sample photos of m240 with the nikkor 55mm f2.8

tifh21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i recently got an m240 with 35mm summicron and im very happy with it. The only thing i want from it is closeup shots or macro so i was thinking of adapting this lens and then using live view. Anyone has any sample shots of this setup? The lens has pretty good reviews and all but i want to see sample shots specifically with the m240

• Like 1

It works well enough.  I've used it quite a bit.  But the Micro Nikkor has huge "throw"...good for critical focusing perhaps.

I'll find some pics and post them...I usually use for flower shots.

Without the PK tubes you get 1:2 macro.  Pretty close focusing.  A longer focal length macro would be my choice (if I had one).

Of course you can't use flash if you've got the EVF 2 in the hot shoe of the M240.

all best..

Edited by david strachan

Why not use 90 macro elmar-m with extension? Little costly but what a little gem. Also 90mm gives a comfortable distance for macro. Smaller FL gets too close to the subject.

I cut my eye balls with it's macro sharpness.

https://500px.com/photo/191666753/old-watch-macro-by-j-m

The el-cheapo micro-Nikkor above is already the King of macro Photography.

• Like 2

looking for a cheaper alternative. I have a macro set-up with my dslr and i just want something that can focus close on my leica (1:2) for those flower shots and stuff that you might see when you're walking around.

i figured a shorter macro will be smaller/lighter...

thank you for the replies and sample shots:)

The el-cheapo micro-Nikkor above is already the King of macro Photography.

Absolutely, the Micro-Nikkor 55 3.5 last version is just a fabulous lens.

The 55 2.8 had issues, especially horrible Bokeh.

Also owned the Leica-R 60 2.8, very nice lens but........a good copy of the 55 3.5 Micro-Nikkor is a must have.

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 1

havent found a 3.5 yet but the 2.8 copy offered to me seems clean with no issues. i can try it out maybe this weekend before deciding if i should buy it. thanks guys!:) any other cheap lens suggestions are welcome. planning on using it mainly for food and flowers when i go to Japan.for my usual photos im pretty happy with my 35mm

I think the shot with the Leica 60mm has subject movement

The heat came on and most likely started some movement on the hanging guitar

The Leica lens doesn't have to be better autonatically. That's just matrketing and make-believe.

The nikkor f3.5 is legendary.

Well, I have no experience with this lens therefore I can't comment on comparison but it is really cheap. There are very few hidden gems out there. Is it one of them?

Not w hidden gem. It's a well known gem just like a lot of othrr lenses out there.

I'm with Ned, the 3.5 micro-Nikkor is a well known gem, made for close range. I have one on my FE and it is great. The PK-13 extension tube gets you to 1:1 for a few extra $. I use the 3.5/55mm as more of a still life lens rather than photos of bugs and the like. A longer lens would be too long for that stuff.

The 2.8 was adjusted to be more or an all-round lens, and compromised close up performance for better performance at infinity. 

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

I'm with Ned, the 3.5 micro-Nikkor is a well known gem, made for close range. I have one on my FE and it is great. The PK-13 extension tube gets you to 1:1 for a few extra $. I use the 3.5/55mm as more of a still life lens rather than photos of bugs and the like. A longer lens would be too long for that stuff.

The 2.8 was adjusted to be more or an all-round lens, and compromised close up performance for better performance at infinity. 

Is the following lens the same?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Micro-NIKKOR-P-C-Auto-55mm-F3-5-Non-Ai-740752-/371825225369?hash=item569282ae99:g:L3UAAOSwxKtYB8rY

Not sure if the optics are the same (I believe they are), but my version is the AI. Check out the following pages if you haven't already:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/late70nikkor/micro/index.htm

Hopefully someone else will chime in about the versions, but we're probably steering a bit too far off discussing Leica M mount lenses :)

The Leica lens doesn't have to be better autonatically. That's just matrketing and make-believe.

The nikkor f3.5 is legendary.

I have both and have compared them very carefully.

• The Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (pre-AI) is a superb performer.
  • The Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 is the best macro lens in this focal length I've ever used. 

Whether the additional quality of the Leica lens matters to you or not is a matter for you to decide. My Micro-Nikkor (along with the rest of my Nikon gear) is up for sale. My Macro-Elmarit-R is one of my favorite lenses for the SL.

I've used both with the Leica M-P typ 240 as well, they work about the same on that body. 

BTW: The same goes for the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AI-S; it's a terrific performer and works beautifully on both M-P and SL. I doubt that it out-performs the APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8, however, but I don't have one of those. I do have the older Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4 in the bellows mount version, which is a perfect match to the Focusing Bellows-R and also a superb performer.

Finally was able to get one but it's the 2.8 version. Tried it with this Nikon cap and flashlight from my phone. (iso a bit high because it was dark in my room) resized but not sharpened or edited. I love it!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!