Survey: Interested in the new Leica M10?

LUF Admin

Interested in the Leica M10?  

805 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica M10 tempting for you?

• Yes, exactly the features I was waiting for!
    • Definitely interested, but waiting for more reviews (or a model Leica M10-P)
    • No, no real advantages above my Leica M240 / M9
    • No, I need video

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Camera yesterday introduced the new Leica M10 which focusses even more on rangefinder photography.

Question to the Leica M photographers: 

Is the Leica M10 tempting for you?

Please vote above (choose the option which fits best to your opinion)

And please comment below

What's the decisive feature to order a Leica M10?
Or what is the point not to buy it?
  • Like 3

It seems like an insignificant improvement. If I didn't have an M240, I would probably buy it but I see no reason to trade up.

Most of the "advantages" are irrelevant to me, particularly the obsession with shaving a couple of millimetres off it, and the resulting reduced battery life is a big issue for me. The only noticeable improvement for me would be the larger rangefinder.

• Like 8

I have both SL and M240.  I didn't move up to an M240-P although I miss the frame line lever.  Don't see what an M10-P would add, so I think the poll is a bit mis worded.  My guess is that the M10 would be a natural move up for those who are still using their M9.  

So I would want to see two options where there is now only one:

O  no, I'm staisfied with my M240

O  no, I'm staisfied with my M9

scott

• Like 6

It looks like a very tempting evolution from the M9, which I still find fantastic, so I'm in no hurry.

But in terms of improvements, it is almost exactly what I would like. Improved OVF, improved high ISO, 100 base ISO, 24MP is plenty. Small is great but it seems like its 100gr heavier than the M9.

I may wait to see if a monochrome version is released. It's a pity there wasn't a simultaneous release of a monochrome.

• Like 3

I voted the first option, but I won't be buying - can't justify it as I have too many cameras already.

Yes, I voted the first option too (the M10 seems perfect) but I won't be buying either (just don't have a desire for a digital M camera at this time).

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

As expressed into a post elsewhere, having passed from a M240 to a M-D 262 for my great pleasure, all the improvements given by the M10 present no interest for me. Of course, YMMV. I wish good success to the M10 as it follows the road to simplicity.

• Like 2

I am more tempted by this than the M240 as a replacement for my M9. better high ISO performance and a larger buffer being the main reasons. The ISO dial is an interesting addition too. I wouldn't miss the video, USB port etc. I've always said that the main attraction of a Leica is the simplicity so I welcome the direction they have gone with the M10. 

I do find the CMOS sensors very samey, as someone said the files look similar to the Sony, I've had a quick look through some examples online and to be honest I wasn't blown away. They are nice but are they £5500 nice?

So, in conclusion... I can't tick any of the options. I am tempted but I think I will stick with my M9 for a while, maybe I'll pick up a used M10 for my 40th birthday (in 8 years time) by which time maybe they'll have dropped to current M9 prices and my M9 will be classed as antique!   

• Like 7

Just to expand my opinion, I like everything about the M10 except it's name, it should be called M11 and the M240 line should be rebranded to M10, formally or informally if it doesn't continue to be sold. Calling this the M10 when there was an M9 makes the M240 disappear in history. I think the change in the naming sequence to M 240 was a really bad decision (and everyone at the time questioned how they will call the next one if it was only M for the 240) and I applaud the fact that they're come to their senses and got back to the naming sequence we are all used to. Just keep it simple, Leica! But you should have gone directly to M11 and start calling the 240 as it should have been, the M10!

Regarding the updates and features of the M10, it is a step forward to me, simplicity, just like the M262 was a step forward relative to the M240, at least for me. In the case of the M10, less buttons in the back is good, ISO dial with a locking mechanism is good, exposure compensation on the side dial is good (if it doesn't get switched by accident), no video is irrelevant to me, high ISO capability is good and thinner body is great, we finally have a digital the size of the film M's (33mm thickness vs 37 on the M9 and 42 on the M240). Wifi with support for DNG is good for professional shooters and the bigger buffer is also important. All in all they are pretty much going the right direction after a little diversion with the M240. They can keep the most advanced features like video and EVF and all that in the SL line, to compete in the mirrorless segment, while keeping the classic rangefinder alive and well with the M line. Good move in my opinion. 

Because I am all too happy with my M9, which I think will forever be a very special digital camera with it's CCD technology and known capabilities, I do not intend to ever sell it (especially since it is my 3rd M9, I sold the previous 2 and regreted it twice), so I'll only be in the market for an M10 in a few years when the M11 is announced and the prices start to get down below 50% of the initial cost. But I will be following reviews and opinions in the mean time!

Edited by mca
  • Like 5

I like the M10 and would be very happy to buy it as a first Leica or as an upgrade to the M9, but I feel under no pressure to get rid of my M240, particularly as I have the SL as well.

Two things might have swayed me to buy:

- a silent shutter for music and theatre performance.

- an EVF that performed on a par with the SL, with no lag.

I console myself that another reason for not buying is that the next 6 months may make it clearer whether the prospect of a QL (small, L-mount, built-in EVF body) is a real likelihood or not.

• Like 2

It's tempting Andreas.

But one has to keep in mind "morals of convenience"...those with a reasonable system, perhaps several cameras, lack of cash, will make excuses to keep where they are....even if they'd secretly love to have the latest M by Leica.

They make every excuse why they can't.

all best..

My "morals of convenience" are ...I've just purchased an M-P for the live view (came from M8's)...but will get an M10 within the next 12 months I suspect.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

I'm very happy that Leica is focusing on the essentials. I don't really care for the slimmer body, nor the better high ISO. I love the upgraded viewfinder, the higher magnification, and the analog ISO knob. To me this is the most M like digital M that Leica ever developed. I will certainly buy one.

• Like 1

I'd love to get one with a good old Summicron 50, to remember my marvelous 60-years-old times with the M3. But...at 82, having owned no less than 470 Leica bodies, 600 lenses and 1,000 accessories through my Fontenelle Collection, and now walking with a tiny V-Lux 20 always ready in my pocket, I believe it wouldn't be really serious. Time has - and is gone...

• Like 10

Now that I used my M lenses on the SL for more than a year, I cannot go back to a camera with an inferior EVF.

The lack of proper in camera diopter adjustments on the M10's OVF making it even worst.

Don't get me wrong, if my eyesight was like 10 years ago, I would have been first in line for the M10-P.

It would be the perfect digital Leica M IMO.

Why the M10-P ? Because on a purely esthetic side, I cannot fail to notice that for the 4th time (M8, M9, M 240 and now M10) we will have to wait probably two year for a version without the red dot.

;)

And why the big silver chrome lens release on the front of a black camera ?

:|

I will stick with the SL which is for me the best camera to use M lenses for the time being.

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 4