What's this

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's this and what is it for. I've been offered it and told it will help with landscape photography........ no idea what it is.

??5c18f9bd59336969743862b4b0445b82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Hasselblad bellows with tilt-shift incorporated...just a quick guess. 

Probably not useful for landscape work, but maybe good for perspective corrections with the right set-up. Especially for studio, architecture imaging, and close-up macro stuff.

all best..

Edited by david strachan

For anyone interested, here is the HTS on the S. With a hasselblad 24mm it becomes a 36mm tilt shift and it works with all their lenses with a 1.5x mag factor.

I've read on several accounts it works quite well.

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00bmWa?start=20

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paul J

Forget the little bellows.  Take a course in large format, view camera photography (e.g., 4x5....that's 4 inch by 5 inch negatives...or 8x10).  Once you use that for landscape work, you'll be off the Leica forums and on to the LF forums.  And benefits of tilting and shifting will become clear.  Or you'll be yelling at Leica, like many others here, for a wide angle T/S lens for your S.

Jeff

• Like 1

Forget the little bellows.  Take a course in large format, view camera photography (e.g., 4x5....that's 4 inch by 5 inch negatives...or 8x10).  Once you use that for landscape work, you'll be off the Leica forums and on to the LF forums.  And benefits of tilting and shifting will become clear.  Or you'll be yelling at Leica, like many others here, for a wide angle T/S lens for your S.

Jeff

Yes - The Flexbody was an attempt at bringing T/S capability to the Hasselblad V Series, and used cropping to 'effectively increase' the image circle of their lenses. The Arcbody was a similar set-up, but used Rodenstock LF lenses. As Jeff says, a view camera is generally a more effective path, or a dedicated T/S lens.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yes - The Flexbody was an attempt at bringing T/S capability to the Hasselblad V Series, and used cropping to 'effectively increase' the image circle of their lenses. The Arcbody was a similar set-up, but used Rodenstock LF lenses. As Jeff says, a view camera is generally a more effective path, or a dedicated T/S lens.

Eoin

What is a view camera?

Jeff I would be interested in learning more about Large Format fhotography especially joining a workshop.............any info??

Neil

Jeff I would be interested in learning more about Large Format fhotography especially joining a workshop.............any info??

Well, Ansel's dead, but there are loads of followers, and still people using LF gear.  You'll just have to check around.  The good news is that they're often in nice locations for landscape photography.

There are a number of forums for you to invade, err join....   

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/

And, as with any photo topic, there are always books and other resources....  http://www.largeformatphotography.info

There are still folks here using LF gear.....so you could start a bar thread.

There's nothing like looking at a big ground glass to see the world.....and you get to see it upside down and reversed.   :)   Seriously, it's a great compositional aid....but a much more contemplative means of photography.....one needs discipline and patience (and a big bag/tripod).   :o

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Neil, I mentioned this in some prior posts, but I really think you would benefit from some research (workshop, books, videos, or whatever) into the history of photography.  This came up specifically when discussing Leica photographers, e.g., Cartier-Bresson, and the benefits from understanding Leica/Leitz's rich history (including non-photographic history like the Freedom Train).  Likewise, the same benefits can accrue from taking a larger historical perspective.  

I think it would create a rich context from which you can draw knowledge, inspiration as well as a lot of technical information that can better inform your vision/goals.  Gear is gear, but there's a lot wonderful background to it all.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Neil,

While large format photography is very rewarding, you should be aware that it takes a very patient and deliberate temperament. Otherwise, it will be extremely, and I mean extremely, frustrating. If you ever tried playing a string instrument, it is similar. I play cello and have done my main photographic work with view cameras. Both are very gratifying to me.

With large format photography, the equipment is heavy. Each shot takes quite a lot of time to set up. If you do not take the time and care, it is easy to make a mistake. Each mistake is costly in time and film is expensive. Each sheet of black and white film costs about 1 euro. To get to the point where you do not make mistakes, it takes a lot of practice. Then there is the film development. If you want complete control of the image, you need to develop the film yourself. And that means lots of testing and calibration in order to know what your end result will be when you press the shutter.

I am not trying to dissuade you from trying it; you should know what you are getting into.

To compare, carrying the S with three lenses is a lot less weight than a view camera with 3 lenses and film holders. Each film holder contains two shots. I usually carry about 10 or 12 film holders (100 and 400 iso) for a day in the mountains or the city. I was so pleased with the image quality of the S that I have not used a view camera in a year. Yes, I have given up tilt and swing but I have also gained some other attributes.

A tilt-shift lens for the S would be wonderful, but it will not happen. The alternative is a tech camera.

Jesse

Edited by djmay
  • Like 1

While large format photography is very rewarding, you should be aware that it takes a very patient and deliberate temperament. Otherwise, it will be extremely, and I mean extremely, frustrating. If you ever tried playing a string instrument, it is similar. I play cello and have done my main photographic work with view cameras. Both are very gratifying to me.

Jesse

That's a fascinating view. Thanks for that.

My two-bits if I may. Most of today's large format photographers do not use a lot of perspective controls. So be it. More power to those that do.

Me, I rarely use anything but some rise. Very easy. I recommend new LF photographers to take a simple route and start photographing their favorite subjects with the very simplest LF cameras with no concern for perspective controls. I state that because they are likely going to be shaken to their soul by the amazing fidelity of a large format negative used as they might other cameras. Seriously, when I stumbled into LF I was riveted to the enlarger and developing trays, stunned by the gradation, tones I could produce.

(If you wish to read the suggestions of those who have mastered and use perspective control go to the LF info forum.)

Now, for the radical suggestions. Simple LF includes old press cameras. You already know what they are. If you get fussy (and I do), then there are hundreds of lenses from soft to acute sharpness to use. And cheap. No kidding.

A favorite, almost underworld 4x5 rigid (no perspective control) camera is the Printex. It looks like a nasty cast lump, but it has the virtues of out-of-the-box alignment, no fabric bellows (steel instead), infra-red proofing, and in some models rangefinder focusing that works. Printex. I own more than I can recall, having started buying them in suburban Chicago dirt cheap in the early Seventies.

Other stone simple 4x5" ... I have no respect for the later Chinese or other Asian things like the Travelwide and clones. (Imagine Chinese clones cloning other Chinese clones.) No nationalism intended.

Then there are my home built, simple LF cameras which deserve no attention because they are all one-off. :) Life is too short not to be honest.

I would post more, including my stuff but it would break the bounds of this wonderful Leica oriented site.

Pax

Pico

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

That's a fascinating view. Thanks for that.

My two-bits if I may. Most of today's large format photographers do not use a lot of perspective controls. So be it. More power to those that do.

Me, I rarely use anything but some rise. Very easy. I recommend new LF photographers to take a simple route and start photographing their favorite subjects with the very simplest LF cameras with no concern for perspective controls. I state that because they are likely going to be shaken to their soul by the amazing fidelity of a large format negative used as they might other cameras. Seriously, when I stumbled into LF I was riveted to the enlarger and developing trays, stunned by the gradation, tones I could produce.

(If you wish to read the suggestions of those who have mastered and use perspective control go to the LF info forum.)

Now, for the radical suggestions. Simple LF includes old press cameras. You already know what they are. If you get fussy (and I do), then there are hundreds of lenses from soft to acute sharpness to use. And cheap. No kidding.

A favorite, almost underworld 4x5 rigid (no perspective control) camera is the Printex. It looks like a nasty cast lump, but it has the virtues of out-of-the-box alignment, no fabric bellows (steel instead), infra-red proofing, and in some models rangefinder focusing that works. Printex. I own more than I can recall, having started buying them in suburban Chicago dirt cheap in the early Seventies.

Other stone simple 4x5" ... I have no respect for the later Chinese or other Asian things like the Travelwide and clones. (Imagine Chinese clones cloning other Chinese clones.) No nationalism intended.

Then there are my home built, simple LF cameras which deserve no attention because they are all one-off. :) Life is too short not to be honest.

I would post more, including my stuff but it would break the bounds of this wonderful Leica oriented site.

Pax

Pico

I agree, it is possible to, and advisable, to start without movements. I also have a Fotoman 45PS with 90mm lens. No movements and can be used as a point and shoot. I bought it for travel, but I missed movements.

I did not even mention the task of loading film holders. I traveled with a "tent" for that.

Jesse

• Like 1

A tilt-shift lens for the S would be wonderful, but it will not happen. The alternative is a tech camera.

You mean other than the one that already exists?  https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Leica-S-Lenses/TS-APO-Elmar-S-120MM-f-5.6-ASPH

The 30 T/S was supposed to arrive years ago, but seems it won't come to fruition.

Jeff