35 and 75mm or 35 and 90mm

tifh21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm currently using a 35mm summicron and a 55mm micro nikon for my leica. I was thinking of adding another lens to complete my setup. I dont want a wider one i'm happy with the 35mm. Anyway my choices are a 90mm summicron f2 (preasph), an elmarit 90mm v1 or a 75mm summarit. I wanted a 50mm summilux but that's a want that i will probably get in the future. For now i just want one last lens that can be used for portrait and low light(not super low light but not f4, so im good with f2 or f2.8)

which one would fit my setup best? this is purely subjective i know:) but i want to hear your opinions.

Given that you speak of a Micro Nikkor, I suppose your Leica is a M240 or 262 : in this case, my (personal) advice is for the 75 focal : the wider view into VF imho is an advantage in using... and modern Digital M (and modern lenses like the Summarit) do support easily a certain level of crop when needed :it depends on print size, of course... but for my experience you can crop a 75 to 100/120 equivalent and print on 30x40 paper with excellent final quality.

Summarit 75 is a light and a fine lens, after a while I bought it, 35+75 has been my "light" set, preferred over the "historical" 35+90 which used ofr years and years at film times...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

35 & 75 Summicrons are my most often choice for travel, but sometimes I prefer 35 & 90Apo or CV 21 Ultron with 50 Lux asph FLE. 35 & 90 set is marginally heavier (75 of course is closer focusing lens than Apo90 and in addition have FLE). So, I also prefer 35 & 75...

Summarit 75 is a great lens too: light, sharp, small, good bokeh and micro contrast, modern look.

Edited by otho

35 and 75 is a great combination for M bodies.

Most 75's are as stated above, high enough resolution wise to be cropped to a 90mm format without serious loss of resolution.

The 75 lenses are generally easier to focus accurately than the 90's.

For general travel photography a 35/75 combo works really well, and opens up the possibility of adding a 24 or 21 for interior shots if required.

Edited by 4X5B&W

For a two lenses kit i would say 35+75 but for 3 lenses including a 50 i would say 35+50+90 preferably due to the proximity of 50 & 75. Now it is a matter of tastes anyway and when i carry a small bag i often choose a 75 instead of a 90. For portraits in low light depends if you intend to do sharp or soft portraits. For sharp portraits my favorite are 90/2 apo & 75/2 apo. For soft portraits, 90/2 v3 & 75/1.4. If you're on a budget you will hardly find better lenses than current Summarit 75 & 90 but those are sharp lenses indeed. The Elmarit 90/2.8 v2 and the "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 feel a bit softer at full aperture. For softer results at full aperture i prefer the Elmarit 90/2.8 v1 but again it is a subjective matter as you know. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i'm actually leaning towards a softer one like the old leica lenses just bec my summicron is sharp for me and sometimes a little too sharp.

Then Summicrons apo & Summarits 75 & 90 won't be probably for you. The only soft 75 i have experience with is the bulky and expensive Summilux 75/1.4. Otherwise, among 90mm lenses i would choose the Elmarit 90/2.8 v1 personally. Beware that this is not a small lens though. Another option would be the "fat" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 but i have no experience with it. The "thin" one has been my favorite 90 for 20+ years but it is sharper than the 90/2.8 v1 and it flares a lot so it is difficult to advise it from this viewpoint.

Since you already have the equipment, and since you seem to acknowledge the value of lens other than Leica , have you considered an 85mm 1.8 Nikkor, or a 105 2.5 Nikkor. Also, if any interest in macro, an early Elmarit 90/2.8 with removable lens head can be used both as a conventional lens, and as well with Visoflex? Any, or maybe even all three of these can be had for less than the cost of some of the Leica mentioned!

I have and use a circa 1969 generation Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 pre-AI, but only on the SL or the appropriate Nikon body. It's a rather large and heavy lens, makes the Leica M somewhat unbalanced in use. It has a distinctive rendering quality ... loved it back in 1969-1970 when I had use of my uncle's and sought out another one when I acquired another Nikon F body some years ago. It and the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 are the two lenses I use on that body... :)

I use a 'Lux 35 (v2, circa 1972) and a new Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 as my standard M kit these days. I don't find the 75 either too sharp or soft ... it's just right IMO, and balances against either a 35 or 50 mm lens beautifully. When I want a little more reach, the very compact M-Rokkor 90mm f/4 (identical to the Elmer-C 90mm f/4 but for the bezel and the filter mount) is my favorite: beautiful imaging, very small yet very nicely made. Mine is an early production example, made in Wetzlar before Leica discontinued the CL. (Later ones were made in Japan by Minolta.)

For a two lenses kit i would say 35+75 but for 3 lenses including a 50 i would say 35+50+90 preferably due to the proximity of 50 & 75. 

This took me two years to really understand. My advise would be to plan out your "final" kit and build that, otherwise the tendency is to comprise. i do agree with a two lens kit you would want the 75, with a 3 lens kit you'll likely want the 90. I'm building  a 4 lens kit:  21, 35, 75, 135 , currently i have the 35 & 75' crons and building out   - the truth is i've learned something else, 35 & 75 is light and covers alot of territory (based on the same comments above). Based on your original question i'd go 75.  

35 and 75 is a great combination for M bodies.

Most 75's are as stated above, high enough resolution wise to be cropped to a 90mm format without serious loss of resolution.

The 75 lenses are generally easier to focus accurately than the 90's.

For general travel photography a 35/75 combo works really well, and opens up the possibility of adding a 24 or 21 for interior shots if required.

(my bolding)

The same could equally be said of a 50mm lens. A 50mm can easily be cropped to a 75mm, and is easier to focus than a 75mm.

So do you get a 75mm lens when you really want a 90mm, or a 50mm instead of a 75mm? Or get a 90mm lens, which can be cropped down to a 135mm lens and is easier to focus than a 135mm  :D . My 2c is to get a 75mm if you want to photograph closer in, or a 90mm for farther away.

Come now, lct. You have a fixed length lens mounted, you can't get closer. What is there to do but compose with cropping in mind? Has this never happened to you?

I take another lens then or i use a close focus adapter. Kind of a philosophy perhaps but more modestly it is just my way of taking photos. YMMV again.

• Like 1

I take another lens then or i use a close focus adapter. Kind of a philosophy perhaps but more modestly it is just my way of taking photos. YMMV again.

And if you want to take a photograph of - say - a building across a river?

And if you want to take a photograph of - say - a building across a river?

I take another lens then. What i like is composing in the first place. If i cannot do it with my camera i forget the building. Too bad for the latter but it is just my modest way of taking photos B). I don't mean this for my pro needs of course but i don't grow younger so i take my legal photos less and less myself now.

• Like 1

My M travel kit is a 35 and 90 and there's not much that I can't cover with that for general photography.

The 75 might be easier in use though as the frame lines for the 90 are quite small, and it's not much to crop down to 90mm equivalent for more reach.

Basically either pair will be great it's just down to personal preference and budget.

• Like 1

Long term plan is to build a 2 lens leica kit. Then all the other lenses i might want or need (focal length) was planning to just get an adaptor and use other brands.

I'll probably use the 75/90 for solo yoga studio photos or yoga photos outside. (planning to maybe make a series just for fun) for the partner yoga or group shots i think i can manage with my 35mm.

really new to leica and i think one of the reasons for me trying to get another lens is GAS

• Like 1