloat of video and unnecessary buttons and menu items. I did not upgrade to the M240 because it was heavier and departed into trying to do things that a  DSLR or a Sony A7xx and now the SL can do much better. The M10 looks like a digital implementation of everything I love about shooting with a rangefinder and nothing more. I am on the edge of putting in my order despite not wanting to give up the M9 and MM to fund it! The one thing holding me back is the prospect of a Monochrom version. That I would not hesitate to get right now.

• Like 3

Subjectively I think M10 improvement isn't much over M240 as a tool; however I think I like almost all the updates.

Wish all improvements can implement in the next model, plus higher resolutions without sacrifice anything (I actually want more mega-pixel so its more in line with my other camera line-ups)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fallen in love already. Love every bit of it. Even my pocket feels slimmer: :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

Andreas, when you discuss this poll with Leica, could you also mention that there is a group of M240 users who do appreciate the higher functionality and would appreciate a further development of the 240 series, parallel to the M10? 

I could imagine a processor/EVF upgrade, higher specified sensor, enhanced Video, etc in the M240 body size, for instance.

The SL is not an alternative as it is EVF only.

+ 100000000

• Like 3

If I'm Leica management and look at this poll I find that 75% of respondents are definitely going to buy, or are seriously considering buying the new M10.  I also find that less than 1% of respondents consider video a critical feature.  

That would seem to suggest that the decisions Leica made in designing this updated M10 camera were correct.   Bravo to Leica for walking through the minefield of "what should we do to update the M line" questions and coming up with answers that seems to work for the majority of those interested in the M line.

• Like 7

Because my wife and I share my M9u and M8-2 Safari (the SL and S2P being my personal cameras) , she wants me to wait for a safari edition or finance the m10 through the sale of my numerous lenses. Then she will be waiting for an M10 safari edition.

For me the best option will be a M10 La Carte, if Leica decide to spread the program on the M10.

I have always wanted a slimmer camera and wrote here that protruding mount would be the best solution. It is the direct upgrade from our m9 because we decided to skip the generation. I am not sure that I need WiFi or even the electronicall viewfinder.

Yevgeny

I love the 240, does everything I need - have yet to have a situation it can't handle - albeit occasionally needing a tripod.

Of course the 10 intrigues - but oddly, I suddenly miss my sold off M9P.  Current prices for well cared for examples seem a bargain.  The colors...

I'll buy the M10 the day it's a monochrom M10, based on the M-D concept, screen being on my iPhone if ever I need to check the photos on the spot.

:)  :)  :)

These are EXACTLY my thoughts! I will wait for the monochrome version and hope is more like MD for us mono people. So I will hang onto my 246 until such time.

And I love it is using the T's EVF! Now looks like the T with an M hanging on it! Cracks me up. The only negative on that is the tiny snap that keeps it from tilting isnt too strong. Hopefully that is improved. But also being a T shooter, the EVF is much nicer.

• Like 1

Having skipped the M9, I am very much interested.  The main decision making factor will be whether it improves focus of critical lenses.  I look forward to testing the new view finder.  Much better ISO (compared to the M9) and better battery life (not really so difficult) are other advantages that I am looking forward to.  

The EVF issues are not relevant for me as I don't shoot long lenses on the M. Also, I   don't have any R glass.  Moreover, if I wanted EVF, I would go for the SL  (I may for the next generation.)

I was expecting it to have more MP but I for me the 24 are enough. I could make large 90x60 cm from the M9, and when I need/want to go larger, I have the S006.

Plus, I did not buy a new camera in a while (except a small Canon for my wife), so I feel I deserve it. :)  The more I think about it, the more likely it is that I will see my dealer tomorrow!

I was expecting more of a surprise but I do realise that the M rangefider system is very mature and apart from small tweaks such as the improved sensor with better high iso, better viewfinder and a better EVF, are valuable improvements. I would have preferred the EVF built in rather than a slightly clunky add-on This camera should suit those who like to keep things simple and direct without going to the length of abolishing the LCD. I do not see sufficient advantages for me to upgrade as I am quite happy with my M240. I happily used my M2 for over 30 years without feeling any burning desire to upgrade. Perhaps now that digital cameras are maturing there wlii be less need to update equipment so frequently.

• Like 6