"Leica M10 - Expect Simplicity" (overgaard.dk)

Overgaard

If the video quality really was all that good and had the EVF been top-of-the-range available at the time, maybe, but the EVF was already one generation-old and has only gotten longer in the tooth. I was using a VF-2 before the M240 ever hit the market on an Olympus Pen E-P3. The timing of the thing just stunk with the newer, much improved VF-4 coming out about the same time, but too late for Leica to use it instead of the VF-2.

Jack of many things, but master of something fewer will be the real down-the-road description of the M240.

Edited by Gregm61

Thorsten, I love & enjouy reading Your pages very much!

But as a (2x)M9-P & MM owner:

What might bring Leica-future I don't have yet. For me & many others the hunt is over, there is no need for a M-callitwhatyouwant.

18MB sensor is enough, even if the next smartphone will have trillions of pixels.

Of course we all hope that Leicas will have economic success, but except lenses I personally have all I need.

Thomas

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having been using the SL for over a year now, I think it has the near prefect number of buttons, so that once you have customised them to your taste, you rarely need to delve into a menu other than the single function revealed by a button press, short or long. If the spy photos of the M10 are correct (and they may well just be someones Photoshop pastiche), it only shows 3 buttons on the back plus an ISO dial. To me that will mean that you have to delve into the layered menu system far more, in regular day to day use. To my way of thinking, nothing interrupts the flow of photography more than having to delve into the layers of a menu system. In my case, it usually means donning a pair of reading glasses (after cataract and laser surgery, my distance vision is near perfect) and that is even if I have a pair with me. Having a lot of buttons and rollers, especially the SL and S customisable type, does mean that the learning curve of using the camera is steeper, but to me that is all part of the experience. I also don't think there was a whole lot wrong with the button/roller layout of the M240, although I now prefer the SL. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Thorsten Overgaard's disparaging statement about the electronic Visoflex II and statement to the effect that the most exciting question for those looking forward to the Leica M10 is how the traditional rangefinder and electronic viewfinder may be combined leads me to believe that he has insider knowledge that an electronic viewfinder overlay is incorporated in the viewfinder of the Leica M10 when in live view mode, in which case two lights would be required on the back of the Leica M10. The lower light to indicate buffering and formatting in progress, and the upper light for indicating focus confirmation. This is all fine and good, if and only if the new Leica M10 has an electronic first curtain for response sake.

• Like 1

Thorsten Overgaard's disparaging statement about the electronic Visoflex II and statement to the effect that the most exciting question for those looking forward to the Leica M10 is how the traditional rangefinder and electronic viewfinder may be combined leads me to believe that he has insider knowledge that an electronic viewfinder overlay is incorporated in the viewfinder of the Leica M10 when in live view mode, in which case two lights would be required on the back of the Leica M10. The lower light to indicate buffering and formatting in progress, and the upper light for indicating focus confirmation. This is all fine and good, if and only if the new Leica M10 has an electronic first curtain for response sake.

Why could not the M10 use focus peaking coloured outlines like the M240 does in live view? 

Why could not the M10 use focus peaking coloured outlines like the M240 does in live view? 

It would not be an EVF so no focus peaking in the window finder. The window finder would allow for focus confirmation by use of superimposed cross-hairs in the window finder that can be moved around the window finder using the up and down, left and right pad with the focus confirmation light coming on whenever whatever is in the cross hairs is in focus using contrast detection auto focus. The focus peaking could be a feature on the back screen of the camera when in live view as a third approach to focusing the Leica M10 that would be an easy feature to include as it is also contrast detect dependent.

I've updated my "The Worlds (Possibly) Longest Camera Review" with a new chapter:

"Leica M10 - Expect Simplicity"

I enjoyed reading the page and watching the M9 review video again. I'll never buy another M9 ... the M typ 240 and subsequent M models cleaned up too many of the M9's issues with responsiveness and simply work better. But the M9 was the watershed camera that brought the Leica M to digital in its proper format, fueled a lot of Leica's rebuilding through its profitable sale, and deserves a positive place in the history book. 

For the M, I think Leica is on the right track with the M-D typ 262. I really, honestly, seriously don't want more features piled into the M ... I want it to be an M: utterly simple, direct, and to the point. Other cameras in Leica's portfolio do the modern "every feature I might ever need" thing with more proficiency. For the M, minimize the options, the controls, the features; make it disappear in the hand the way an M4 did and allow me to see through it, not look at it, so I can concentrate on my subject matter without distraction. 

For the M10, or whatever they end up calling it officially, all I might want over the M-D is to make the body a little slimmer and perhaps make the exposure compensation a little simpler to set without having to put my eye to the viewfinder. I don't need more features, more options, or more buttons; don't want EVFs or video capture. I want a simple and easy to get along with M that matches the quiet simplicity of my M4-2. That's what I have an M for, not to be my 'jack of all trades' paragon of versatility.

For all the other things, I have the SL ... which already does them all extremely well, and really only needs a couple more lenses in its portfolio to be the total, complete system that it ought to be. I know the lenses are on the way, and I love how well it works with all the M, R, and S lenses as well. That's the design wave for the future, beyond the M. 

• Like 9

The Leica M 240 will, in a few years - in the bright and clear retrospective light we will see the world in then - be remembered as a well-made digital rangefinder that did the job but perhaps missedsome of the soul and simplicity.

I found this to be curious, given the simplicity of the M240 compared to the majority of digital cameras on the market.

Given the choice to skip the M 10 model and jump to Leica M 11, or skip the Leica M 240 - step over it as if it never really happened - and go to Leica M10 seems the decision that was made. With this, Leica M-D 10, Leica MM 10 and Leica M-P 10 are all in the future.

Now it starts to get interesting...

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

I enjoyed reading the page and watching the M9 review video again. I'll never buy another M9 ... the M typ 240 and subsequent M models cleaned up too many of the M9's issues with responsiveness and simply work better. But the M9 was the watershed camera that brought the Leica M to digital in its proper format, fueled a lot of Leica's rebuilding through its profitable sale, and deserves a positive place in the history book. 

For the M, I think Leica is on the right track with the M-D typ 262. I really, honestly, seriously don't want more features piled into the M ... I want it to be an M: utterly simple, direct, and to the point. Other cameras in Leica's portfolio do the modern "every feature I might ever need" thing with more proficiency. For the M, minimize the options, the controls, the features; make it disappear in the hand the way an M4 did and allow me to see through it, not look at it, so I can concentrate on my subject matter without distraction. 

For the M10, or whatever they end up calling it officially, all I might want over the M-D is to make the body a little slimmer and perhaps make the exposure compensation a little simpler to set without having to put my eye to the viewfinder. I don't need more features, more options, or more buttons; don't want EVFs or video capture. I want a simple and easy to get along with M that matches the quiet simplicity of my M4-2. That's what I have an M for, not to be my 'jack of all trades' paragon of versatility.

For all the other things, I have the SL ... which already does them all extremely well, and really only needs a couple more lenses in its portfolio to be the total, complete system that it ought to be. I know the lenses are on the way, and I love how well it works with all the M, R, and S lenses as well. That's the design wave for the future, beyond the M. 

I think that you are on the right track here. The next M will be available as a stand alone OVF RF camera for purists or with an add on EVF for those who want to use one for various reasons, long telephotos, non RF lenses via an adaptor, ultra-wide lenses without the need for an additional VF or older lenses with poor or no RF coupling, just to mention a few. Even though the Fuji X-Pro 2 is a lovely camera and I enjoy using mine, the OVF side does not match Leica's. A hybrid VF on the M10 with an OVF of the usual Leica standard would certainly add a considerable amount (probably something in four figures) to the purchase price of the M10. We will know next Thursday how the add on EVF (from the TL) will function on the M10. 

William

@LaVidaLeica has made a - how can I put it - rather 'pointed' tweet this afternoon:-

to me, that seems a thoughtless and unkind expression. By saying that, LaVidaLeica demonstrates that he/she has no experience whatever in manufacturing hardware and software of any kind. 

• Like 5

I think that you are on the right track here. The next M will be available as a stand alone OVF RF camera for purists or with an add on EVF for those who want to use one for various reasons, long telephotos, non RF lenses via an adaptor, ultra-wide lenses without the need for an additional VF or older lenses with poor or no RF coupling, just to mention a few. Even though the Fuji X-Pro 2 is a lovely camera and I enjoy using mine, the OVF side does not match Leica's. A hybrid VF on the M10 with an OVF of the usual Leica standard would certainly add a considerable amount (probably something in four figures) to the purchase price of the M10. We will know next Thursday how the add on EVF (from the TL) will function on the M10. 

William

Hmm. I'm not a purist, I just don't want all the other stuff in my M.

It's a little ironic (and perplexing) that you say, "I think you are on the right track here. ..." and then go on to talk about all the other stuff that I don't want as if that's part of what I was 'on the right track' about.  :unsure:

• Like 1

Hmm. I'm not a purist, I just don't want all the other stuff in my M.

It's a little ironic (and perplexing) that you say, "I think you are on the right track here. ..." and then go on to talk about all the other stuff that I don't want as if that's part of what I was 'on the right track' about.  :unsure:

But you will have the choice not to have the other stuff which other people want. That much should be obvious. I hope I was not being too subtle!

William

• Like 1