M-P Shooting in B/W Downloading in colour?

When you take your photo, although you've set it to shoot B+W, the camera is actually shooting in full colour but is presenting you with an in-camera generated B+W Jpeg on the screen. If you're only saving DNG files, the software your downloading with has no idea you want to see it in B+W. Try saving your images in both Jpeg and DNG.

Pete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you take your photo, although you've set it to shoot B+W, the camera is actually shooting in full colour but is presenting you with an in-camera generated B+W Jpeg on the screen. If you're only saving DNG files, the software your downloading with has no idea you want to see it in B+W. Try saving your images in both Jpeg and DNG.

Pete

Got it, thanks again. PS I like your photo's.

• Like 1

As you say you are shooting in b&w, you will be shooting raw + jpg.  Maybe your software is treating the two file types as duplicates and only downloading one.  I'm not familiar with Apple Photos but perhaps there is a setting similar to the one in LR - Preferences/General/Import Options - "Treat jpg files next to raw files as separate photos".

• Like 1

You can actually shoot dng only and set to b&w. I don't recommend switching to jpg to readily get b&w in Photos. It's better to convert from dng. The in-camera jpg is badly processed, with much of the dark tones going fully black. Better to convert (again) in Photos. Maybe you can apply b&w settings on import, such as is possible in Capture One.

Edited by harmen
  • Like 1

You can actually shoot dng only and set to b&w. I don't recommend switching to jpg to readily get b&w in Photos. It's better to convert from dng. The in-camera jpg is badly processed, with much of the dark tones going fully black. Better to convert (again) in Photos. Maybe you can apply b&w settings on import, such as is possible in Capture One.

Sounds good, thank you.

I see, so if I want to shoot b/w set to jpeg and colour set back to raw. Thank you.

No, set to DNG + JPG fine. It makes no sense to throw away data that you will need when you have learned to process your images better than the in-camera JPG. -Which shouldn't take too much effort.-

Get away from Photos - it really does not do the file from your camera justice. I would get Photoshop Elements in your position.

• Like 3

No, set to DNG + JPG fine. It makes no sense to throw away data that you will need when you have learned to process your images better than the in-camera JPG. -Which shouldn't take too much effort.-

Get away from Photos - it really does not do the file from your camera justice. I would get Photoshop Elements in your position.

Thank you for that information. I'll get photoshop ordered.

Thank you for that information. I'll get photoshop ordered.

There are two entirely different products with quite similar names: "Photoshop Elements" is not the same as "Photoshop". The recommendation was for "Photoshop Elements".

Just for options, a lot of us use Lightroom. Some use Capture One. I don't recomend Photoshop elements. With an M, use post processing that matches the level of the camera. You will get more out of it

Elements is, IMO, a good starting point when one embarks on the postprocessing Odyssey. It has the same level of underlying software as full Photoshop , but with simplified controls and interface.  It even offers a good layers functionality. Like Lightroom it is Photoshop tailored for photography, just a different, more PS-like interface. So there is no question of the program "not matching the quality of the camera"

Elements is, IMO, a good starting point when one embarks on the postprocessing Odyssey. It has the same level of underlying software as full Photoshop , but with simplified controls and interface.  It even offers a good layers functionality. Like Lightroom it is Photoshop tailored for photography, just a different, more PS-like interface. So there is no question of the program "not matching the quality of the camera"

Very sound advice. I complete agree for a new comer to post Adobe Elements is a great choice and an easy jump to LR