Ireland.

JonPB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've enjoyed so many photos from others here that I thought I'd share a few of my own, from my trip to Ireland. This is my first time venturing beyond my home continent, and I'm delighted by what I've found and experienced so far, the traveling itself aside. I hope my growing admiration for this island shows through.

21/2.8 Asph, MM--

L1361942-L.jpg

L1361955-L.jpg

L1361960-L.jpg

L1362015-L.jpg

35/1.4 FLE, MM--

L1361974-L.jpg

L1361964-L.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

• Like 7

Well, nice photos indeed, but the Ireland I discovered - long ago - was much more "greeny". And its people were definitely worth images, next to pleasant personal contact.

• Like 1

Michael and stuny -- thank you for the kind words.

Pecole -- thank you, too, and those are certainly fair comments. Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Urban Ireland" as I haven't spent much time outside of Belfast and Dublin, and haven't figured out how to spend time hiking more rural hills without renting a car, which I'm loathe to do. As for the people, they certainly have been a delight to be around, but I've never felt much story in photographing folks, whether family, friends, or fellows on the street. I find the vacancy of individual people to make a stronger impression of the collective presence of humanity, but then I'm also powerfully introverted so that might just be rationalized shyness. :-)

A few more:

L1362045-L.jpg

L1362023-L.jpg

(The last photo is the ceiling of the Old Library at Trinity College, above the Book of Kells exhibit.)

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by JonPB
  • Like 4

Pecole -- thank you, too, and those are certainly fair comments. Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Urban Ireland" as I haven't spent much time outside of Belfast and Dublin, and haven't figured out how to spend time hiking more rural hills without renting a car, which I'm loathe to do. As for the people, they certainly have been a delight to be around, but I've never felt much story in photographing folks, whether family, friends, or fellows on the street. I find the vacancy of individual people to make a stronger impression of the collective presence of humanity, but then I'm also powerfully introverted so that might just be rationalized shyness. :-)

A few more:

L1362045-L.jpg

L1362023-L.jpg

(The last photo is the ceiling of the Old Library at Trinity College, above the Book of Kells exhibit.)

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks for commenting, Jon, and be sure I appreciate your arguments. My "spot" reaction was mainly due to the general "darkness" of your images - perhaps also to the antipathy I developed for bad weather (even if I spent three quarters of my life in Belgium...) since we are living in sunny South Portugal. Now, I very much like your new images, especially the first one. And they convince me that true photography is B&W..

Cordially (and Leically) yours

Pierre

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cheers,

Jon

Again, very nice. I remember with some continued emotion seeing the Book of Kells in the old library at Trinity. Now many years ago. I remember a similar feeling at the library of Trinity College, Cambridge, where there is lying open Newton's personal copy of his Principia Mathematica.

Pierre -- I suppose I generally prefer darker images, even of light subjects, although part of this here might be due to preparing these images with my new travel laptop, with no idea of how they translate onto other screens. Might be overbright for that reason alone. I'm very much so looking forward to refining and printing these images. I'll also keep my "dark" habit in mind and look for high-key scenes and processing opportunities. :-)

Michael -- Cambridge is an interesting place, although I've never looked to see which libraries are open to the public there ... the last time I visited there was, I believe, game 2 of the 2007 world series, so my attention was focused elsewhere. So much of the world left to see, even in places I've already been!

More from Dublin with 21/2.8 Asph and M9M:

L1362140%201-L.jpg

L1362110-L.jpg

L1362074-L.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

• Like 4

I like your Ireland images. While green is the color that comes to mind when I think about that beautiful country, often black and white with dark and gloomy skies best captures a specific mood. You did that. Hope to see more images.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of black and white photos myself. And I really enjoyed looking through your photos from Ireland.

And Ireland in Black and white is just a great idea. One can be curious and discover ambience, local culture  etc without the stereotypical  green Ireland. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, but it's different and exciting :)

• Like 1