Why M240 users will (not) switch to M10

jmahto

Never having had the facility, I am wondering does the GPS record the Lat and Long for the image in the file?

That done, into the future do you then need to consult a map to find where the image was made?

I am curious how this really works.

For me the main usefulness is search. LR uses "reverse geocoding" (It can be enabled in Catalog Settings > Metadata > Reverse Geoencoding) to find out Sublocation, City, State/Province, Country, and ISO Country Code. It means that I can search for all pictures taken in San Francisco just by typing "San Francisco" in the search. Other tools may have similar features (I guess Picasa also does).

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Not that obvious to me... I'll happily substitute "you" by "one".

Anyway the whole discussion is completely moot, as there is no GPS in China.

Ah, there is on the T/TL and the SL... not to mention iPhones and various specialized GPS units like Garmin. GPS is everywhere here, just not on the M. That's my point!

Edited by Soden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not for nothing but the M has no GPS in it to begin with. It is added with an accessory such as the Visoflex or a grip.

It's the accessory that has the issue. GPS on an M is an afterthought.

It's the same Visoflex on the M10 and T/TL. No problems on the T/TL, GPS works well. So I don't follow your logic.

All it would take is a firmware update to fix this.

Edited by Soden

Well this is way off topic... but to say simply, when someone refers to your work as not very significant, one tends to get upset.

Please show me where I referred to your work as insignificant! I don't even know what work you do.

As for the GPS question, I am definitely no expert, but I suspect photographers for many many years have found other ways to locate and annotate their images, albeit not as convenient as GPS apparently is. Fact is, you do what you can with what you have and make the best of it.

Edit: I just read, in another post that you are a teacher. I imagine that to to be very difficult without the native language and a greater challenge than the absence of GPS. Your efforts, I suspect, are to be admired.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't come here much, a pissing contest between a poster and the mods not realizing they are being just as pissy. 

Sweet!

For someone who does not come here much, your opinion of mods smacks of ignorance. As for pissing contests, I am under the impression that they were invented by your lot, down  in Texas wasn't it?

Please show me where I referred to your work as insignificant! I don't even know what work you do.

As for the GPS question, I am definitely no expert, but I suspect photographers for many many years have found other ways to locate and annotate their images, albeit not as convenient as GPS apparently is. Fact is, you do what you can with what you have and make the best of it.

Edit: I just read, in another post that you are a teacher. I imagine that to to be very difficult without the native language and a greater challenge than the absence of GPS. Your efforts, I suspect, are to be admired.

Sorry you misunderstood, I was referring to a comment from jaapv. At no time did I think you were disrespectful.

I teach English in a university, one geared toward educators. All of my students have had ten years of English, but even so there english is horrible.

On the other hand, I do travel extensively with many friends, whom none of which speak English. So I avail myself with whatever technology that assists in communication. Like the maps app on the iPhone. The problem is updating the hundreds of photos I take with my M. Having built in GPS would be very helpful, I suspect that others feel that way too or the function would not exist at all. I find the restriction of the location of usage to be ridiculous. The T/TL ( and SL) do not have this restriction, but do share the GPS in the common Visoflex.

I have and shoot extensively with the M240 and M246. I also have the Multifunction handgrip. It's GPS is so bad I hesitate to buy any camera that has restricted GPS. Last summer I was visiting my family in the states. I was there for about two months and never did the GPS recognize I was out of China.

Edited by Soden
  • Like 1

An excellent example of how NOT to deescalate a pissing contest.  Well done!

Well, I have a spare pair of shoes. You may like to try them on.

I have invited other mods to delete my post if considered out of order.

Notwithstanding, I am just an ordinary person like anyone else. I do sometimes react to opinions that are without genuine supportive substance.

P.S. It is also only opinion that it was a pissing contest. I did not view it that way. Calling it such is in fact an escalation in itself, IMO.

• Like 1

P.S. It is also only opinion that it was a pissing contest. I did not view it that way. Calling it such is in fact an escalation in itself, IMO.

Erl, fair enough man.

So let me put it another way: Why is it when ever I come here and lately it is to see how M10's are shipping, I just see so much foot stomping grumpiness? 

I just wish it were a more friendly place like my other forums, hiking, mtn. biking, etc. 

• Like 1

Yup.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jeff[/

No problem. English is so illogical, I'm surprised by the lack of humor in the classroom. But people really care about this stuff, they get their panties in a twist if you use "you" in opposed to "one", when in reality they mean the same thing.

Sorry you misunderstood, I was referring to a comment from jaapv. At no time did I think you were disrespectful.

I teach English in a university, one geared toward educators. All of my students have had ten years of English, but even so there english is horrible.

On the other hand, I do travel extensively with many friends, whom none of which speak English. So I avail myself with whatever technology that assists in communication. Like the maps app on the iPhone. The problem is updating the hundreds of photos I take with my M. Having built in GPS would be very helpful, I suspect that others feel that way too or the function would not exist at all. I find the restriction of the location of usage to be ridiculous. The T/TL ( and SL) do not have this restriction, but do share the GPS in the common Visoflex.

I have and shoot extensively with the M240 and M246. I also have the Multifunction handgrip. It's GPS is so bad I hesitate to buy any camera that has restricted GPS. Last summer I was visiting my family in the states. I was there for about two months and never did the GPS recognize I was out of China.

Well, Jaapv meant the comment in a general manner, not aimed at any specific member. Sorry if I misformulated.

Well, Jaapv meant the comment in a general manner, not aimed at any specific member. Sorry if I misformulated.

Then don't reply, just post. It's implied that when you reply it's primarily for the person you are replying to. Using third person passive aggressive is a bit obsolete, and never used when you are speaking in a reply.

But in reality, this is trivial compared to the chinglish I deal with in my class... Your Majesty.

Edited by Soden

Doesn't Soden have a point?

Leica provides GPS location on the SL & TL in China. Why not on the M (if this is the case)? Surely he can make that observation without backhanded comments. He has a point doesn't he?

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3