35 and 75mm or 35 and 90mm

tifh21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M travel kit is a 35 and 90 and there's not much that I can't cover with that for general photography.

The 75 might be easier in use though as the frame lines for the 90 are quite small, and it's not much to crop down to 90mm equivalent for more reach.

Basically either pair will be great it's just down to personal preference and budget.

Don't forget that unless you own a new M (M4-P is new) you can't frame a 75mm, so it's 50mm or 90mm.

I'd go for a 90mm, although I only have a 35mm and a 21mm, as not all my cameras have 75mm frame lines and there is a larger choice available on the used market (in terms of both models and numbers).

Don't forget that unless you own a new M (M4-P is new) you can't frame a 75mm, so it's 50mm or 90mm.

I'd go for a 90mm, although I only have a 35mm and a 21mm, as not all my cameras have 75mm frame lines and there is a larger choice available on the used market (in terms of both models and numbers).

Indeed. I assume the OP is using a digital M given that they're also using a macro Nikon lens with it.

My M is an M2 so it's 35 & 90 for me, plus I really like the 90 f4 Elmar lens.

I use either a 35 lux or 50 lux 85% of the time.  Neither 75 nor 90 are standard lenses (ie mounted on camera for most of the day) unless portraiture is your thing.  For the 5% usage (the other 10% being a wide angle lens) I find a 90 much more useful than a 75.  I think of a 75 to be a much less versatile 50.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

isn't the 35mm and 50mm too close together if i get a 50mm first? just asking.

For some, but not others.

Depends on who you ask.

What do you think?

:D

I use a 35 and not a 50. I just don't like using a 50, so therefore it is not the same as a 35. Some people like using them both, some people feel a 28 and 35 work well together, some feels they are too close.

This is one of those questions where you will get n+1 answers where n is the number of respondents. :)

When I travel with a two lens kit, it is 35 and 90.  I do not own a 75mm as 1) it is too close to a 50 or 90 for that matter, 2) 90's have been around forever and the 75 focal length is a late comer to Leica M lenses, and 3) my favorite Leica is the M2 which has focal lengths of 35/50/90.  And I do not like the cluttered 6 frame viewfinders of the M4P and later Leica's.

oh okok:) thank you. based on the diff replies i got from here i'm guessing ill be happy with whichever i choose. I don't think there's a bad leica lens. They all seem to produce great results. so i'll jusf search for the best bargain and size. :)

Best bargain M-Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE. One of the best 90 at any price. A must have if f/4 is not too slow for you. Happy snaps :).

isn't the 35mm and 50mm too close together if i get a 50mm first? just asking.

I would rarely carry those two together. There are two "sets" I use, depending on my mood and what I'm planning to shoot:

18-28-50-90

or..

18-24-35-75

I tend to favor the option with the 35mm Summicron more than the set with the 50mm Summicron.

If I was travelling on a photo-specific trip, like this coming May with the Photo club for 5 days to White Sands National Monument in New Mexico, I'm liable to take them all, but go out each day with only 3 or 4 of them, the others in reserve as backup or for another day.

Edited by Gregm61