OIS on or off?

...that kinda like riding your bike with the training wheels on all the time. If you're not in a low light, long hand held exposure scenario....why? You will get more battery life using OIS when you need it.

Totally agree. That's the way I operate. Off most of the time. I use tripod whenever possible in low light.

I look at it this way based on use and what I've read:

>  It's has been clearly documented that you should not use OIS when using a tripod (unless the tripod is on an unstable or moving platform)

> This would indicate the better your technique and physical abilities are to hand hold your exposure, resembling the stability of a tripod, you would want to keep OIS off; unless you were on an unstable or moving platform.  

> This would further suggest that OIS would provide the most impact/benefit in scenarios where you are on the cusp of needing a tripod, but don't have one or the space does not support the requirement for one.  

Lastly, I'd also question the need for OIS with a 28mm lens.  I think OIS has been added to the Q more so for the videographer and less so for photographer.  

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

...that kinda like riding your bike with the training wheels on all the time.   If you're not in a low light, long hand held exposure scenario....why?  You will get more battery life using OIS when you need it.

yes, I still need training wheels (unlike experts like yourself).

I'm often moving in and out of dark areas repeatedly when shooting reportage type photos, and sometimes use shutter speeds at less than the Q's focal length even at ISO1600.

For example, inside a poorly lit house at dusk and then outside, or in an alleyway and then into bright sunshine. It's far more convenient for me to keep OIS switched on all the time.

I haven't noticed any image degradation whatsoever when I've tested OIS on/off but I definitely get blur if I'm shooting at 1/6th when OIS is off.

Edited by jvansmit
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

I was just looking for info about the OIS on my new Q3, and found this old thread. The Q3 manual says nothing about it affecting image quality:

"The less favorable the lighting conditions during shooting, the slower will be the required shutter speeds for correct exposure. Visual image stabilization is a great tool for preventing out-of-focus images due to blurring."

As others have said, I've had cameras from different manufacturers and none of them have ever suggested that OIS degraded image quality. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve seen advice that says it is better to turn off all such systems when the camera is mounted on a tripod as the OIS/IBIS can get confused and work in a way that gives a lower quality image. Personally I’ve never bothered and never had a price but then again my tripods aren’t the most stable so the camera is potentially moving enough that the stabilisation system can work effectively. 

Never heard/seen any problem with handheld photography. I think some people just don’t want anything that is different to the light going through a lens with fixed objectives to a fixed sensor. That’s fair enough but for me, I prefer a system that helps me take fewer blurry shots. YMMV

I have my OIS set for automatic activation for all scenarios bar a tripod one, where it is off. 

With degrading hand stability, I can see myself using OIS more except at the higher end shutter speeds. Any image degradation due to using OIS will be a lot less than the impact of my hand shakes

It should be remembered that the Q uses Optical Image Stabilisation. This should not compared to IBIS which moved the sensor as it is not the same technology at all.

The Q uses OIS and not the in-body IBIS.

No reason to have it at fast speeds , so maybe best for it to kick in at 1/60 as the setting?

Edited by JNK100
  • Thanks 1

When I had the SL (no IBIS) I put the 90-280 SL zoom on a tripod and forgot to switch off OIS. I watched the focus point in the EVF drift across the scene as if the tripod wasn't there. Whether or not it degrades the image, it certainly makes it difficult to focus and frame. I think IS systems need a bit of movement just to give them a frame of reference (that's not a technical analysis BTW).

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 7/21/2023 at 11:59 AM, kirkmc said:

I was just looking for info about the OIS on my new Q3, and found this old thread. The Q3 manual says nothing about it affecting image quality:

"The less favorable the lighting conditions during shooting, the slower will be the required shutter speeds for correct exposure. Visual image stabilization is a great tool for preventing out-of-focus images due to blurring."

As others have said, I've had cameras from different manufacturers and none of them have ever suggested that OIS degraded image quality. 

Out of focus images due to motion blur? Really? 

I was intrigued by the idea that OIS would cause softness and so I tested it. It most certainly does. I now disabled OIS on the Q3. I have never had OIS on my Fuji XPro 3 and so wont need it for the Q3 unless I am attempting some very slow shutter which I would be on a tripod at that point. my Q3 normally sits around 1/50 as it slowest shutter.

4 hours ago, AussieQ said:

I was intrigued by the idea that OIS would cause softness and so I tested it. It most certainly does. I now disabled OIS on the Q3. I have never had OIS on my Fuji XPro 3 and so wont need it for the Q3 unless I am attempting some very slow shutter which I would be on a tripod at that point. my Q3 normally sits around 1/50 as it slowest shutter.

Can you share the tests or their parameters? What shutter speed did you use, and what kind of image degradation did you see?

AFAIK, you are the first owner to report IQ degradation with OIS.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:42 PM, JNK100 said:

It should be remembered that the Q uses Optical Image Stabilisation. This should not compared to IBIS which moved the sensor as it is not the same technology at all.

If this is lens OIS, then why does it rattle when the camera is off? I've had a number of Fujifilm lenses with OIS, and they never rattled. You did hear a very slight hum when the camera was on and the OIS engaged, but never any other sounds. 

12 hours ago, kirkmc said:

If this is lens OIS, then why does it rattle when the camera is off? I've had a number of Fujifilm lenses with OIS, and they never rattled. You did hear a very slight hum when the camera was on and the OIS engaged, but never any other sounds. 

I had the Fuji 90mm f2 and when that was not on the camera the innards moved around like a restless child - truly alarming but a well known "feature". Recall tells me that did not even have OIS. 

I suspect the rattling is down to the OIS and/or focus methodology (voice coils which need power to hold things steady?). It is not a fault and certainly the case for the Fuji 90mm. 

13 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Several of my Fuji MF lenses rattle quite a bit. But the worst rattler is Fuji XF 70-300.

I’m not sure why this question has so many people all upset. Why not do your own test with it on and off and decide for yourself? Rather than let someone else tell you how to use your camera? Doesn’t that the most sense? 

I used the EM1 mark II for 2.5 years. I did my tests and I never turned it off, ever. It had zero effect on image quality. Actually even when in a tripod I got sharper results with it on. Olympus can’t be touched when it comes to IBIS. This is a Leica forum so it doesn’t matter what Olympus cameras do. 
When I get the Q3 I’ll test it out and decide and no let my past experience with Olympus influence my decision.

• Like 2

the Q2 manual states on page 57

"Prerequisite for activating image stabilization with Auto set:

– Exposure time is longer than 1⁄60 s
– During exposure (shutter button pressed down fully)"

So according to Leica if the prerequisites aren't both met it does nothing when set to Auto

Does it affect image quality at lower shutter speeds when active? I would guess less than my 60 year old shaky hands!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:04 PM, Miltz said:

I’m not sure why this question has so many people all upset. Why not do your own test with it on and off and decide for yourself? Rather than let someone else tell you how to use your camera? Doesn’t that the most sense? 

I used the EM1 mark II for 2.5 years. I did my tests and I never turned it off, ever. It had zero effect on image quality. Actually even when in a tripod I got sharper results with it on. Olympus can’t be touched when it comes to IBIS. This is a Leica forum so it doesn’t matter what Olympus cameras do. 
When I get the Q3 I’ll test it out and decide and no let my past experience with Olympus influence my decision.

Stop!!

Just stop talking common sense 😂😂

• Like 2