Street and Wildlife Photography with SL, possibilities, alternatives

steppenw0lf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I make no attempt to "hide" cameras, for sure.  No remote release / iPhone control / etc trick shots or any of that.

Been shooting street in NYC for over a decade, been yelled at less than 5 times.

Maybe my body movements changed because of the heft/ergonomics of the SL, I don't know.

Or the size of the camera made the guy think I was "zooming" in on him, who knows.

Guy was probably 30 feet away.  There were probably 5 other people in the frame or passing through it.  Wide shot.

Was one of those warm-up shots as I leave the house to get in the mood / check everything is working.

That is - a terrible shot I immediately planned to delete.

There were no kids in frame, I generally avoid that completely, not worth the bother these days.

Sounds good.

I suspect the fact that someone called out on you was either entirely random or might have been in some way connected with you using a new-to-you, somewhat bulky camera. A lens as long and large as the SL24-90 (presuming that's what you were using) often does look as if it's singling a particular subject out, even if you're on a wide setting. The converse is true as well: a short compact lens will often not look like its pointed at a particular subject even when it is. It's purely a perception game.

It shouldn't pose a huge problem one way or another. I have to say: the more I use the SL+SL24-90, the more accustomed to it I become and the less its size and weight get in my way. Its performance is a boon: there are few other zoom lenses in the class that I find even acceptable. :)