Survey: Interested in the new Leica M10?

LUF Admin

Interested in the Leica M10?  

805 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica M10 tempting for you?

• Yes, exactly the features I was waiting for!
    • Definitely interested, but waiting for more reviews (or a model Leica M10-P)
    • No, no real advantages above my Leica M240 / M9
    • No, I need video

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I didn't have any issues using long lenses with the EVF...other than the speed/extended blackout.

The M10 EVF is vastly improved in this regard.

Same here, and the blackout did not really affect the actual taking of the image, seeing that it occurred after the shutter was tripped.

• Like 1

What's the decisive feature to order a Leica M10?

Or what is the point not to buy it?

There's nothing about the M10 I like better than the M240 other than the size, and that's just not compelling enough for me to upgrade to a new one.  Perhaps in a couple years I'll upgrade to a demo.  That's what I did M9-M240.  I could take a weeklong vacation in Europe for the difference in cost between demo and new on 2 bodies.

I just pre-ordered a M10 from Leica Miami.  They said it will probably take 6 months before I have it in my hands.  The M9 still works like a charm, so they aren't holding me up.  I'm thinking I will keep the M9 as a backup though, as it has been a great camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone post a pic of the bottom of an M10 with the bottom plate removed?

Here you go... bottom plate removed.. M10 (black)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually - on the M10, there is some kind of 24-contact plug underneath the panel with the "SD card" image in it. Not sure what the connectivity is. The small cover plate is held in place with low-tack adhesive (think Post-it Note glue) around the edge.

As Will Rogers said - "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble; it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so."

As a character in a Terry Pratchett novel said - "Not all questions are answered - but all answers should be questioned!"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 3

Actually - on the M10, there is some kind of 24-contact plug underneath the panel with the "SD card" image in it. Not sure what the connectivity is. The small cover plate is held in place with low-tack adhesive (think Post-it Note glue) around the edge.

As Will Rogers said - "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble; it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so."

As a character in a Terry Pratchett novel said - "Not all questions are answered - but all answers should be questioned!"

That plug may work. Looks different than the M240 but same style.

Shape & orientation of the connector is identical to M240, i didn't count pins but ball park figure looks about the same.

I'd be coming from nothing having lost my trust in Leica and selling my M240 2yrs ago, so I'm approaching the M10 from more of a clean slate perspective without having to evaluate whether it's enough of a step up to justify replace a digital M I already own. Honestly, if I still owned my 240 I very much doubt I'd be looking to trade up. Right now I use a fine but fiddly Fuji X-Pro 2. 

As a glasses wearer, the viewfinder is certainly something I'm curious to evaluate for myself, and as an M2 owner it would certainly be nice to have that .72x magnification in a digital body (or .73x as it is in this case). The sensor is of equal interest, as I was never wholly satisfied with the one in the 240. I understand the M262 sensor was different to that of its predecessor which I was not aware of until recently, but as things stand, if I am willing to take a leap of faith in the company again I'll say I am more interested in the M10 than I am buying a cheaper M262 (I think because I do value live view on occasion, so to retain that and have it in a slimmer body, with the trade off being battery life, I'd be interested to see if I find the M10 to be of better value to me long term. Going for a 262 would free up some funds to pick up a 50mm summilux sooner than I might with an M10, however).

I'm still mulling whether to come back to Leica as I've said elsewhere, but day by day I'm more tempted to take myself to a dealer, take my dear old rigid Summicron off my M2 and stick it on a 10 to see what's what.

Edited by db24fps
  • Like 1

I've been looking at the M10 image thread, and I don't find them exciting at all, in comparison to the CCD M's.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this. For those who really find a resonance with this tool, I'm happy for you.

Cheers!

I've been looking at the M10 image thread, and I don't find them exciting at all, in comparison to the CCD M's.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this. For those who really find a resonance with this tool, I'm happy for you.

My only way to judge is to test by taking my own shots, using my own workflow and making my own prints.  There are many variables in a disciplined print workflow that affect final results.

I still have my M8.2, but prefer results starting from my M240....color and b/w.  And the results from the M10 will likely be even better OOC....we shall see....and the viewing experience is already better.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

I'd be coming from nothing having lost my trust in Leica and selling my M240 2yrs ago, so I'm approaching the M10 from more of a clean slate perspective without having to evaluate whether it's enough of a step up to justify replace a digital M I already own. Honestly, if I still owned my 240 I very much doubt I'd be looking to trade up. Right now I use a fine but fiddly Fuji X-Pro 2. 

As a glasses wearer, the viewfinder is certainly something I'm curious to evaluate for myself, and as an M2 owner it would certainly be nice to have that .72x magnification in a digital body (or .73x as it is in this case). The sensor is of equal interest, as I was never wholly satisfied with the one in the 240. I understand the M262 sensor was different to that of its predecessor which I was not aware of until recently, but as things stand, if I am willing to take a leap of faith in the company again I'll say I am more interested in the M10 than I am buying a cheaper M262 (I think because I do value live view on occasion, so to retain that and have it in a slimmer body, with the trade off being battery life, I'd be interested to see if I find the M10 to be of better value to me long term. Going for a 262 would free up some funds to pick up a 50mm summilux sooner than I might with an M10, however).

I'm still mulling whether to come back to Leica as I've said elsewhere, but day by day I'm more tempted to take myself to a dealer, take my dear old rigid Summicron off my M2 and stick it on a 10 to see what's what.

I had the 262 and now have an M10.  IMO, the M10 is "much" better in many ways, not the least of which is the sensor.  The high ISO performance of the M10 sensor has really surprised me.. Shooting at ISO 3200 to 10,000 is a pleasure.  Files are remarkably clean (relatively speaking) and very usable.  I shoot only DNG and most of the time convert to B&W.   M10's battery life has not been an issue for me either (fortunately since I've still not been able to obtain a spare battery).  Seems to  have better life than what was initially reported.  I am careful though to condition the battery.. charge and discharge three or four times early on.  Handling the camera just "feels" better.. similar to my old M4.  I would try to get the M10 if at all possible.  I would not want to go back to my 262.

Edited by tbonanno
  • Like 4

I had the 262 and now have an M10.  IMO, the M10 is "much" better in many ways, not the least of which is the sensor.  The high ISO performance of the M10 sensor has really surprised me.. Shooting at ISO 3200 to 10,000 is a pleasure.  Files are remarkably clean (relatively speaking) and very usable.  I shoot only DNG and most of the time convert to B&W.   M10's battery life has not been an issue for me either (fortunately since I've still not been able to obtain a spare battery).  Seems to  have better life than what was initially reported.  I am careful though to condition the battery.. charge and discharge three or four times early on.  Handling the camera just "feels" better.. similar to my old M4.  I would try to get the M10 if at all possible.  I would not want to go back to my 262.

Thank you for sharing. That's very helpful. It's quite possible the ISO performance would diminish my immediate lust for the Summilux somewhat in knowing I could potentially get away with more at f2. I'll definitely look to get a hands on with the M10 before the end of the month.