Does Leica really value their customers?

See_Through_The_Glass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently, I have experienced an extremely frustrating repair and communication with Leica NJ and it is the first time, and only time that I feel disappointed of being a Leica user.

I have been a royal Leica customer who owns, or has owned most of the M cameras and lenses since 1999. As a M9 owner, it is highly likely you would encounter the CCD corrosion problem and to get it repaired, apparently I was not the lucky one so I sent it out to NJ for repair last year. As you all know, the wait time was such a pain that challenges how long a photographer can live without his gear. Finally I received it around the beginning of the last December. I was so thrilled to receive the gear, even though at the time I almost forgot that this camera was ever mine. However, the excitement didn't last long. When I inspected the camera, I noticed some visible particles inside the viewfinder, which were not there when I sent it out. They look like oil residue siting on different layers of the viewfinder glass. The stain-looking particles reflect white to clear color when observe under the bright light. Visible dust can be seen as well. I was really surprised when finding the issue since the camera should have been overhauled and functions as new based on other owners' experience.

Therefore, I sent it back to them immediately the next day, I even didn't bother inserting the battery and testing the camera, in other words, I literally just took it out and put it back in the box. As expected, it was another long wait and numerous back-and-forth communications as if I lost the camera. Now it is 2017, I am still without the camera even thought the goodwill warranty has started. I called them multiple times trying to follow up but every time I had to repeat the story even for the same customer support who answered the call previously. It is even harder to try to talk with the customer support who knew the whole case. They will never call back even they promised. Finally I received their email regarding the repair estimate few days ago, which is $990 plus tax. The given reason is that the stains are moisture spots and cannot be cleaned off, therefore the rangefinder needs to be replaced. The camera was clean when sent out, how did the rangefinder get contaminated? As a photographer who has both vintage and new era cameras, both digital and film cameras, I clearly know what a moisture spot looks like and how hard it takes to clean the rangefinder. I have always babied my gears and put them in a dry box, which is impossible the gears would have moisture issues. Plus, the M9 was barely used and has only approx 1000 shutter counts without even one scratch on the body.

Now the question is, why should customers should be responsible for other people's mistake when they have done nothing wrong? The manager talked to me like, yea, we screwed your camera, but it's ok, you are the one will be paying. I sent the camera out to get it repaired, not to create a new issue, this is how a normal human being with sanity thinks. Their technician broke my camera, but I either need to pay $1000 to get it fixed, or leave it. What kind of company is this? The most hilarious part was, at the end of the call, the manager told me they issue was detected when it was initially received. What a good lier! What didn't you spot it out in the assessment sheet? Instead of taking the responsibility and doing what they were supposed to do, they chose to pass the buck. Even a startup would not do this. I used to be proud of being a Leica user, but now, not any more. Leica should have made their user proud of using their products and choosing the brand, but not they failed on doing those. Yes, I am just a normal customer, but does it mean I don't deserve a high quality customer service? I don't know what to do right now. Truly.

I think that I would call the head of Leica USA and discuss this with him/her.   In the past I have found that a discussion with Leica Australia over faults and service issues led to rapid resolution of my problems.

I would assume (hope)  the same would apply over there

• Like 1

I think that I would call the head of Leica USA and discuss this with him/her.   In the past I have found that a discussion with Leica Australia over faults and service issues led to rapid resolution of my problems.

I would assume (hope)  the same would apply over there

Thank you for the advice Mark. Could you share how to get in touch with the higher ups, please?

the numbers come up on google pretty easily. i'm on an iphone so cant paste the page easily. include wetzlar in your search. i would consider emailing the md

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by antigallican

Tom, your post made me think of a trip from Nice some years ago when the man in front of me was checking in a lot of photographic equipment. He made a fuss, the check in lady made a fuss. He paid extra. The French ground staff cosseted it, carried it away carefully. When we went to the baggage reclaim in Luton the carousel spat it all out like a rocket launcher. I had to laugh - though of course it wasn't my kit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@see_Through_The_Glass.

Here it is

Leica Germany      Tel: 0049644120800

Initial call will be answered in German,however,most do speak English.

Please be calm and try to explain  as nicely as possible. Afterall we are all human and we make errors.

But it pays when our approach is respectful.

I hope you get everything sorted.

And yes they do value their customers.

Edited by Lord Lucan