Sensor Scratch / Delamination / Dirt?

jruffolo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

I've just purchased a used S006. I've finally gotten around to spending some time with the camera, and took a few test shots tonight. Thus far, most of my shots have been shooting at apertures from wide open, until f/8 or so, with the 70 Summarit. Tonight I made a series of photos with the 30 Elmarit, using smaller apertures. When reviewing photos starting from ca. f/11 to minimum aperture, I have noticed a series of streaks across the left side of the image.

I put the camera into sensor cleaning mode and examined the sensor under a bright light, and found a series of three paralell streaks about 6mm or so long, two on the lower portion of the sensor, and one on the upper.

I come from an R8+DMR I've been using for the last ten years, so I'm used to wiping the sensor off with a cloth or pec pad. So, with my limited experience for this type of sensor, I'm wondering if anyone here has seen something like this before? The dots in the image appear similar to those resultant of the sensor corrosion / delamination issue on the CCD based M cameras, though I have not read of any such occurrences with S cameras. Is it possible this is residue from a wet cleaning with a smaller format sensor swab/brush? My fear is that the sensor / cover glass may be scratched...

I know the only way to tell for sure would be to send the camera in for inspection; I just thought that I would get some input here in the meantime.

I've attached some photos below for reference. The sample photo is a crop, taken at f/22.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

John

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jruffolo

Since the streaks are parallel they may be the residue of an earlier cleaning attempt. I suggest trying to clean it with Photographic Solutions' Eclipse solution and Sensor Swaps. Then you'll know if it's corrosion, which indeed does happen on the CCD S sensors. The cover glass of my S2 cracked on all four corners.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...