Leica M Monochrom - Sensor Corrosion and Great Service (NJ)

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An experience different than the one posted here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/263237-leica-m-monochrom-sensor-corrosion-and-bad-service/

Suddenly noticed suspicious spots in my images and as chance had it, I needed to head to northern New Jersey for an errand, close by the service center. It is located in a business park off Route 17 (20 miles/32 kms from Manhattan). The staff was very personable and efficient; a technician was summoned and after a 15 minutes check,  they confirmed corrosion. Because of the extended time needed to obtain a new sensor (as of this writing, upwards of 3 months quoted) I enquired whether they might have a loaner. Without batting an eye, they fetched one just back from its own sensor swap and lent it for the duration.

If you live in the NY City area and time the trip just right (mid-morning), it's quite fast and the center has a nice waiting area while the staff checks out the equipment.

• Like 1

Good story, and nice that you got a loaner. Are you saying they just told you it's now a three month wait for sensors?

I ask because mine has been there for eleven weeks now, and they recently told me it would be completed in ten weeks. I emailed this week and last week requesting an update, but they don't respond. I sure hope it's not three months on top of my current wait.

Enjoy your loaner.

John

Good story, and nice that you got a loaner. Are you saying they just told you it's now a three month wait for sensors?

I ask because mine has been there for eleven weeks now, and they recently told me it would be completed in ten weeks. I emailed this week and last week requesting an update, but they don't respond. I sure hope it's not three months on top of my current wait.

Enjoy your loaner.

John

I dropped it off this past Tuesday and they were a bit vague, 2-3 months and leaning toward the latter; but the gist was that the monochrome sensors are made in batches and turnaround time is as dependent on when in the manufacturing cycle you dropped the camera off as is the demand at each center for the new units.