Leica T cold weather mod

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Likely not everyone's cuppa but in this bitterly cold weather, a strip of Wilkinsons self adhesive black velour applied to my T offers a comfortable, warm grip; it will peel off easily but I'll probably leave it on for the improved grip. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Useful mod. but at your own risk if you decide to try it. 

Best wishes

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 5

Thanks for the idea! Looks ugly but if it does the job.

By the way I recently used the T in -15 C and the camera worked quite well. I did wear gloves though or only put off my gloves for short moments.

The leather protector from Leica would also be an option. But you have to screw it off for changing the battery.

• Like 1

By the way I recently used the T in -15 C and the camera worked quite well. I did wear gloves though or only put off my gloves for short moments.

Good luck changing spot focus with gloves!

I like it, actually prefer it to the bare metal look, but knowing that velour I don't think it will be long before it looks tatty.

What about a more hardwearing material? 

Michael I have some leather but the advantage of self-adhesive velour is its thinness. If I used leather i'd have to scrape the edges to attain that edge thinness and then glue it on the body or apply double sided tape. The velour might, or might not last … but it's so easy to replace if becomes too tatty. It's the velour's functional / tactile properties which appeal … warmth and grippiness … unlike smother colder leather. Not concerned what it looks like as long as it functions and feels better than bare metal - especially in cold weather. I'm quite happy with the appearance and when holding the camera my hand and fingers cover and grip the velour; three fingertips of my right hand feel comfortable and secure when pressed onto the velour. I can think of other 'tactile' applications for the velour. 

Cheers

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The leather protector from Leica would also be an option. But you have to screw it off for changing the battery.

Several days back, after a dinner in restaurant, at 8 PM, about, I had decided to make some photographs at Krakow's Main Market. It was minus 17 C, about. I worked 15 minutes, about - Leica T works fine, but when I came back home, I'd found that few photos were out of focus. those were night photographs and I don't know does temperature had influence on it. I use firmware 1.6. 

Good luck changing spot focus with gloves!

I dont chnage focus point position much at all with the T, not compfortable  for me even without gloves. I use face detection, or focus recompose technique, or fieldfocus for landscape.

I find moving the focus point more important when one shoots in C-AF, with the SL for example. The T is too slow in CAF anyways.

Several days back, after a dinner in restaurant, at 8 PM, about, I had decided to make some photographs at Krakow's Main Market. It was minus 17 C, about. I worked 15 minutes, about - Leica T works fine, but when I came back home, I'd found that few photos were out of focus. those were night photographs and I don't know does temperature had influence on it. I use firmware 1.6. 

Which lens did you use?

The TL body protector now has a flap on the bottom that exposes the battery door. I think the T and TL bodies are the same or close enough that it will fit the T. I have an Arte d'Mano leather 1/2 case on my T. It is held on by a tripod plate with a 1/2 ring screw that hold the case very snugly. I can remove the case in under 15 seconds, so the absence of access to the battery is really not an issue for me. The folding 1/2 ring screw was purchased on Amazon and has extra thread length to accommodate the thickness of the leather 1/2 case.

See image.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!