Thanks for the posts (...and message to Leica?)

orc999

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was considering buying a Leica S.

After having a look at this forum I will probably not do it.

There are some threads writing "it's not all that bad", or "it gets fixed by Leica for free".

However to many users report of having some lenses broken.

That can be a very frustrating moment, and no I don't want to carry around 2 complete systems(...in this price class)

Digloyd Leica guide also reportet those lens and AF issues. I was assuming he exagerates, but so many posts about failures can't be by accident.

There can always go something wrong with equipment. What matters is how the manufacturer handles the customer in such a case. There are just too many failures for this price tag and Leica solutions do not look like matching their price tag.

Edited by orc999

funny enough I went to the official Leica store today, tried s006 and s007. with 2 lenses. the 70mm AF went coucou after a few shots.

I asked the sales person what's wrong with it or if there is some wrong setting and he said it's fine.

The focus did not lock when half pressing the shutter and recompose.

Sales guy said it would, but I can even hear the AF keep going when he recomposed.

So either he had no idea about some needed setting(it was in Af-s) or the lens had a problem.

I will stay with the SL and Q for now.

funny enough I went to the official Leica store today, tried s006 and s007. with 2 lenses. the 70mm AF went coucou after a few shots.

I asked the sales person what's wrong with it or if there is some wrong setting and he said it's fine.

Sales guy said it would, but I can even hear the AF keep going when he recomposed.

So either he had no idea about some needed setting(it was in Af-s) or the lens had a problem.

I think the bashing of the S is getting to a level where it is almost ridiculous. So, you walk in to a store, pick up a 16 k pro camera, try a few shots, it does not work the way you hoped and you conclude it is shit? Well, if you want a point'n shoot, buy a point'shoot!

I wasn't there, so it may have been broken, but more probably: Some form of user error, for example: If the S007 is set for preview, the shutter must be half-pressed before you can change settings, if preview is still active right after the shot. It takes a little time to get used to, but of course it helps if you read the manual, or of course if the dealer has minimum knowledge and attention to the custromer.

Sorry for your experience, but nice to hear you are still curious about the S system. It its great !

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1

Sounds like a bad case of GAS rather than an actual need so feel happy about the money you saved and put it to some other use instead.

before you bash the users and protect the suppliers who deliver the products you should maybe have:

- had a look a the threads in this forum, there are several users reporting more then one lens with issues alone in their own set

- read what I wrote, it was an official Leica store with Leica employees and they were not able to set the camera correctly

In my post I'm willing to take the user error on me, but Leica employees should be able to do it properly, no?

"either he had no idea about some needed setting(it was in Af-s) or the lens had a problem."

Besides focus(half press shutter) and recompose should not really be rocket science to be used properly nor should it be reserved to point and shoot(as you suggested). 

It's true I do not have a proper use case for a system in this price category, that is prone to errors at such a high rate. 

Not necessarily GAS.

Your mileage may vary and if so I'm very happy for you.

Out of question the image quality is certainly good. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps someone with 15,167 posts has read the threads you're referring to and maybe wrote a few of them.... 

You're new to the S since you don't even own one and relatively new to this forum (as I am), maybe you should be less decisive in your conclusion and use the forum to seek advise as well as don't take responses personally. 

Yes, the AF issues have been a big deal for many of us and that's why you will find a lot of complains on the forum, which is often used when there is a problem and someone is looking for a solution. Therefore in a forum you will find more complains and negative posts than positive. If I am happy with my S, I don't feel to need to post on the forum and brag about the camera, but if I have an issue I would not hesitate to reach out and ask for help. 

Anyway, the S is not a bad system and there are other systems that had other issues as well. Many of us had a positive experience with Leica fixing the lens (in my case 3 weeks turnaround from the US for free without warranty is not that terrible, although it could be better) and others had a nightmare, so it's patchy. The S has its own attributes and nuances, positive and negative and it may be a good fit for you depending what you're looking for in a camera, which is nothing else than a tool. I wont rush to quickly to a conclusion though. 

cheers. 

We all know these AF failures can happen any time anywhere. That it may have happened at an "official" Leica store is purely a matter of chance and is remarkable only to someone who thinks magically. I haven't found most salespeople at Leica's franchise stores, outside a select few, to be terribly knowledgeable about the S system.

Your anecdote contributes little and resembles idle venting (hence the association with GAS). It's fine. Pointing this out is not "bashing" you.

Edited by alan.y

before you bash the users and protect the suppliers who deliver the products you should maybe have:

- had a look a the threads in this forum, there are several users reporting more then one lens with issues alone in their own set

- read what I wrote, it was an official Leica store with Leica employees and they were not able to set the camera correctly

In my post I'm willing to take the user error on me, but Leica employees should be able to do it properly, no?

"either he had no idea about some needed setting(it was in Af-s) or the lens had a problem."

Besides focus(half press shutter) and recompose should not really be rocket science to be used properly nor should it be reserved to point and shoot(as you suggested). 

It's true I do not have a proper use case for a system in this price category, that is prone to errors at such a high rate. 

Not necessarily GAS.

Your mileage may vary and if so I'm very happy for you.

Out of question the image quality is certainly good. 

Yes, I can read. Beyond that, I have had the S system for 5 years, I have had S2, S006 and now S007, and 6 lenses. I have never had a problem with the camera bodies (but I have read the manual).

I have had my share of problems with the lenses and written about it in many threads. But for you it was necessary to start a new thread? How did you add value to the discussion?

You seem to be a Leica customer already, with the Q (so you already have a point'n shoot ;-) and the SL, why don't you go back to the store and tell them what level of service you expect? I am in a continuous dialogue with Leica  about the AF issue, I get some response, and I have some reason to believe a solution is coming up. The system deserves to survive.

BTW, did you read about the guy in the LuLa MF Forum who is now on his 3rd h6d100c body after being delivered 2 faulty ones? Well, he got good service, I admit that. But I have also had 2-3 week turnaround on my faulty lenses, thanks to a good relation to my dealer.

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 3