Leica T vs. Leica X2 (X-E)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a significant difference between the X2's sensor and the one of the T?

I am asking because I really liked my X2, but sometimes it felt the the excellent lens was somehow limited by the sensor -- in terms of dynamic range and details. Furthermore, I would need a faster lens, so the Summicron 23mm on the T seems to be fine.

The pictures I saw did really impress me. Very clean, 'sober', yet different to the X2. Don't now if it's the lens or the sensor?

Since I travel a lot in South America, I'm looking for an unobtrusive system. Even though I like the T's design I'm wondering if it's no too, well, ostentatious?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by clavewifi

I read the X2, X 113, X Vario and Leica T all share the same sensor so the dynamic range would be basically the same. The T with the 23mm f2 pics would be very similar to those of the X 113 and its fixed lens. However the T will let you use many different lenses. I have the X1 and I like the files more than those from my -now sold- X 113.

Probably the T with those colorful covers will draw more attention than any other Leica.

• Like 3

While the 2 cameras use the same sensor, the T lacks an anti-alias (AA) filter, enabling it to resolve more detail (sharpness) than the X line of cameras. The AA filter avoids moire, which can sometimes be a problem in photos that have patterns of striped lines, like some clothing may have or when photographing skyscrapers. It hasn't really been a problem for me, and I much prefer having the extra sharpness on hand with the T's lack of AA filter.

The T lenses are very special too. That 23mm is small and sharp, and makes the camera small enough to fit in a coat pocket.

Start up times and AF are faster on the T also. They all combine to be a pretty big advantage IMHO.

Hope this is helpful. Cheers.

I haven't even looked at the X2, but besides the advantages already mentioned of the T, the fact the T is an interchangeable lens camera is a mega plus. I originally bought the T because I could use my existing lenses, looking for something more pocketable than my M as an alternative camera I carry around always. Has been a joy to use.

I feel the T has a thinner AA filter. I also find color slightly different.

I mainly use the T but keep the X2 when I need a really compact camera. The T+23 is considerably bigger. I use the T much more though , the EVF is much better, the camera and AF is faster, the lens is f2.0, that's all pluses for the T.

• Like 1

Thank you!

It's interesting, I had both the X (113 ) and the X2. While both share the same sensor, the outcome was quite different. I did like the colours of the X2 better and the lens seemed sharper. Sometimes the X2 has an almost 'psychedelic' or dreamy rendering, but I needed a faster lens and its Af was slow.

Back to the T: I understand that the difference is the lack of the AA filter, which leads to higher resolution. The pics I just saw here are quite impressive, even the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 looks very good an the T.

I assume that for MF on third-party lenses it's essential to buy the EVF?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The EVF is very nice to have, particularly for outdoor photographs. 

I have had all of the above cameras.

X2 was terrific, but a tad slow comparatively. Beautiful design and very compact. 

X113 was a step up from the X2. Faster autofocus. Faster lens for low light performance. Excellent sharpness.

T affords the most options with its interchangeable lenses. And, that is a big benefit. The on-screen menus take a bit to get used to, and frankly, I still prefer the traditional user interface, but the flexibility of the T puts it at the top of the list in terms of what I would choose.  If you want it 'light' just carry it with the 23mm Leica 1.7 lens and you've got the same package as the X113. Or, take the 18-56 and you've got the versatility of a X vario. Or, you want one really fast, sharp lens, get the 35 1.4. Or, there are many very affordable 3rd party Zeiss and Voigtlander options, if you don't mind manual focus. (I recently acquired a Zeiss 50mm f2 planar and it is exceptional - small, inexpensive, easy to use, excellent IQ, and a wonderful portrait lens at an effective 75mm on the T). 

(I would add that I think the images from the X Vario and T 18-56 have a different character, but are equally terrific in their own way. Not as much so, for me with the T and the 113, which are more similar to each other in character).

GLW your selection, as there are no bad options.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

I think Ropo's  assessment of the situation is fair and and accurate.

For my use.. the X2 and X113 were both wonderful, but of course limited by a fixed 23mm lens.  I feel the X2 IQ is very special - it has a gorgeous output in my opinion.   However, even though a vast majority of my photos are at the 35mm equiv... I feel my options are far too limited  when I have no second choice.  The XVario steps it up with a good range zoom and I do feel that the XVario lens is a tad sharper than the 18-56  on the T, but not by much, and certainly not enough to give up interchangeable lenses. 

I also have had wonderful success with both my Zeiss f 2.8  25mm Biogon  and 50mm f 1.5 Sonnar M mount lenses on my T.  It is a matter of preference, but I do like the Zeiss micro contrast and vivid color rendition.  In addition, I really enjoy the deliberate approach to my shots that is required with a manual focus lens.  Obviously shooting fast moving subjects is a problem.   For that, I have  the 11-23, 18-56, and 55-135 which  give me a high quality travel kit that fits in one carry-on bag and can all shoot with auto focus.  That much fire power in a relatively small package is priceless as far as I am concerned.  I have owned and used most every camera system out there these days and have finally settled on a system that yields superb IQ in reasonably sized outfit - the Leica T

Rick

• Like 1

Ok. Understood ;). I will start with the T and the 23mm f2. Since I don't mind MF: are there are any recommendations on 3rd party 35mm? The Leica 35mm 1.4 seems quite big and expensive. I was thinking of the new Voigtländer 35mm 1.7, which received good reviews and has m mount.

I once have had the Zeiss Contax G 45mm and loved its colours and sharpness, but there is no adapter for the T, right?  

@ Rob: Maybe I have had a bad copy, my X2 seemed to be sharper than my X 113 and had an unique colour rendition...still missing it.

Thanks again an best regards

W

• Like 1

Ok. Understood ;). I will start with the T and the 23mm f2. Since I don't mind MF: are there are any recommendations on 3rd party 35mm? The Leica 35mm 1.4 seems quite big and expensive. I was thinking of the new Voigtländer 35mm 1.7, which received good reviews and has m mount.

I once have had the Zeiss Contax G 45mm and loved its colours and sharpness, but there is no adapter for the T, right?  

@ Rob: Maybe I have had a bad copy, my X2 seemed to be sharper than my X 113 and had an unique colour rendition...still missing it.

W

W-

The 35 1.4 chunky, expensive but exceptionally sharp and contrasty and gives one the AF. The Zeiss 50 f2 is MF- but this yields 75mm equivalent - is much more compact, superb, priced quite reasonably on the used market ($600+ range), and is fabulous. And, it does require a Leica M to TL/SL adapter. (See some of the recent photos I've posted on the 'Post your photos' thread.

I've been reading a lot lately on the Voigtlander and it seems to get exceptional reviews. I've been considering adding that one along with a Voigtlander 50 1.5. Check out Ashwin Rao's review of these lenses on Steve Huff's site.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

W

W,

I had the same thoughts also - my brief stint with an X2 was enough to get me into these 16 meg crop sensor Leicas - I thought the IQ of the X2 was outstanding.  I did try an X113 at a later date and was disappointed that the IQ did not impress me.

I might also mention that the  Zeiss ZM 35 f 2.8 seems to be a good size match for the T and it gets extremely positive reviews. 

Rick

• Like 2

Thank you,

one very last question: which adapter do you use (Leica M --> T). The one sold by Leica for roughly 300 $ or are there 3rd party producers (Fotodiox etc...?)

Yes the Leica version is expensive, I got one used for a bit less. The leica version has electronic tabs for passing exif to camera if using modern Leica lenses. Novoflex makes one that is without any pass through of information. The Novoflex one would be OK by me since I use uncoded Zeiss lenses anyways, but if you plan on using Leica lenses you might want their version. However, you can shoot manual or aperture priority with either adaptor.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1103369-REG/novoflex_let_lem_lens_mount_adapter.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a used Leica T with the 23mm Summicron yesterday at the local Leica Store. One year warranty, three Hoya Filters, all kind of straps and snap cases....Thank you guys for helping out on this decision: the camera is a beauty. I like the minimalist, yet sturdy look-and-feel. With the latest firmware, autofocus and startup time are acceptably fast. I will post some pictures as soon as weather condition gives permission. 

I also had a look at the Summilux 35mm TL and have to admit that its size did deter me a bit. A Summicron in the 23's size would be perfect. I will have a closer look on the Zeiss ZM 35mm 2.8 or the Voigtländer Ultron 35mm 1.7. On the other hand: manual focusing would require the viewfinder. Hm.   

"

I also had a look at the Summilux 35mm TL and have to admit that its size did deter me a bit. A Summicron in the 23's size would be perfect. I will have a closer look on the Zeiss ZM 35mm 2.8 or the Voigtländer Ultron 35mm 1.7. On the other hand: manual focusing would require the viewfinder. Hm.   "

W,

To me, the viewfinder is an essential part of the camera and its use.  Without it, you merely have a very sophisticated  'point and shoot' - a major loss in focus and compositional function.  I strongly recommend getting one. 

Rick

• Like 1

"

I also had a look at the Summilux 35mm TL and have to admit that its size did deter me a bit. A Summicron in the 23's size would be perfect. I will have a closer look on the Zeiss ZM 35mm 2.8 or the Voigtländer Ultron 35mm 1.7. On the other hand: manual focusing would require the viewfinder. Hm. "

W,

To me, the viewfinder is an essential part of the camera and its use. Without it, you merely have a very sophisticated 'point and shoot' - a major loss in focus and compositional function. I strongly recommend getting one.

Rick

The Viewfinder is a must have for manual focus. Since the T doesn't have focus peaking, the viewfinder is really important. Trying to verify focus on the back screen not ideal for those of us with older eyes!

• Like 2

I don't doubt the viewfinder being essential, it is just a matter of size.  I've had it on the X until both 'disappeared' in a burglary.... which eventually lead to the purchase of the T. I just took a few photos and I'm very pleased by the results.

Most likely I will get the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 ZM additionally to the 23mm Summicron because I'm still mourning over the Zeiss Biogon 45mm G. Is anyone using the ZM lens on the T? 

Best regards